Development Director skills and qualifications
A successful Development Director has various prerequisite skills and qualifications required to perform their job, including:
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, planning, and prioritization skills
- Effective interaction with all levels of management
- Capable of meeting deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
- Strong leadership skills and ability to lead events, projects, campaigns or meetings
Development Director experience requirements
Look for candidates who have previous experience working in a business setting and in a leadership position. Those with five to seven years of experience are well-qualified. As Development Directors need to manage multiple projects at once, look for someone with Project Management experience. Candidates who are familiar with managing budgets or fundraising in other capacities are an asset.
Development Director education and training requirements
Generally, a bachelor’s degree in business administration, commerce, economics, or a related field is needed. Those with a master’s degree or other certification relevant to the industry are preferable. Candidates with additional Project Management Professional (PMP) certification are an asset. If the Development Director will work at a nonprofit organization, then you may prefer a fundraising certificate from an accredited college.
Development Director salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a Development Director in Canada is $102,401 per year. Salary can vary depending on the candidate’s experience, location, or company that is hiring.
Job description samples for similar positions
If a Development Director job description is not quite what you are looking for, other related job descriptions include: