Help Desk Technician duties and responsibilities
A Help Desk Technician balances several tasks, with primary duties and responsibilities including:
- Managing help desk tickets
- Providing solutions and advice on technical issues
- Creating manuals for technical training
- Using feedback from customers to improve problem-solving techniques and customer service
- Responding to texts, emails, and calls on technical issues
- Documenting and analyzing technical issues and customer interactions
- Attending training sessions and conferences to stay current with best practices on how to help customers with technical issues
Help Desk Technician skills and qualifications
A Help Desk Technician provides professional technical support by communicating clearly and positively with clients. A successful candidate needs both hard and soft skills to perform their duties. Some important skills and qualifications of a Help Desk Technician include:
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to quickly diagnose and resolve technical issues
- Exceptional teamwork and leadership skills to help other technical support workers
- Ability to learn new technologies and implement them
Help Desk Technician experience requirements
Help Desk Technicians need work experience to solve various technical issues and carry out other duties effectively. When going through resumes, look for applicants with at least two years of experience as a Help Desk Technician or those who have experience at related positions in call centres, customer service, or IT.
Help Desk Technicians must be familiar with various computers and operating systems such as Linux, Windows, and macOS. They must also know how to use software management tools and techniques and be familiar with troubleshooting techniques. Other experience requirements depend on your company’s needs and industry.
Help Desk Technician education and training requirements
Help Desk Technicians can typically be successful with a high school diploma or GED. However, candidates with a college degree in computer science, network administration, or computer programming are typically preferred. Additional training certificates in information technology infrastructure, network administration, and computer repair are beneficial for a Help Desk Technician.
A CompTIA A+ certificate is also acceptable as it provides applicants with knowledge of operating systems, software, and security. Help Desk Technicians can also earn a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) designation. Other education and training requirements vary based on your hiring organization’s needs.
Help Desk Technician salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary of a Help Desk Technician in Canada is $46,557 per year. This can very depending on location, experience, and the hiring company.
Job description samples for similar positions
If a Help Desk Technician job description isn’t what you are looking for, related job descriptions include: