What does a Warehouse Manager do?
A Warehouse Manager performs the administrative tasks required in a warehouse and related facilities. They ensure proper and orderly storage or goods, liaise with customers, ensure the availability of necessary equipment and space within the warehouse to facilitate proper storage, and maintain an inventory of items stored or shipped.
Warehouse Manager skills and qualifications
Operating a warehouse requires a Warehouse Manager with a good mastery of the requirements of the industry. To be successful, a Warehouse Manager candidate must have a combination of skills and qualifications that align with the products they are handling, including:
- Flexibility, as most warehouses operate in shifts
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work on strategic and tactical levels with excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent IT and technical skills, especially with spreadsheets and data management
- Decisiveness, initiative, attention to detail, and high accuracy
- Analytical ability as well as organizing and planning skills to effectively manage the flow of stock
- People management skills, including the ability to explain ideas, delegate work, motivate, and lead and inspire members of the team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Warehouse Manager experience requirements
A Warehouse Manager candidate generally should have two to three years of experience working in a busy environment. They should also be experienced in administration, as much of their duties will be administrative. Previous management experience, especially in a similar environment, is a plus.
Warehouse Manager education and training requirements
A Warehouse Manager position generally requires a candidate to have a diploma or bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as transport management, supply chain management, retail management, operational research, business management, economics, or business information systems.
Warehouse Manager salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a Warehouse Manager is $48,010 per year. This may vary depending on the region, company, or the employee’s level of experience.
Job description sample for similar positions
Other job description samples are available if this is not quite what you are looking for, including: