Zurich Insurance

Assistant Underwriter37 reviews

Found 37 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,118 reviews
companymanagementworkgoodteamexcellentfriendlyhour

Fantastic Team Members

Very busy with trusted local management. Team members are very creative and we preformed as a tight unit. Local Management trusted team members with work hours.

Great work life balance

Wfh 3xs a week, early out fridays in the summer, good pto. Lacking growth if you're in underwriting and not in Schaumburg office. There has been some changes but change is very slow. If you're an assistant, unless you want to become an underwriter first it's hard to make a jump into other roles within underwriting.

Insights into Zurich Insurance

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Can be extremely busy sometimes but that just makes the day go by faster. Zurich really is a great place to work And understands work/life balance. Benefits provided are great.

Pros

Work/life balance

Cons

High medical deductible

– 12 April 2021
Thank you for your comments about our culture and benefits offerings. We appreciate you taking the time to post a review.

Very nic place to work

Worked as a data entry clerk temp for almost 2 years.People were very nice Was invited to there holiday bowling parties even after I was no longer a temp. Even was interviewed a few years later. But didn't get position. Great place to work.

A Company that pays well, but doesnt keep well

The work itself was not the most difficult part of the working day-- the office politics and riding the tidal shifts of upper management was far more strenuous. A culture of appeasement and Sisyphean number-crunching has become the way that management exercises their will on those beneath them. The UA-UW "team" that is so integral to successful and exceptional service has been forgotten here--it has always been a numbers game at Zurich, no matter how they try to advertise their workplace values and exceptional employee engagement. Particularly at this office, it is nearly impossible to find truly passionate and collaborative teams-- there is simply a thin veneer of camaraderie, undercut by the self-interest of all parties. UW Support Management by and large seeks to eliminate problems rather than resolve them, which creates a culture of fear rather than trust. The lack of response to suggestions and workflow simplification in the lower levels still shocks me and shows how expendable the UA role has become to Zurich. At ZNA UWs will always, and without fail, have their contributions far out-prioritize a UA's work-- weather or not the UA has been instrumental in providing a solution to an account or generates the numbers expected of them. Zurich's systems and recent changes to SOP have only exacerbated this issue, and further isolated rating and support from UW to the point that automation of the former two seems like ZNA's next logical step. Be prepared to have to fight in both directions to secure the perception of competency among peers. Compensation was good -

Pros

Free Lunches, Compensation

Cons

Culture, Management, Sop

It’s a nice place to work

You are allowed to take courses online. You can multi task within departments. It’s a relaxed and rewarding company. Benefits were good. HR helpful. .

What I learned

When I worked at Zurich (it was actually Maryland Casualty in those days and Zurich bought them) I got the opportunity to work closer with my underwriters, and had the chance to lean how to be a team leader

I did not want to leave was laid off

I did like to work in the company and my team was good. Coworkers were willing to help, however, the work was outsourced and jobs were eliminated in US

Pros

Cons

Healthcare

Good solid company to work for.

Good and progressive company to work for. The management is very transparent with their staff and always looks to promote from within the company. The staff are very caring and friendly.

Co workers always there for you

This was a fast pace job and sometimes you worked more than 40 hours. Management tried to make the job a fun place to work with giving lunches and a small holiday party or activity.

Pros

management tried to have lunch every quarter. You also were given times you could work from home.

Cons

company moving jobs over seas

N/a

Good Company to work for. New locations across the US and abroad. I worked in the Atlanta office several years ago. Nice people. Salary is below standard

Underwriter assistant

It was a fair company that held employees to high levels of achievement. We had heavy loads of files to process which could become overwhelming. Sales teams have cut offs for sales so they can be pushy to get what they want

Pros

Promote within fun team outings

Cons

Strict deadlines heavy work loads

Fun to work in insurance I have done for so long. Customer Service to the people explaining what coverages they have.

Very busy with the insurance industry day by day. I learned a great deal about commercial insurance and the personal lines of insurance. I sometime was a trainer on items we were taught and would fly to corporate offices to learn the items. Hardest part of the job was to reward myself for the good job I was doing. Enjoyable part of the job was to stay busy and to improve on myself on the rewards of the job.

Pros

Meetings for job information. Which we were served lunch.

Cons

To short of breaks.

Management and training are a disaster

No investment in training. Expected that co workers will do the training. No consistency in management. Seem to use fire, aim, ready approach. Co workers are great people.

Pros

coworkers

Cons

management and training

Good starter job at best

The underwriting assistants are burdened with far too many menial tasks. The job is very checklist driven. No job growth opportunities for advancement.

Pros

Every day is a jeans day

Cons

stingy medical and dental benefits

Enjoy working til change in Management in 2012

Zurich was a great place to work up to 2012. The company took a another direction in management and policies. The change in my opinion was not in the best interest of the employees. Sorry to say....before 2012... I enjoyed working there.

Zurich

When employed with Zurich it felt like working with family we all helped each other when there was need I would recommend friends and anyone looking to apply with Zurich.

Pros

family atmosphere

Cons

the only con I can think of is when the department outsourced with short to know notice.

Great place to work with opportunities to grow

Fun energetic place to work a lot of opportunities for growth management was always open to new ideas and allowed the freedom to implement them. Everyone was utilized beyond the position they were hired for

Stressful

Training is not a priority at this company. If working here, be prepared to work with deal with your fair share of running around. Management can be hit or miss. All depends on the department. The people are nice, that is a plus. However, there are also many that are just terrible at their job- and somehow they move up by playing the right cards. At some point, the company will look to fix costly mistakes by eliminating roles. The company does invest a lot into technology and it's a terrible move when half the systems they have are flawed, or the company does not properly test them before implementing across the country. Not enough recognition. Most people stay 2-3 years before leaving.

Productive and fun place to work

Great place to work. Left only because the NY office is closing and relocating to Jersey City, NJ. Cannot afford the commute. Learned a lot and I an grateful for the experience

Continuous learning environment

A very robust and professional yet relaxed atmosphere. Usually busy from the time I got in to work until the end of my workday, usually worked late - for my desk management, not mandatory. A very friendly place to work overall, most everyone who works at Zurich is willing to accomplish goals no matter the department or group, as a team. Very much team oriented and always looking to improve. Managers always willing to listen to solutions or creative ways to accomplish work assignments and goals. The hardest part of the job was learning the different systems, it seems once a system is mastered, a new one is rolled out. Just typical business practice. The most enjoyable part was working with the people. I truly enjoyed working with my team. Enjoyed working at Zurich and would have continued had I not relocated(to a part of Virginia where there are no offices) for personal reasons.

Pros

company wide volunteering, great benefits, team spirit building

Cons

Gobal company employees can get lost in the mix at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zurich Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement