Accounting Assistant duties and responsibilities
An Accounting Assistant will be responsible for managing various financial tasks. They will take on both administrative and bookkeeping tasks in either the public or private sectors. Some of the duties and responsibilities that are expected of an Accounting Manager in any industry might include:
- Manage payroll
- Manage accounts receivable and accounts payable by depositing cheques and preparing invoices
- Use computer software to manage reports and track financial data
- Manage company budgets
- Create and manage a systematic filing system
- Prepare documents for the company Accountant or for Internal Auditors
- Compile data for income tax returns
- Verify or reconcile bank transactions, complete deposits, or issue cheques
Accounting Assistant skills and qualifications
An Accounting Assistant will demonstrate the skills needed to balance the juggling act of managing financial clerical duties and administrative duties. Some skills and qualifications of a successful Accounting Assistant candidate include:
- Excellent organizational skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Aptitude with computer software programs utilized by the company
- Excellent administrative skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to self-motivate
- Ability to work together with others
Accounting Assistant experience requirements
An Accounting Assistant candidate does not need previous experience, but some experience with clerical work is a strong asset.
Accounting Assistant education and training requirements
An Accounting Assistant requires at least a secondary school diploma. While there is no specific certification for the Accounting Assistant position, certification from the Canadian Securities Institute, the Certified General Accountants Association of Canada, or the Canadian Bookkeepers Association is a strong asset.
In some industries, these certifications are required. Some Accounting Assistants may also need to be bonded in select industries.
Accounting Assistant salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for an Accounting Assistant in Canada is $19.21 per hour. Wages can range based on location, company, industry, experience, and level of certification.
Job description samples for similar positions
If this job description is not exactly what you had in mind, please browse some of the similar job description samples below to find the best fit for your company: