How to Hire a Accountant
Hire an Accountant
Does your growing business need an accountant? Beyond crunching numbers, an exceptional accountant can organize your company’s day-to-day financial matters, offer expert advice on practical business problems, and make sure you’re staying on the right financial track.
Here are some tips to help you find great accountant candidates and make the right hire for your business.
Find an accountant on Indeed
job seekers clicked on accounting jobs
resumes from job seekers with accounting experience on Indeed
accounting jobs received clicks
- Common salary in Canada: $53,157 CAD per year
- Typical salaries range from $20,000 – $115 000 CAD per year
- Find more information on Indeed Salary
*Indeed data (CA) – Jan 2020
Why hire an accountant?
Hiring an accountant can be beneficial at any stage of your company’s growth. The right hire can free up time for you to build your team, expand your customer base, and generate revenue – all with the peace of mind that an expert is managing your books.
Contributions of a great accountant:
- Handle taxes and ensure your business complies with government regulations
- Oversee your account, budget, cash flow, payroll processes, and other daily financial tasks
- Develop realistic financial projections to help you make better business decisions
- Serve as a dedicated resource for reporting on financial status
- Improve current systems and financial procedures to determine areas for growth
Skills to look for in a great accountant
Accountants handle a vital part of your business and your company’s most sensitive financial information. To find an accountant you can trust – and who will offer more for your business beyond just balancing the books – look for qualifications and work experience that reflect top accounting skills.
- CPA certification
- Familiarity with accounting software, such as QuickBooks
- Analytical and mathematical skills
- Attention to detail
- Business acumen
- Collaborative work style
Writing an accountant job description
A thoughtful description is important in finding qualified accountant candidates. An accountant job description should include a compelling summary of the role, a detailed list of duties and responsibilities, and the required and preferred skills for the position.
Keywords to include in your accountant job description:
- Accounts payable
- Financial analyst
Interviewing accountant candidates
Make the right accountant hiring decision by thoroughly vetting candidates and asking targeted interview questions that will reveal their knowledge, skills, and important personality traits.
Topics for accountant interview questions:
- Accounting platforms used and software they’re familiar with
- Maintaining accuracy in accounting
- How they’ve driven real business results
See our list of accountant interview questions for more examples.
Explore How to Hire by Title
- Aeronautical Engineer
- Assistant Teacher
- Biomedical Engineer
- Client Representative
- Clinical Psychologist
- Content Writer
- Dental Assistant
- Electronics Engineer
- Financial Advisor
- Graphic Designer
- Hair Stylist
- Ice Cream Maker
- Independent Contractor
- Insurance Broker
- Interior Designer
- Security Guard
- Truck Driver
- Web Developer
- WordPress Developer
*Indeed provides this information as a courtesy to users of this site. Please note that we are not your career or legal advisor, and none of the information provided herein guarantees a job offer.