What does a Teacher do?
The job description of a teacher varies from one institution to another. Generally, they prepare lesson plans and educate students at different education levels. A Teacher must typically be able to instruct students in a variety of subjects and develop engaging lesson plans to reach their pupils effectively. They can be trained to teach subjects in areas centered around numeracy and literacy, craftsmanship, or life skills. Their formal teaching tasks include assessing the progress of their students, delivering educational lectures, and developing lesson plans based on a designated curriculum.
Teacher skills and qualifications
Due to the demanding nature of their work, which involves educating students from different backgrounds, capabilities, and beliefs, a Teacher must possess some essential skills to successfully interact and engage with each individual student. A strong Teacher candidate will have various prerequisite skills and qualifications needed for their duties, including:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong creativity skills that will engage students and make learning enjoyable
- Strong dedication to their work with a great desire for the success of their students
- Proven ability to draw lesson plans, organize academic activities, and maintain an organized class
- Strong emotional control skills when handling sensitive issues
- A keen eye to monitor their students’ progress and note changes in behaviours or attitudes
- Ability to lead and form a bond with students, parents, colleagues, and other staff members
- Excellent critical thinking skills with the ability to answer difficult questions, solve conflicts, and design new lesson plans
Teacher experience requirements
Most employers require Elementary School Teachers to have experience working with children, preferably in a teaching, substitute teaching, or assistant teaching role. Middle and High School Teachers should have work experience teaching or assistant teaching the subjects they’re hired to instruct. Many teachers may also need experience using basic presentation and lecturing tools, such as PowerPoint presentations, printers, and projectors.
Teacher education and training requirements
The entry-level educational requirements for a Teacher are a bachelor’s degree in education, arts, sciences, or humanities. The candidate must also have a teaching licence in order to teach in private or public schools.
Teacher salary and expectations
According to Indeed salaries, the average pay for a Teacher in Canada is $22.90 per hour. This figure varies depending on schools, level of qualification, and districts.
Job description samples for similar positions
If a Teacher is not what you were looking for, consider some related job descriptions including: