Restaurant Manager duties and responsibilities
A Restaurant Manager will have many day-to-day tasks to keep the establishment running smoothly. Some of the duties and responsibilities that a typical Restaurant Manager will be expected to do include:
- Hire and train staff
- Keep track of inventory and place orders with suppliers accordingly
- Manage customer complaints
- Create schedules for staff
- Make sure all health and safety regulations are followed at all times
- Monitor the restaurant’s sales
- Develop and follow a budget to maximize restaurant profits
- Develop or contribute to marketing plans to promote the establishment
Restaurant Manager skills and qualifications
The ideal Restaurant Manager candidate will demonstrate the necessary skills to handle the fast-paced and ever-changing atmosphere of a busy restaurant. They should also have the proper skills to communicate openly with their team and clientele. Other qualifications include:
- Strong organizational skills
- Management skills and ability to lead a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong analytical and reporting skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work together as a team
Restaurant Manager experience requirements
A successful Restaurant Manager candidate will have experience working as a restaurant employee. A former cook or wait staff employee will have the base needed to understand the workflow of a restaurant and the skills required in a manager. Though many of the tasks are learned on-the-job, experience working at any level in a restaurant is essential to this management role. Experience in a managerial position is often considered an additional strong asset for the Restaurant Manager position.
Restaurant Manager education and training requirements
There are no formal education requirements for a Restaurant Manager in Canada. The only certification required is beverage service certification if the establishment serves alcohol. Candidates with a diploma in Hospitality or Food Service Management are generally considered an asset to any restaurant, cafeteria, bar, reception hall, or similar establishment setting.
Restaurant Manager salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average hourly wage for a Restaurant Manager is $20.47. This salary can vary based on factors like restaurant size and type, location, employer, and years of experience.
Job description samples for similar positions
If this job description sample doesn’t fit the position you’re looking to fill, browse some similar job description postings below to find the best fit for your establishment.