What does a Product Marketing Manager do?
Product Marketing Managers assist companies to deliver product news, discover ways to position the products in the market, and present messages that will induce a positive effect on their products and services. They also handle research on trending products in the market, establish the time scales for product releases, influence the product packaging and pricing, and participate in presentations and events.
Product Marketing Managers are the customers’ voice to the product development team. They perform thorough research to understand the customers’ needs and experiences and recommend improvements to increase sales. Product Marketing Managers often work in the private sector in companies that promote and sell products.
Product Marketing Manager skills and qualifications
Experienced Product Marketing Managers have excellent time management, communication, and interpersonal skills. Other key skills that candidates require to succeed as Product Marketing Managers include:
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including copywriting and salesmanship
- Industry-specific expertise and technical knowledge of a particular product or market
- Deep understanding of sales methods and channels through which the products are marketed into
- Ability to influence teams and customers
- Ability to work collaboratively with sales, marketing, and production teams to meet customer needs
- Presentation skills and the ability to explain marketing strategies to other teams in the organization
- In-depth understanding of the business basics, revenue projections, business metrics, and financial planning
- Excellent problem-solving skill and a passion to understand customer problems and devise solutions to solve them
Product Marketing Manager experience requirements
Product Marketing Managers are often required to have over five years of product marketing experience and at least two years of experience working directly with customers. Previous experience in public speaking, dealing with different people of various age groups, and writing can also be essential. Candidates must also have a background in design, market analysis, and web analytics using tools such as Google Analytics and WebTrends. Additional experience in creating effective marketing programs and event management are also essential.
Product Marketing Manager education and training requirements
Candidates with a bachelor’s degree in business management, business administration, communication, marketing or other related courses are preferable. Candidates with a master’s degree in business administration, communication or marketing usually have a competitive advantage over those that don’t. Those with a higher national diploma can also get the position if they have adequate experience and skills. Candidates must also continue with their education to build additional expertise in current market trends and platforms.
Product Marketing Manager salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary expectation for a Product Marketing Manager in Canada is $66,965 per year. Actual salary is dependent on experience, company, education and location.
Job description samples for similar positions
If a Product Marketing Manager job description sample is not quite what you were looking for, below are similar job description samples that may fit your needs.