Construction Superintendent job summary
A great job description starts with a compelling summary of the position and its role within your company. Your summary should provide an overview of your company and expectations for the position. Outline the types of activities and responsibilities required for the job so job seekers can determine if they are qualified, or if the job is a good fit.
Example of a Construction Superintendent job summary
Our commercial construction company specializes in build-out construction for medical and veterinary offices as well as other commercial buildings. We make offices and clinics habitable and attractive so that our clients can succeed in their businesses, and we’re looking for a Construction Superintendent to oversee, manage and direct all aspects of a project from beginning to end. The ideal candidate will have excellent leadership qualities that allow him or her to take control of a project and produce results. He or she will spend half of their time in the field and the other half in the office.
Construction Superintendent responsibilities and duties
The responsibilities and duties section is the most important part of the job description. Here you should outline the functions this position will perform on a regular basis, how the job functions within the organization and who the job reports to.
- Meet with building owners and tenants to discuss build-out specifications and improvements
- Mediate between landlords and tenants to find workable solutions that appeal to both parties
- Create estimates for build-out projects, including labour, supplies, materials and other ancillary costs
- Drive cost-effective project management techniques and strategies in the field
- Hire and assign construction work to each project
- Maintain a daily job site log
- Coordinate all construction services and activities
- Maintain strict build-out construction schedule and make changes as necessary to ensure deadlines are met
- Educate landlords and tenants on aesthetic and practical choices for build-outs
Construction Superintendent qualifications and skills
Next, outline the required and preferred skills for your position. This may include education, previous job experience, certifications and technical skills. You may also include soft skills and personality traits that you envision for a successful hire. While it may be tempting to include a long list of skills and requirements, including too many could dissuade qualified candidates from applying. Keep your list of qualifications concise, but provide enough detail with relevant keywords and terms.
- 5+ years’ experience as a Project Superintendent in the construction industry
- 2+ years’ experience in build-out construction preferred
- Proficient in Windows operating systems and associated software
- Experience working on smartphones and tablets
- CAD experience a plus
- Ability to work with numerous contractors and sub-contractors in an efficient manner