Home Health Nurse job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so job seekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a Home Health Nurse job summary
Our home health care agency is rapidly expanding and we are hiring a Home Health Nurse effective immediately. We work with patients of all ages and backgrounds who require daily care in their homes. Most of our patients are elderly and/or terminally ill, so we hire the most compassionate and thoughtful talent in the field. You will be responsible for managing a heavy case load, so time management skills are essential. However, it is important to provide each patient with the time and attention necessary to meet his or her needs. If you enjoy working one-on-one with patients outside of a clinical setting, submit your resume.
Home Health Nurse responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the job reports to.
- Assess patients’ condition during every visit and chart your observations
- Perform evaluation tasks, including vital signs and medication review
- Administer medication as prescribed by the patient’s Physician
- Dress or redress open wounds and assess progress of healing
- Educate patients and their families on proper home health care strategies and procedures
- Coordinate with Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists, Physicians and anyone else involved in the patient’s care plan
- Provide palliative care as needed to keep the patient comfortable
- Make recommendations for devices or tools that might improve the patient’s quality of life
- Listen to the patient and respond to concerns or requests
Home Health Nurse qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful hire. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- Province-registered nurse license required
- 2+ years’ experience in in-home or palliative care required
- Excellent communication and time-management skills
- Compassionate and friendly demeanor
- Ability to travel to multiple patients per day