Software Architect job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so job seekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a Software Architect job summary
Our HR applications firm is currently seeking an experienced Software Architect. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing, developing and implementing software solutions to address complex business issues, and providing technical leadership within the IT department. The ideal applicant will able to thrive in a highly collaborative workplace and actively engage in the development process. This is an excellent career opportunity for a professional with an impressive architectural design background and excellent interpersonal skills.
Software Architect responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the job reports to.
- Design, develop and execute software solutions to address business issues
- Provide architectural blueprints and technical leadership to our IT team
- Evaluate and recommend tools, technologies and processes to ensure the highest quality product platform
- Collaborate with peer organizations, quality assurance and end users to produce cutting-edge software solutions
- Interpret business requirements to articulate the business needs to be addressed
- Troubleshoot code level problems quickly and efficiently
Software Architect qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful hire. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- 5+ years’ experience designing and building software applications
- Proficiency with Java
- Experience working on complex software projects
- Knowledge of C++/object oriented programs, SQL, web application development, security and open source technologies