Psychiatrist job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so job seekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a Psychiatrist job summary
Our suburban psychiatric practice needs a dedicated Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist to join our team. We’re looking for a compassionate, devoted individual who enjoys working with children and teens to solve all types of problems, from serious mental illness to adjustment difficulties. The successful candidate will be the only medical staff member to focus on youths, which means he or she will be responsible for designing his or her own program and referring patients as necessary. We also have a Psychotherapist on staff who works with teens. We offer excellent benefits and generous paid leave.
Psychiatrist responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the job reports to.
- Conduct initial patient evaluations and take detailed medical histories
- Diagnose teens and children based on symptoms and prior medical treatment
- Treat psychiatric conditions in teens and young children using a conservative approach, which should include CBT
- Explain treatment plans to patients and their parents or guardians and provide familial support throughout treatment program
- Advocate for young patients, especially with regard to schools and other organizations
- Prescribe medication on a conservative basis to treat verifiable mental health diseases and conditions
Psychiatrist qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful hire. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- Unrestricted provincial licence to practice medicine required
- 6+ years’ experience in psychiatric practice
- 2+ years’ experience treating children and/or teens
- Willingness to learn and follow clinic’s standards of practice
- Demonstrable ability to connect with and provide support for children
- Current DEA permit required
- Familiarity with EMR/EHR systems
- Ability to pass background check and drug screening