Inside Sales Representative duties and responsibilities
An Inside Sales Representative has a number of sales-related duties and responsibilities, some of which may include:
- Responding to customer complaints and inquiries quickly and efficiently
- Answering phone calls and emails in a professional manner
- Building rapport with customers
- Collecting customer information for future follow-ups
- Upselling services and making product recommendations
- Closing sales and achieving company quotas
- Identifying sales opportunities
- Staying informed about product and service information updates
Inside Sales Representative skills and qualifications
A successful Inside Sales Representative candidate has high-level people skills and can expertly advise clients on which purchases to make. Top skills of an Inside Sales Representative include:
- Excellent customer service
- Clear communication and active listening
- Ability to process information well
- People oriented and experienced in rapport building
- Ability to sell and promote
- Working knowledge of various technology and software programs
- Strong product knowledge
- Excellent time management
Inside Sales Representative experience requirements
Inside Sales Representatives are experienced sales people who have a proven track record of selling products and services through incoming calls. Ideally, they know how to handle a high volume of customers at once and have at least two years of experience achieving a company’s sales goals.
Inside Sales Representatives typically have experience in customer service. They have a resume that demonstrates people-oriented roles where the primary tasks involve attending to customer needs and maintaining good customer relations.
Inside Sales Representative education and training requirements
Inside Sales Representatives typically require a high school diploma or a GED certificate. This level of education is enough for the candidate to acquire skills needed for the job. However, in some cases, positions may require additional education such as a Bachelor’s degree. Depending on the industry, some provinces require certain retailers or salespeople to be certified by a regulatory authority.
Some Inside Sales Representatives may pursue continuing education in the form of computer training modules provided by their employers or participating in company-mandated training programs such as WHMIS, customer service, and first aid.
Inside Sales Representative salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for an Inside Sales Representative is $46,845 per year in Canada. The salary amount may vary depending on location, previous experience in sales, and the company.
Job description samples for similar positions
If an Inside Sales Representative job title is not quite what you are looking for, here are some other suggestions: