Meat Processor - Lead Hand - Raw Meat Department
Full job description
Located in the picturesque town of St. Jacobs, Heidelberg Foods Ltd. specializes in premium quality, great tasting, shelf stable meat products and meat snacks. We operate out of a state-of-the-art BRC Global Standard certified, federally registered, CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency) regulated meat processing facility with additional facilities available in the Kitchener/Waterloo region to support expansion in Canada and internationally. All products are naturally wood smoked and made from the finest quality meats and spices, with no fillers. Our Noah Martin Country Store brand and private label customers' brands are enjoyed nationally and can be found at many chain grocery stores, delicatessens and independents.
Heidelberg Foods Ltd. has an opening in its RAW production area at its St. Jacobs location.
- Understand and adhere to all relevant and appropriate requirements of the Heidelberg Foods Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s), Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI), HACPP, FSEP, Safety Policy and all relevant legislation
- Develops a “learning culture” wherein employees are fully trained in their specific responsibilities and are able to either think through all aspects of production or know to reference the resource documents that are required. These include SOP’s. These are to be consulted prior to asking the Supervisor
- Oversee all activities in the RAW area including Formulation, Chopping, Stuffing, Smokehouses and Receiving.
- Coordinate the stuffing and curing schedules by reviewing the daily requirements then arranging so as to maximize production efficiency
- Ensure that all products are made exactly to specifications which include #1 quality, correct weights and lengths, lot codes, dates, product description. This is done through a combination of employee training and hourly monitoring of production and records
- Responsible to manage employees as appropriate by providing direction, coaching and training as required and in accordance with HFL policies and procedures and all relevant legislation such as the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the Employment Standards Act, etc.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace and for being a “competent” lead hand as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Understand the standard operating and safe operating procedures of all areas of responsibility and ensures all employees are trained and follow procedures
- Inform the Raw Supervisor or Plant Manager of any safety and/or efficiency deficiencies
- Ensure that all products being processed and transferred for cooking are properly labelled and identified. This must be monitored not less than each hour.
- Complete all required production sheets. Rack tags and rack logs a day before scheduled production.
- Print daily production schedule and deliver to stuffing, chopping, and formulating lines.
- Enter chops sheets and rack logs into traverse at the end of each production day.
- Place order early morning to warehouse for items needed for the next day. This will include spices, meats, casings, sawdust, materials for employees to work thoroughly and safely.
- Pick-up paperwork from office when corrections need to be made.
- Oversee smokehouse probe calibrations completed once per month.
- Verify daily pre op at the beginning and middle of the day.
- Verify temperature checks around the department beginning and middle of the day.
- Verify handheld thermometers are being calibrated once per week.
- Make sure smokehouses are cleaned when available at least every two weeks.
- Smoke generators and tar buckets cleaned every two weeks.
- Work in any position as required.
- Assure employees wear safety equipment when using chemicals
- Scale calibrations for the five scales in Raw one per week and document findings in the scale calibration binder
- Fill sanitation binder out when tasks are completed.
- Chemical count when procurement asks for inventory
- Oversee weekly meat and spice count (Friday after production)
- Oversee month end inventory counts
- Fill out daily Raw production report
- Post weekly job duties for the following week on Friday
- Tidy up rack room when employees are busy
- Make sure dry good room is clean and tidy
- Make sure utility room is tidy
- Open communication with RTE staff
Strictly comply with the following CCP’s:
- 1B Fermented product
- 2B Heat
- 3B Water Activity
- Minimum of 2 years experience in the meat industry. Preferably with operating Handtmann stuffers, bowl choppers, grinders, smokehouses, etc.
- Time and priority management
- Communication and leadership
- Employee relations
- Mentorship and training
- Attention to detail
- Compliance with all appropriate policies, procedures and legislation
Position is hourly: 40 - 44 hours per week
Day Shift at an hourly rate of $$24.60 - $27.49 (depending upon experience) **Plus Benefits after three month probationary period.**.
Typical Hours: Monday to Friday 6:00am – 3:30pm or 6:30am – 4:00pm (Shift start times may vary depending upon production schedules.)
Production environment temperature is 4 degrees Celsius or lower. Need to dress appropriately. Freezer jackets are supplied.
For any job applicants selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $24.60-$27.49 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Day shift
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
- Overtime pay
Work Location: In person