Delivery Driver duties and responsibilities
A successful Delivery Driver will be responsible for more than just transporting goods back and forth. Here is a brief look at some of the most important daily duties of a Delivery Driver in any industry:
- Drive delivery vehicle
- Load and unload products to be delivered
- Inspect the delivery vehicle regularly
- Add fuel and maintain detailed records of fuel costs and mileage
- Deliver items by the required delivery date and time
- Assemble or install items upon delivery (i.e.; furniture, appliances, etc.)
- Collect payment or get signatures for proof of delivery
- Ensure all items being delivered remain intact during transport and delivery
Delivery Driver skills and qualifications
A successful Delivery Driver applicant in any industry should have some basic skills and qualifications. Here is a brief overview of some of the skills to look for in potential candidates:
- A valid driver’s license for the type of delivery vehicle needed
- Certification to handle dangerous goods, if applicable
- Secondary school diploma
- A clean driving record for the last 12 months
- A valid passport of deliveries must cross the border
- A clean criminal record
Delivery Driver experience requirements
No experience is required. A Delivery Driver job offers the opportunity to learn on-the-job. Driving experience is an asset.
Delivery Driver education and training requirements
There is no formal training or education required for a standard Delivery Driver job, besides completion of secondary school. If the Delivery Driver must handle dangerous goods, the applicant is required to have Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) certification, according to the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act.
Delivery Driver salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, the average hourly wage for a Delivery Driver is $21.21. Salaries range based on factors like location, experience, and the type of industry or nature of the goods being delivered.
Job description samples for similar positions
Is this position not exactly what you had in mind? Browse some of the similar job description postings below to find the one that suits your company’s needs best.