What does a Caterer do?
The role of a Caterer is to provide excellent customer service by supplying events with food and drinks. A Caterer meets with clients who are hosting events to learn about their preferences and to create customized menus for the event. Prior to the event, a Caterer sources and buys all the food and beverages required, and they also hire and train staff including Waitstaff, Bartenders and Cleaners. Caterers also make sure that invoices are paid in full and on time by customers.
Caterer skills and qualifications
A successful Caterer will have a variety of prerequisite skills and qualifications required for the job, including:
- Ability to work in fast-paced environments
- Excellent conflict management resolution and problem-solving skills
- Ability to provide feedback for all catering staff members
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both oral and written
- Outstanding relationship management skills and emotional intelligence
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with team members at all levels
- Ability to supervise and expedite both on-site and off-site events
- Knowledge of performance evaluation procedures
Caterer experience requirements
Caterers generally need previous experience working in the hospitality industry. Candidates with over three years’ experience are well-versed in food and beverage knowledge, customer service, and are comfortable working in fast-paced environments. Previous cooking experience is an asset, but previous experience working as a caterer is preferable.
Caterer training and education requirements
When reviewing resumes for Caterers, you may want to look for candidates with a high school diploma, GED or higher certification. While some on-the-job training is necessary, it’s preferable for applicants to have formal cooking or baking experience. Candidates with a college diploma from accredited institutions, like George Brown College’s Chef School in Toronto, are well-qualified. Candidates may also need a valid driver’s licence to deliver catering orders to clients.
Caterer salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average pay for a Caterer in Canada is $16.77 per hour. Wages can increase depending on experience, location, or the company that is hiring.
Job description samples for similar positions
If a Caterer is not what you are looking for, some other related job descriptions include: