Sales Associate duties and responsibilities
The duties of a Sales Associate may vary depending on the size of the company and the type of products or services they sell. Their main responsibility is to sell the company’s products and services and increase sales. They are also required to work with customer support and the operation teams to ensure customer satisfaction. Their other duties include:
- Performing various administrative duties, such as preparing commission and expense reports, and conducting post-sale followups with the customers
- Working with other employees to develop effective strategies to meet sales targets
- Managing inventory by keeping records of available products
- Processing sales transactions and sales contracts and receiving payments
- Creating awareness and promoting special offers and loyalty programs
- Managing client relationships through all the stages of the sales cycle
- Ensuring that customers are fully satisfied with the services offered
Sales Associate skills and qualifications
Sales Associates represent the company and are required to promote the company’s products and services through excellent customer service. As an active advertiser of different merchandise, they should be good communicators. Top Sales Associates also have excellent relationship building skills, which are needed to interact with customers. Other skills also include:
- Critical and analytical thinking to provide logical answers to customers’ questions
- Empathy to understand customers’ needs
- Knowledge of the current trends in the consumer goods sector
- Understanding of basic mathematics to measure products, prepare invoices, and analyze sales data
- Familiarity with digital technology and its applications in sales
- Knowledge of management, finance, and business
- Experience working under pressure
Sales Associates experience requirements
Sales Associate jobs are mostly entry-level, so a qualified candidate is required to have between one to three years of experience in sales or customer service. Since they act as a promoter of the company’s products and brand, one to two years of experience as a Marketer is often preferred. They should also be familiar with products and services in the industry they are interested in.
Depending on the job and the company, the Sales Associatess may also need more specialized knowledge and experience to help customers navigate the buyer’s journey. For more complex or expensive merchandise, some employers require candidates to have relevant experience in a similar industry or position. They may also be required to demonstrate their sales ability and knowledge of the product.
Sales Associate education and training requirements
As an entry-level position, a minimum of a high school diploma, GED, or its equivalent may be required. Some employers, however, ask that candidates have a bachelor’s degree in marketing, business management, or any other related field.
Because of the complexity of some merchandise, candidates may also be required to have professional certifications in the required field. To be a vehicle salesperson in British Columbia, for example, candidates are required to be certified by the Vehicle Sales Authority of British Columbia.
Sales Associate salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a Sales Associate is $15.01 per hour. However, salary may vary because of the location, experience, and the company.
Job description samples for a similar position
If what you are looking for is quite not a Sales Associate job description, check out other related job description templates below: