Zurich North America

Zurich North America Employee Reviews

Very good company

A large company with a lot of moving parts daily. I found the training culture to be very lacking and strong management lacked in certain departments.

Stockholm syndrome culture

On its face it seems to be a great place to work because of relatively good benefits (pension, 401(K) match, good PTO), but the health insurance is abysmal with an extremely high deduction. Daily work life is watch your back, toxic management, and put on a happy face like a good Stockholm syndrome robot.

Pros

Generous PTO

Cons

They stock the kitchen with food and drinks because they want you to live there

I learned a lot. Trainers are very good, patient and kind. They're very supportive and helpful.

I loved this job. I learned so much and was good at my job. I was never late, didn't take days off, strong communication skills, strong typing, grammar, was trained in all lines of business. I was empathic, professional, very helpful, always kind even when customers were mean or abusive. No matter what good character you have and how well you help customers, if your production doesn't meet their incredible high standards which are near impossible (which is why turnover is so high) you will be fired like me.

Pros

Benefits, hours, no nights or weekends, nice people, work from home, good support

Cons

Low pay, very demanding, hard to meet standards, micro managed

Great work life balance

Wfh 3xs a week, early out fridays in the summer, good pto. Lacking growth if you're in underwriting and not in Schaumburg office. There has been some changes but change is very slow. If you're an assistant, unless you want to become an underwriter first it's hard to make a jump into other roles within underwriting.

Job was generally good, until it wasn’t

I have been employed with this company for 3 years now, and up until the past few months I have been happy working at Zurich. The work environment was fantastic and the job itself was nice. I was doing noncall claim intake. The support system was straight forward and I was able to get my questions answered quickly and efficiently. Even throughout the pandemic everything was fine. They quickly adapted and made it to where it was a permanently remote position, which is fantastic! These past few months have gone down hill, though. The new management that I am under has completely ruined the enjoyment of the job. They are not showing the support that they need in order to help an employee feel encouraged and motivated to be productive. I had gone to my current manager with some issues I was having within the job and reasons why and things I believed would help me to improve. When it came down to it my manager essentially said that corporate doesn’t care, and neither do I. Gone are the days where Zurich has management that actually cares about their employees. It will begin to show through how the customers are treated. Mistreated employees leads to mistreated customers. If they want to keep their customers happy, they need to make sure that their employees are happy and not severely burnt out.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

Bad management

Great place to work, everyone is friendly and willing to help you.

I loved working for Zurich, but there was a small reorganization that eliminated part of our team and moved them to another location that I unfortunately could not relocate to.Other than that issue the people are friendly, management is approachable and always willing to assist you. Environment is comfortable.

Management is good. Work load is stressful. Training could be a lot better. Things constantly change and it is hard to keep up with all the things that change.

Pros

Pay benefits perks

Cons

Stress load

Coworkers are great. That is about all the is good about Zurich

Coworkers are great. That is about all the is good about Zurich. Managers are horrible and they micro-manage. Cannot even go to the bathroom without telling manager via Teams IM that you will be going to the bathroom. If you work the 6 am early shift, your lunch is at 9:30 am. That is your LUNCH, not your break. No work-life balance. Extremely expensive health insurance. Horrible pay. $15/hour and no raises

Pros

Coworkers are awesome.

Cons

Managers have no idea what is going on. Lunch at 9:30 am. Low pay

Excellent work environment.

Transparency rules through their culture. I never had an issue that wasn't a need to be discussed. No micromanagement in my theater of work. It was a very positive and developmental experience.

Pros

Great team support, pay and benefits.

Cons

Really none I recall.

Good company benefits, ineffective direct management, difficult to get promoted in core roles

For years, the McKinsey method of placing highly educated individuals without practical experience in management roles (i.e. with a masters degree in business or otherwise who lacked actual insurance experience) has led to a frustrated workforce. Much emphasis on advancement is placed with one's manager as the main conduit for development and promotion. Imagine performing much of your daily function without the manager's understanding of these tasks. How can said manager possibly identify better performance or promote true individual performance. It's a catch-22 such that it is difficult to have meaningful develop plan discussions with someone whom they could be managing themselves. I have often witnessed a chosen few who happened to be favored by a senior executive at some point in their early career path continue to be chosen for a highly successful career path (but pushed along due to favortism rather than actual expertise). Now that the employable marketplace is shrinking, Zurich's XCO is switching to a hire-from-within rhethoric (again, words that have not yet been reflected in the company's actions - prior 3 year cost-cutting plans always centered on head count reduction). This IS a good company, benefits-wise, but advancement requires a lot of behind-scenes conversations if you are lucky enough to actually encounter such an invididual seeking your expertise within the company. HR is the MANAGER's advocate much more so than the employee (very unbalanced) and seemingly run interference against cross-unit advancement. Employees therefore leave the company to advance in -

Pros

Flexible work schedule, remote work, matching 401(k), Pto, pay level

Cons

Highly stressful / frustrating; lack of integrated work platforms (most are quite unreliable, often out of compliance requiring work-arounds), lower level managers are (often) not well versed in the job discipline in the area which they manage

Jobs at Zurich North America

See more jobs

Good place to start

Good place to start your career. Work largely depends on what team you get placed on and which accounts you handle. Overall, really enjoyed working here.

Pros

flexibility, management

Cons

insanely micromanaged

Offshore Delivery team

Enhancement, migration, WFH, if you want to learn in your career then go to zurich, they will micro manage your task to fulfill your career. Good project managers, have assigned minimal tasks during your assignments.

Great Workplace

Great benefits, flexible work environment and very supportive management. Would highly recommend others to work here. I've really liked how Zurich has allowed the 100% remote work environment during the pandemic.

Relatively simple job, maintaining metrics complicates things

The job itself was simple after training. The issue is maintaining production by speeding through calls and balancing quality check points by remembering scripts. Coaching and management conduct a lot of meetings with each other instead of with the team.

Pros

You’ll learn a lot about insurance

Cons

It’s sink or swim

As long you make sure your ACM feel like he ran the company

it was never a good job. it was why did you not do this or that, The ACM would not support you and will make you look bad for he would look good. ACM would find something wrong with everything you did

Pros

Work at home

Cons

Adjuster are treated like dirt

Great Place to Work

Get work life balance. Salary could be better. Summer hours. Excellent benefits. Overall great place to work. Would definitely recommend as an employer.

Investment in staff and workers

The level of training and commitment to employees was very impressive. There were many opportunities and people in general were motivated toward each other's success.

Pros

opportunities

Cons

politics ant higher levels

4 May 2021
Thank you for your review and your comments about our training, people, culture and development opportunities. Zurich has undergone some changes recently in order to continue executing on our strategy of being customer focused and driving innovation.

Great company with excellent benefits

Great company with excellent benefits. 100% company match up to 6%, vested immediately. 20 PTO days, an the option to buy 5. Employees are allowed to work a flexible schedule.

Good work environment with great management

Good company with good foundation and accurate market pay. Ability to work from home pre Covid is very beneficial ( full remote now). Clear vision from executive leadership.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Workload is large

4 May 2021
We appreciate your review and are happy to hear you enjoy our flexible work schedules, compensation package, and development opportunities. There continues to be a focus on workload and work/life balance at Zurich.

It was a very long time ago like 20years

Wasn't that perfect for me but it pays bills and enjoy helping co worker's learning new accounts all the time taught me time management received lots of great tools to use during the time I worked there great company gathering

Pros

Sometimes

12 April 2021
Thank you for your review, and we are happy to hear you felt we had strong technology and a good culture. Zurich is committed to providing learning and development opportunities so our employees can meet their full potential.

Unsupportive Management - Tense Environment

Management does not personally care nor encourage advancement. I was an aggressive learner and brought in new ideas which were readily accepted, but I had to fight for pay increases and recognition. Tense environment with team members in constant competition created by management.

Cons

Management not supportive, creates tense environment and low salary

12 April 2021
Zurich appreciates your review and is glad to hear your new ideas were embraced. As part of Zurich's continued commitment to our employees and candidates, we conduct an annual salary analysis to ensure our employees receive fair and equitable pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zurich North America. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement