When to use a job application form
Application forms are helpful for:
- Hiring entry-level talent
- Keeping track of candidates
- Hiring a lot of people over a short period of time
One advantage that job application forms have over resumes is that job applications can be based on templates. Because they’re standardized forms that candidates fill out themselves, it’s potentially much easier to compare job applications than resumes. Job application forms can give all of your job seekers the same opportunity.
Effective job applications
A job seeker can fill out a physical job application in person, or take it home and complete it on their own time. Job seekers can fill out online job application forms anywhere, at any time. Printable job applications in pdf format can be shared digitally, or printed and returned by the job seeker. Effective job application forms are clear and concise. You’ll want to include defined spaces for important information.
Recommended fields to include:
- candidate’s name
- contact information
- work experience
- Applicant’s signature and date
Keep in mind
Helpful tips for getting the most out of your job application forms
- Don’t discard applications from people you didn’t hire.
- In addition to keeping your unused applications on hand, make sure you keep track of the quality candidates you didn’t hire, even after you’ve filled your open positions. That way, the next time you are hiring, you’ll already have a talent pool to draw from that you’ve already vetted.
- If you’re using our site to find your next hire, make sure your candidates can complete every part of the job application process online. You can still have physical copies available for in-person applicants.
- If you’ve deployed your job application form correctly, you may receive more candidates than you might have anticipated. Indeed offers a great many tools to track, coordinate and assess all of your potential new hires.