What does an Assistant Manager do?
An Assistant Manager handles various leadership tasks such as setting clear performance objectives and conducting performance reviews. They also create staff schedules and resolve employee conflicts when needed. Assistant Managers often provide support to the Manager with internal and external communications as well. They may also manage relationships with vendors or clients on behalf of management.
Assistant Manager skills and qualifications
A successful Assistant Manager candidate has various prerequisite skills and qualifications that prepare them for the duties of this job, including:
- Quick-thinking skills to use the best judgment in fast-paced environments
- Independence to work alone without extensive direction
- Teamwork skills to collaborate and lead the sales team
- Strong interpersonal skills to create relationships with both customers and the team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to maneuver around a sales floor, stockroom, and office, and keep these areas organized
- Naturally driven and motivated by metrics and sales numbers to achieve goals
Assistant Manager experience requirements
Three to five years of experience working as a Retail Associate or a Product Specialist is ideal. Look for candidates who have experience with similar products, or at least within the same industry. Assistant Managers need extensive product knowledge and must be familiar with industry-specific terminology. Applicants who have held a leadership position for at least two years are confident in leading and motivating a team are well-qualified.
Assistant Manager education and training requirements
Applicants should have a high school diploma, GED, or higher academic certification. Candidates with post-secondary education are an asset, especially those with education related to your company’s industry. Prior leadership training is usually a transferrable skill.
Assistant Manager salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average pay for an Assistant Manager in Canada is $17.17 per hour. Rates can vary depending on experience, location, or the company that is hiring.
Job description for similar positions
If an Assistant Manager isn’t quite what you are looking for, other related job descriptions include: