Zurich Insurance

Zurich Insurance Employee Reviews for Senior Underwriter

Senior Underwriter29 reviews

Found 29 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,115 reviews

Could be a great company to work

Pros: - good benefits and salary - flex work arrangement - casual dress everyday in the office (dress for your day policy) - great people internally Cons: - constantly restructuring and changing of appetite - internal changes are often unclear and inconsistent - no communication between different segments / groups

It was an "ok" place to work

There were too many tools, strict authority, and processes to get the job done efficiently. The rating/service department attitudes left a lot to be desired.

– 12 April 2021
We appreciate your review. The insurance industry does have specific processes and procedures we have to adhere to. Zurich has added to our well-being programs to help support our employees.

Insights into Zurich Insurance

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Overall a good company with strong benef

Overall a good company to work for with strong benefits. But they focus heavily on younger employees, which is all well and good, but, I believe they don't have the same focus, or respect, for the the more tenured employee.

Overall great place to work

Zurich is a great company to work for. Insurance is a relationship business and that is proven time and time again at the company. Career advancement can be limited depending on job function, but overall there is room for growth. Management has a vested interest in developing those who express this career aspirations. Benefits are great, but in line with industry.

MSG struggles with poor management

Typical day - following up with management for the 10th time. Learned - Management is useless and lack experience. Management - "WORKED" the way to the top. Culture - Waiting to see who quit today. Hardest part of the job - Defending the Company and Management to clients and brokers. Most Enjoyable Part - Leaving - PTO was non existent as management requires 365 24/7 availability and no idea what we actually do when you are not present.

Flexible work from home

Work from home allowed and work/life balance. Some managers were known to micro manage- mine did not! Varies with which department and team you work on. Nice culture and coworkers. Cons-high ded health insurance

Poor leadership by individuals who lack experience and skill set

Hardest part of the job was responding to micromanagement, poor systems and constant turnover. Always understaffed due to employees resigning due to poor unit managers.

Pros

Large company

Good company

Great company for work and life balance. They offer work from home and many other benefits for family life. They also offer a variety of internships and training programs.

Good company

Great place to work. Encouraged education and development. Approved work/life balance. Well respected in the industry segment I was in. Service and commitment to clients was important.

Pros

Work Life Balance

Cons

Lack of Management

Employee and work

My position was a Commercial Lines Assistant Underwriter. I worked with a great group of people. Several were from my previous employer, so the vibe was great. I left due to travel. I seem to travel more than I expected for the position.

Pros

Great group of people and traing was wonderful

Cons

Travel requirements

good place to work

good place to work with excellent Global capabilities for placing coverage for Fortune 500 companies. Excellent benefits and an excellent for being able to put together a property program to protect the assets for large companies.

Pros

excellent net work

Great Company

I loved working for Zurich. I recently relocated or I'd still be working there. The flex work program allowed me to work from home two days per week. I had an excellent manager who always made me feel part of the team. I found my job as an Underwriting Assistant interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed learning something new every day. With the flex work program, I was able to leave my cubicle and go to the one of the many huddle rooms provided to do more concentrated work when I wanted to. The sit/stand desk and dual screen monitors provided helped were state of the art. Zurich was also concerned about employees health and there were challenges to do group walking during lunch hours. Room for advancement if that's what one wants to do.

Pros

Flex Work

Worked with a great team

My team was great, but management was not knowledgeable and were unable to assist us. The Moral of the office was low and case load was high. The team was great and we all worked hard to assist each other.

Pros

Summer Hours

Cons

Low Moral

Great place to work at

Great place to work and immediate managers were good. Great atmosphere and relationships with co-workers. Zurich took care of us and great benefits. I recommend.

Nice people

Nice people and good benefits. My location was downsizing, so opportunities locally were not there. But globally, there are opportunities at Zurich.

Pros

nice people, nice benefits

Cons

too much work for the amount of staff, inefficient IT systems

Great company but poor middle management. Too political

Great place to work and great job. Poor choose for middle managers / team leaders that block career path if you are perceived as a threat. Also lots of dead wood that are kept because “they know the systems”. Flatter structures are needed, too many chiefs that dont produce anything. UK offices having a good shake with exaig management, still need to get rid of all the dead wood and poor team leaders. Also can become too political and you have to watch ur back. Otherwise a great place to work

Pros

Brand, job, travel

Cons

Poor Team Leaders, too political

Assistan Underwriter

Specializes in processing and underwriting support of the most difficult business including multi-national/local, package, portfolio or specialty policies. Establishes contact by visiting agents with an underwriter. Works on assigned lines of business. Provides support to members of the underwriting department in the areas of underwriting operations. Its a good company, I get along with co-workers, we do volunteers, once a month our dept. goes out to lunch.

Zurich culture

Zurich was an interesting introduction into the corporate world. As a large corporation there was opportunity to move between departments and move up through the ranks. I also appreciated the firm foundation or not only knowledge, but learning how to learn within the industry. Unfortunately, as is the norm in this industry, in order to get the salary increases you may need, you do need to move companies.

Great company to work for

Worked for Zurich for over 25 years,started as a processing tech. and worked my way up to a UA 3. The hardest part was leaving the company. Clearing N.B., prepping renewals, issuing policies,endts., binding, invoicing, credentialing.

Pros

bonuses, employees

Cons

moving work out of the country

Great Company

Overall Zurich is a good company. They are rich in history and date back over 100 years. The culture is pretty good and in most cases they promote from within. Benefits are good compared to most companies and they have a good package regarding paid time off

Pros

Pto, relax atmosphere, casual dress code

Cons

Not a lot of positions for advancement, continued added responsibilities without paid increase

Good benefits

Each region (offices) and Departments have their own pros/cons. Overall good benefits especially if you've been there for long. Implemented flexible work schedule and casual dress.

Cons

Focus too much on metrics and constant change with management and IT systems

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zurich Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement