Medical Biller job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so job seekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a Medical Biller job summary
Our large healthcare organization is seeking an experienced Medical Biller to work in our administrative office. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in medical billing, with the skills necessary to improve our current billing procedures and reduce A/R days. The successful applicant will work on a number of tasks requiring data analysis, in-depth evaluation and exercising judgement within the appropriate scope of practice. We offer excellent benefits, generous paid time off and competitive compensation.
Medical Biller responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the job reports to.
- Perform posting charges and completion of claims to payers in a timely fashion
- Convert dosages to billable units
- Submit billing data to insurance providers
- Work claims and claim denials to ensure maximum reimbursement for services provided
- Perform Medicare/Medi-Cal reviews and audits
- Implement, maintain and report on programs initiated by the practice
Medical Biller qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful hire. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- Associate degree required (Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field preferred)
- 2+ years’ experience as a Medical Biller
- Proficiency with electronic medical records (EMR)
- Strong knowledge of MS Access
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team environment
- Able to multi-task and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent problem-solving skills