Patient Care Technician duties and responsibilities
To ensure patients receive excellent care during treatment, the right candidate for this job is ready to perform duties and responsibilities including:
- Assist registered healthcare workers with administering various treatments
- Monitor and report changes in a patient’s conditions to a nurse or physician
- Provide physical assistance to patients when moving between different care departments
- Perform basic procedures like taking patient temperature, recording blood pressure, collecting specimens for testing, and administering medication
- Deliver meals to assigned patients and feed them as necessary
- Clean and sanitize treatment areas, beds, and medical equipment
- Maintain and repair patient care supplies and equipment
- Provide emotional support to the patient
Patient Care Technician skills and qualifications
A Patient Care Technician is expected to meet various requirements to qualify for the job. Some of the skills and qualifications you should look for when hiring a Patient Care Technician include:
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with multi-purpose healthcare teams
- Ability to evaluate the safety of treatment areas and patient care rooms
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills for verbal and non-verbal interactions with patients and other healthcare professionals
- Good listening skills to hear emergency alarms and patients calling out for help
- Ability to follow instructions, read notes and labels, and write incident reports
- Ability to think fast and make decisions concerning the order of tasks
- Capacity to operate, maintain, and repair various patient care equipment
- Spectacular leadership skills while still exhibiting empathy
Patient Care Technician experience requirements
The ideal candidate should have prior knowledge of patient care procedures and working experience with relevant patient care equipment. They should also have extensive knowledge of medical terminology so they can help a patient effectively. The best candidate to work as a Patient Care Technician would have a working knowledge of patient care and one to two years experience in a healthcare environment.
Patient Care Technician education and training requirements
A Patient Care Technician’s educational requirements usually vary based on their responsibilities and position. Though most candidates must complete a program approved within their province or territory of work, where they learn the basics of nursing assistance, and are further required to finish supervised clinical work.
An ideal candidate should also have completed various short specialized courses such as food handling, health care housekeeping, CPR, and first aid. They must also have a healthcare aide college certificate, basic cardiac life support (BCLS) certificate, and possess computer skills for documentation purposes.
Patient Care Technician salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary of a Patient Care Technician in Canada is $69,364 per year. The expected salary depends on several factors, including the level of education, experience, type of medical facility, and location.
Job description samples for similar positions
If you are looking for similar job description samples, consider the following: