What does an Assistant Controller do?
Assistant Controllers are responsible for establishing and maintaining internal controls and policies. A successful Assistant Controller will also ensure compliance with legislation and established accounting procedures while identifying best practices within the organization. An Assistant Controller will often supervise accounts receivable, accounts payable, and general accounting departments, providing support regarding any queries with the general ledger. Reporting to the Controller, an Assistant Controller may also work closely with senior management on complex issues.
Assistant Controller skills and qualifications
Some of the top skills required of an Assistant Controller include a strong understanding of finance and accounting, management and leadership skills, and a keen, analytical eye with excellent attention to detail. Essential skills for an Assistant Controller include:
- Solving complex accounting problems through the application of generally accepted accounting principles
- Critical thinking and, in turn, confident decision-making with the ability to implement internal policies and processes
- Strong numeracy skills, particularly concerning scheduling, budgeting, and accounting math
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (including great coaching, training, and presentation skills)
- In-depth knowledge of accounting software and systems
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Capable of interpreting and analyzing large volumes of financial data
- Manage numerous priorities at once and be able to multi-task effectively
Assistant Controller experience requirements
Assistant Controllers are expected to have a minimum of three to five years of experience within accounting or finance roles, and previous experience using accounting software (such as Sage, QuickBooks, etc.) is very beneficial.
Assistant Controller education and training requirements
A Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or business administration is usually required for Assistant Controller roles. Completion of a training program accredited by Chartered Professional Accountants is expected for most Assistant Controller roles – although exceptions may be made for those in the process of a CPA training program, if close to qualifying.
Assistant Controller salary expectations
According to Indeed Salaries, an Assistant Controller’s average salary in Canada is $72,949 per year. Please note, this may vary depending on experience, location, and region.
Job description samples for similar positions
If an Assistant Controller job description is not quite what you’re looking for, other job description samples include: