Line Cook duties and responsibilities
The daily duties and responsibilities of a Line Cook can be straightforward and somewhat common, though the types and number of meals they prepare can vary from day to day. These duties can include:
- Memorizing recipes, policies, procedures, and standard portion sizes
- Preparing ingredients and components of each recipe on the restaurant’s menu
- Maintaining freshness of product and rotating old product out
- Working with a team of Cooks to handle varying levels of activity
- Maintaining a clean, sanitary, and safe workspace at all times to avoid contamination
- Being aware of and following all kitchen health and safety regulations and guidelines
Line Cook skills and qualifications
Functioning as a Line Cook requires a professional demeanor and the ability to adapt to constantly changing situations. Some of the key skills and qualifications required for the position include:
- Professional and responsible conduct
- Comfortable in fast-paced, high-pressure environments
- Teamwork skills
- Good verbal communication skills
- Organizational skills
Line Cook experience requirements
Line Cooks need to have extensive experience in food preparation and cooking. The level of familiarity with general restaurant policies and procedures that this entails often requires at least one to three years of experience working in a restaurant.
Line Cook education and training requirements
To ensure that Line Cooks have the basic skills and responsibilities they need to perform their job duties, a high school diploma or GED is generally required. Line Cooks may also be required to have a relevant college degree and/or certificate in the culinary arts if they don’t have relevant work experience. While certifications aren’t always needed for this job, some can be helpful for the Line Cook, including culinary arts certificates, ServSave Food Handler certificates, private chef certifications, and other specialist certifications.
Line Cook salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, a Line Cook in Canada can expect to make an average salary of $16.12 per hour. This rate may be dependent on experience, location, and employer.
Job description samples for similar positions
If the job description sample for a Line Cook is not quite what you’re looking for, there are other similar jobs that may provide additional information: