Housekeeper duties and responsibilities
A Housekeeper has to maintain cleanliness and tidiness in their work area at all times. Their duties and responsibilities may vary depending on the type of workplace they’re employed in. In general, a Housekeeper’s duties and responsibilities include:
- Understand the policies of their employer with respect to work shifts, client possessions, and privacy
- Perform housekeeping duties including dusting, vacuuming, mopping, cleaning the windows, scouring bathrooms, changing sheets and towels, managing laundry, and keeping the place neat and tidy
- Clean, disinfect, and store all cleaning equipment at the end of their shift
- Fulfill all cleaning requirements of the employer
- Promptly respond to client needs
- Inform the homeowner or employer if any accidents or problems occur while performing cleaning services
Housekeeper skills and qualifications
The right candidate for the position of a Housekeeper generally should have previous experience working in a similar role. They should have the necessary skills to perform housekeeping related tasks efficiently. Requirements may differ depending on the type of workplace the Housekeeper is hired for. Here are a few examples of general Housekeeper skills and qualifications:
- Excellent knowledge of cleaning appliances, and cleaning and disinfecting agents
- Attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- Reliable mode of transportation
- Time management skill
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
Housekeeper experience requirements
Usually, an ideal candidate for the role of a Housekeeper in a residential setting should have at least two years experience in residential housekeeping. Those pursuing a career in the hospitality sector should have some hotel and motel cleaning or related experience. Similarly, those interested in nursing or retirement homes, or other medical or care facilities, should have some experience in those settings.
Housekeeper education and training requirements
A Housekeeper should have a high school diploma or equivalent. Some housekeepers who wish to pursue a career in the hospitality industry could benefit from an associate or bachelor’s degree in hotel or hospitality management or similar certification.
Housekeeper salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average salary for a Housekeeper is $15.72 per hour in Canada. Wages may be dependent on experience, location, industry and employer.
Job description samples for similar positions
If a Housekeeper is not quite what you’re looking for, here are a few other job description samples that may fit your needs: