What does a UX Designer do?
The scope of a UX Designer’s job focuses on creating the user interface of an application, website, game, and other programs, based on wireframing, research, and more. Ideally, a UX Designer ensures an accurate translation of a company’s requirements into design. They measure and optimize web-based applications to enhance usability while creating the best user experience by exploring several approaches to solving end-user problems. A UX Designer works hand-in-hand with company stakeholders and product owners to strategize and develop a suite of applications for various operating systems including Windows, Web, Android, and iOS.
UX Designer skills and qualifications
A potential UX Designer should have developed research skills, know how to analyze user data, and be familiar with conducting effective surveys. They use their naturally curious mind to make connections between a diverse set of business problems. Look for these qualifications in a UX Designer candidate:
- Willingness to explore industry trends in technology and design with the entire development team
- Extensive understanding of mobile and web platforms
- Being a highly organized workshop facilitator who knows how to prepare, analyze, and run a workshop with the clients and the team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with proven ability to present concepts, ideas, and insights to the project team and clients
- Familiarity with information architecture and interaction design
- Background in project research and management, and a strong portfolio of design projects
UX Designer experience requirements
There are no specific experience requirements for a UX Designer. It’s more important for candidates to have relevant education or training. However, candidates with research, analysis, quality assurance, or website design experience have transferrable skills that prepare them for the role. Look for a candidate with experience preparing detailed competitive consumer analyses.
UX Designer education and training requirements
Look for candidates with a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, science, web design, or relevant field. They must have an advanced understanding of research techniques, the functions of e-commerce, and C2C marketplace. There are various online courses that teach hands-on UX design techniques and prepare candidates for the role. Candidates may require valuable experience with design software such as Balsamiq and UXPin.
UX Designer salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a UX Designer in Canada is $70,487 per year. Salaries vary depending on the location, company, and the candidate’s experience.
Job description samples for similar positions
If a UX Designer is not quite what you’re looking for, other relevant job description samples that may suit your search include: