Shipping Clerk duties and responsibilities
There are several daily duties required of a Shipping Clerk. Some common tasks expected of a Shipping Clerk in any industry include:
- Keep secure records of ingoing and outgoing inventory
- Pack and unpack materials
- Maintain quality control of goods by verifying incoming and outgoing shipments
- Supervise and manage warehouse workers to ensure goods are packed, labeled and stored properly
- Schedule shipments
- Prepare and/or sign off on shipping documents (i.e.: bills of lading, invoices, etc.)
- Report any damaged stock or equipment to superiors
- Ensure warehouse workers safely dispose of leftover packing materials or hazardous waste
Shipping Clerk skills and qualifications
A successful Shipping Clerk candidate will have an excellent understanding of warehouse inventory and management, and experience leading a team. Other skills and qualifications include:
- Valid driver’s license and/or certification to operate a forklift or other machinery in the warehouse
- Experience in warehouse work or inventory recording
- Have some basic clerical knowledge or experience
Shipping Clerk experience requirements
An ideal candidate for a Shipping Clerk position will have experience in a warehouse setting. They should also have experience with shipping, receiving, inventory collection, and using computer software necessary to create invoices, packing slips and bills of lading.
Shipping Clerk education and training requirements
A Shipping Clerk generally requires a high school diploma and a valid driver’s licence. They may also need to hold a valid certificate for operating transportation vehicles, depending on the industry.
For warehouses dealing with hazardous products, the Shipping Clerk may also require certification to work with and dispose of hazardous waste, from governing bodies such as Transport Canada and the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS).
Shipping Clerk salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average hourly rate for a Shipping Clerk is $16.98. Wages may vary by employer, industry, experience and location.
Job description samples for similar positions
If this isn’t exactly the job description sample you’re looking for, browse some other sample job descriptions below including: