Program Manager, Retrofit Implementation
Program Manager, Retrofit Implementation
Join us! We’re passionate about making progress on climate action and committed to making a positive difference in communities. ZEIC is seeking a Retrofit Implementation Program Manager to help build a provincial Retrofit Accelerator. If you are passionate about decarbonization and knowledgeable about building retrofits, please apply with a cover letter and resume by Monday, Nov 13, 2023.
About the Metro Vancouver Zero Emissions Innovation Centre
Seeded by a $21.7 million federal endowment, the Zero Emission Innovation Centre (ZEIC) is a purpose-built charitable organization dedicated to market transformation and enabling zero carbon communities and economies across the region and province. ZEIC is part of the Low Carbon Cities Canada (LC3) Network established by the Government of Canada and the Federation of Canadian Municipalities.
ZEIC’s vision is that, together, we enable a new era of climate action and innovation for an inclusive, prosperous, and healthy zero carbon future in our region by 2050. We advance urban climate solutions in the building, transportation, and renewable energy sectors through (1) partnerships and collaborations, (2) impact investment, (3) granting, and (4) education, training, and capacity-building.
Working with governments, Indigenous partners, industry, and others, we support ambitious climate policy, address barriers, and catalyze, accelerate, and scale innovation to strengthen equitable and resilient communities for current and future generations. To deliver impact, we:
- Connect and activate partners, investors and action-takers;
- Demonstrate and showcase viable solutions; and
- Invest in capacity building and readiness to scale climate actions.
ZEIC’s strategic directions align with provincial, regional, and local climate action plans. Our programs help communities make progress towards their 2030 emissions reduction targets. Equity, long-term affordability, community health and well-being, environmental protection, and economic development are integral to how we develop and deliver our climate action programs.
About ZEIC’s Zero Emissions Building Exchange Program Area
The Zero Emissions Building Exchange (ZEBx) is a program of ZEIC that specializes in the decarbonization of new and existing buildings. It serves as an industry Centre of Excellence that strengthens the public, private, and civic capacities for zero-emissions buildings in Vancouver and throughout British Columbia. Working closely with industry and governments, ZEBx facilitates knowledge exchange between practitioners in the building industry and maintains a community of practice through events, resource development and communications. It acts as a hub, interconnecting industry silos, and collaborates with industry associations, governments, utilities, researchers, educational institutions, suppliers and global experts.
As Program Manager, Retrofit Implementation, you will be part of ZEIC’s ZEBx Program team and will help shape a dynamic organization and its climate-action programming through collaborations, research, analysis, outreach and engagement, and capacity building initiatives. Working within a small, motivated, and inter- disciplinary team, the Program Manager will play a key role as an in-house technical specialist on retrofits.
The successful applicant will assist in establishing retrofit implementation best practices, tools and supports as part of the ZEIC Retrofit Accelerator for residential and commercial buildings. They will also play a leadership role in the development and implementation of retrofit concierge services for building owners. The position is for a three-year term with a possibility of extension subject to availability funding.
Key contacts and reporting relationships:
The position reports to the Senior Manager of Retrofit Accelerator Programs. The position will contribute to programs and initiatives involving cross-functional project teams that may include other ZEIC staff, and/or external partners and contributors. In close collaboration with other staff, you will support diverse activities and engage with building owners and a range of organizations across sectors, including different levels of government, utilities, industry, non-profits, academia, community associations and various other agencies and collaborators.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Stay abreast of current issues and opportunities related to climate action, with a particular focus on building decarbonization, retrofits, and building electrification;
- Advance a holistic view of climate action that seeks innovative and pragmatic approaches to greenhouse gas emissions reductions and integrates multiple objectives in key areas such as climate adaptation and resilience, equity, public health, biodiversity, ecosystems health and protection, stewardship, transportation, land use planning and urban design, economic development, green jobs, and social enterprise, community-building, and reconciliation with Indigenous peoples;
- Other duties, as required
Key focus areas for position:
While providing Retrofit Accelerator program technical knowledge, tools, and concierge services are the main focal points for the position, we recognize that prospective candidates may have experience in some areas more than others. We encourage diverse candidates with diverse experiences who are prepared to build on their strengths and areas of expertise and willing to learn and grow their capacity through the role.
(1) Retrofit Specialist and Development of Retrofit Accelerator Program Tools and Supports
- Conduct engagement, research, benchmarking and analysis to inform and support retrofit program design, delivery, evaluation, and adaptation;
- Support the development of tools, templates and other resources that align with emerging industry best practices to support building owners through the retrofit process;
- Represent ZEIC in multi-stakeholder program development and retrofit project meetings to ensure the desired outcomes of the Retrofit Accelerator are met; and
- Assist with setting up program implementation systems, documents and templates.
(2) Support implementation of the Retrofit Accelerator Concierge program
- Work with building owners to collect information to inform and document retrofit processes;
- Support building owners as they work with professional services providers to interpret technical reports and make informed choices about retrofit projects;
- Assist in the creation of systems and procedures for the efficient collection, management and analysis of program and retrofit project data; and
- Oversee the development and management of third party retrofit project measurement and verification (M&V) for buildings that are part of Retrofit Accelerator program.
(1) Education and experience:
- Degree in Engineering, Architecture, Building Energy Systems or related field from a recognized post- secondary institution or relevant combination of education and experience; and
- A minimum of five years of project and/or program management experience in the building sector, preferably related to retrofits, renovations, energy conservation and/or electrification projects; or
- A relevant combination of the above-noted education and experience; and
- Project Management Professional certification would be an asset.
(2) Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and demonstrated commitment to addressing climate action with a passion for sustainability, climate mitigation and adaption, equity and reconciliation with Indigenous peoples.
- Technical: (a) Strong knowledge and technical proficiency in building mechanical systems. Knowledge of electrical systems, building envelope, and controls systems an asset;(b) Knowledge of energy audits/studies, building decarbonization plans and asset management and capital planning documents (e.g. building condition assessments, depreciation reports); (c) Clear understanding of energy conservation opportunities; (d) Ability to understand architectural, mechanical and electrical drawings and specifications; (e) Knowledge of both shallow and deep energy and building decarbonization retrofits; (f) Familiarity with BC building codes and permitting requirements an asset; and(g) Familiarity with building system commissioning and monitoring and verification protocols.
- Program Management: (a) Project management experience, preferably related to implementation of retrofit or high- efficiency new construction projects; (b) Demonstrated capacity as a collaborator, self-starter, quick-learner, and ability to work independently while functioning effectively in a team environment; (c) Familiarity with procurement, Request For Proposal (RFP) and evaluation processes; (d) Experience developing contracts and managing consultants and/or contractors; and (e) Strong organizational and time-management skills to effectively deal with multiple tasks of moderate to high complexity and ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Communication and Engagement: (a) Excellent written and verbal communication skills, experience with preparing succinct reports; (b) Ability to communicate complex technical/process information to non-technical audiences; and (c) Experience and demonstrated capacity to effectively engage and communicate with a diverse spectrum of stakeholders from condo owners, commercial building owners and operations staff to general contractors, engineers, and architects.
Range $90,000-$110,000/year + vacation + flexible wellness days + generous health and RRSP benefits.
Candidates must have current eligibility to work in Canada. ZEIC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and with non-traditional qualifications. We care about and have policies to support equity, diversity and inclusion and a respectful workplace. We have a hybrid workplace and can accommodate in-person and work-from-home. Flexible and part-time arrangements will be considered. Occasional evening and/or weekend work and travel will be required.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 36 months
Salary: $90,000.00-$110,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Work from home
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Vancouver, BC V6B 5K3: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Have you included a cover letter? Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Vancouver, BC V6B 5K3
Application deadline: 2023-11-13