What does a Network Technician do?
A Network Technician coordinates and operates the use of local and wide area networks also known as LANs and WANs. Typically they work with other IT professionals or departments within an organization. Network Technicians are responsible for fixing, enhancing, installing, and operating networks for a company. A Network Technician may need to explain complicated computer and network issues to other staff members or company executives.
Network Technician skills and qualifications
A successful Network Technician has various prerequisite skills and qualifications required for the duties performed in this job. Some of these may include:
- Ability to evaluate and install computer hardware, network software, and operating system software
- Excellent attention-to-detail and ability to stay organized
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and work under pressure
- Physically fit and able to crouch and sit for long periods, and work in tight spaces
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks
- Knowledge of different network systems including security software programs
- Passion for learning and engaging with new network ideas
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
Network Technician experience requirements
Network technician candidates usually need to have some experience with computer networking. This could be from previous experience as a Network Technician, an internship, or another related role. For more senior roles, three to five years of experience should be required. If the role is with a larger organization then experience working with complex network systems may be preferred.
Network Technician training and education
The ideal Network Technician candidate has a university degree or college diploma in computer science, network administration, web technology, or another related field. Some applicants may also have certification from relevant software vendors. Some provinces require certification through a regulatory body such as the Certified Technicians and Technologists of Manitoba.
Network Technician salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a Network Technician in Canada is $70,134 per year. Actual salary can vary depending on experience, location, and the company that is hiring.
Job descriptions for similar roles
If a Network Technician is not what you are looking for, other related descriptions include: