What does a Marketing Director do?
A Marketing Director creates a strategic outline for a company’s marketing efforts to help direct the work of the teams working under their supervision. They assess marketing plans and carry out competitor research to help improve the company’s campaigns. The Marketing Director also coordinates projects to make sure they are completed on time and are in line with the requirements of the overall strategy. Additionally, they manage the marketing department’s budget and identify potential customers for the firm’s products or services.
Marketing Director skills and qualifications
A Marketing Director is an effective communicator, and they easily but effectively explain campaign strategies to staff in their department. They are also expected to be comfortable with taking the lead in developing ideas and strategies for new campaigns. Some of the most important skills for the role include:
- Excellent copywriting skills and an understanding of the industry standards for marketing promotion and success
- Ability to manage large projects and see them to their expected completion
- Thorough understanding of a range of marketing techniques, such as digital marketing and social media marketing
- Deep understanding of how to effectively communicate with different audiences, including staff and customers
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking abilities to keep up with a range of responsibilities
- Ability to maintain strong relations with important stakeholders, like advertisers or commercial customers
Marketing Director experience requirements
A Marketing Director is expected to have gained a track record in running a marketing team. In addition, they have extensive knowledge of marketing sector trends, including new technological developments and industry-specific matters. This typically requires between five and 10 years of work experience in a marketing role.
Marketing Director education and training requirements
A Marketing Director typically requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, although successful applicants can come from a broad range of backgrounds. You may prefer candidates to have a master’s degree, which means they will have more advanced project management and research skills.
The Certified Marketing Management Professionals (CMMP) organization in Canada offers certification for professionals who want to demonstrate their expertise in the field. The course allows professionals to specialize in specific areas of marketing, such as community marketing or digital marketing.
Marketing Director Salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, a Marketing Director earns on average $84,626 per year in Canada. Salaries can vary depending on factors such as the size of the company, the experience of the Marketing Director, and the industry they work in.
Job description samples for similar positions
If this job description sample isn’t quite what you’re looking for, other samples include: