Police job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so job seekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a Police job summary
Our department is interested in hiring two Police Officers who will be sworn to serving the community. The successful candidates will be responsible for investigating crimes, apprehending criminals and working with the community to help reduce the instances of crimes that occur. If you have a strong dedication to public service and a background in law enforcement, we encourage you to submit an application today.
Police responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the job reports to.
- Respond immediately to citizen calls for assistance and to alarms triggered at homes and businesses
- Maintain a presence in the community that helps to deter crime and provide support to citizens
- Help to secure crime scenes and ensure that evidence is not removed or tampered with
- Act as a police presence at public events and provide security for municipal gatherings
- Identify potential criminal activity or other hazardous situations and take the proper actions to protect citizens and property
Police qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful hire. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- Associate Degree in Criminal Justice or associated field
- Basic Law Enforcement Training Course completion certificate required from sanctioned training facility
- Valid driver’s licence with clean driving record