Process Engineer duties and responsibilities
A Process Engineer is a high-level engineering position responsible for overseeing the workflow of process development projects from start to finish. Some of the most common daily duties a Process Engineer candidate performs include:
- Evaluate and design the workflow process
- Develop, install, and maintain equipment to complete the production process
- Design and test the production processes
- Establish quality control guidelines for the production process
- Diagnose mechanical failures, determine solutions, and make repairs
- Supervise and lead manufacturing technicians in their duties
- Create reports with cost and time estimates for each project
Process Engineer skills and qualifications
Most Process Engineer candidates have some common skills, including:
- In-depth knowledge of process and mechanical engineering
- Excellent analytical and logic skills
- Effective communication skills
- Strong project management and leadership skills
- In-depth knowledge of engineering design and applied technologies
- Understanding of manufacturing, processing, and production
- Ability to work well with other engineers on the same project
Process Engineer experience requirements
A strong Processing Engineer candidate has a minimum of five years of experience working under the supervision of a Mechanical or Biochemical Engineer in a production setting. Experience as a Manufacturing Engineer is also acceptable, relevant experience that may be a strong asset in a Process Engineer candidate.
Process Engineer education and training requirements
Process Engineer candidates should have at least a university degree in process engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, or a related discipline. If they continue their education to earn a graduate degree like a master’s or Ph.D., candidates may be more qualified for research, development and management positions in the field.
In addition, an ideal Process Engineer candidate has industry licenses and certifications recognized by the regulatory bodies in their province or territory. For example, candidates in Ontario can earn a professional engineer licence through the Professional Engineers Ontario organization. This licence shows that a candidate has knowledge of engineering laws and ethics and experience in the industry.
Process Engineer salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a Process Engineer in Canada is $77,049 per year. Salaries may vary based on factors like geographical location, size and type of industry, and level of experience.
Job description samples for similar positions
If this job description isn’t exactly what you were looking for, consider browsing some similar samples, including: