Veterinary Assistant duties and responsibilities
A Veterinary Assistant takes on many responsibilities to ensure they give the best support so Veterinarians get their job done efficiently. Specific duties and responsibilities of Veterinary Assistants include:
- Feeding and providing water to animals at regular intervals throughout the day
- Grooming and bathing animals
- Sterilizing equipment and regularly cleaning examination areas
- Handling and soothing animals during examinations, treatments, and vaccinations
- Recording relevant information about animals, including weight and types of medication given
- Advising owners of pets about caring for their animals at home
Veterinary Assistant skills and qualifications
Successful Veterinary Assistants need a variety of soft skills and technical knowledge to excel in their jobs. Some of the most important skills and qualifications include:
- Expert animal handling skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks depending on needs
- Good organizational skills
- Technical know-how in areas such as disinfection, administering medication, and using diagnostic equipment
- Computer skills to maintain medical records about animals in veterinary software
Veterinary Assistant experience requirements
Veterinary Assistants usually need to demonstrate some experience in working with or caring for animals. The main experience requirement for entry-level Veterinary Assistants is volunteer work at an animal shelter or clinic. Some clinics and animals hospitals offer internships, which aim to give short, practical introductions to the veterinary field.
Veterinary Assistant education and training requirements
The minimum education Veterinary Assistants need is a high school diploma. You may ask candidates for specific certificates or training programs. For Veterinary Assistant roles dependent on specific software, you may ask candidates for a certificate that demonstrates proficiency using that software.
Veterinary Assistant salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a Veterinary Assistant is $37,000 per year. The salary a Veterinary Assistant earns depends on the company hiring, the job’s location, and the level of experience of candidates.
Job description samples for similar positions
If Veterinary Assistant isn’t the role you’re looking to write a job description for, some sample job descriptions for related roles include: