Zayo Group Employee Reviews

Had potential
Optimization Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 October 2018
My company was purchased by Zayo Group about two years ago, and was quickly transitioned into the Zayo structure which is vastly different from the way we did business. I worked hard to learn, and navigate Zayo processes with virtually no training. It was a sink or swim kind of atmosphere, and it became apparent rather quickly that the only things that mattered to upper management were saving money through optimizing the various purchased networks, and how their stock price looked. On the outside Zayo looks like a great place to work, but on they inside, it is very tough to get a lot of work accomplished due to lack of process, and red tape built into the processes they have.
Great place to work, wish I was still there!
Communications Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 January 2018
I loved working at Allstream, and made a 19 year career out of it. The work was intersting, the people were great and work life balance was perfect while I was raising my family.
Pros
Union
Cons
Union
Working at Zayo
Sales Enablement Field Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2017
Working at Zayo Canada (aka Allstream) was a challenging and incredible professional journey. Zayo has a diverse work culture and the people at Zayo are dedicated, hard-working and compassionate about what they do. I was blessed to have been given the opportunity to work with talented cross-functional teams within North America.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Acknowledgement of Marketing as a key game changer
Using cloud technology to allow development at any location.
Contracting consultant - Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2017
Accept working from any locations, with daily online status meeting.
Can see team can work well either at specific location or remotely.
With strong support from management team and very strong team work attitude. Challenged with complexity of the business itself. User accept results from agile methodology to keep business moving in grand scale, and at the same time, getting improvements without sacrificing continuous business changes.
Pros
Facilitate working from anywhere
Cons
Needs well advance arrangement to have meeting in person
Disgusted with the way we were terminated in order to sell the company
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2017
When I started with what is now known as Zayo Canada we were CNCP. The original company and it's many iterations were fantastic, offering great opportunities, great salary, great benefits and a busy but happy work environment. Having survived many restructurings where even those being let go of were treated well and with deep respect, I still cannot believe that in the chase to sell us they let go of 25% of the company and on working notice. For me, after 28 years of service is had to work for them for 16 months knowing I was terminated and was given 2 days per year severance pay. I had to beg for them to process my pension which is a very slow process and just does not work with 54 days severance.
It was a fantastic company to work for and I understand that Zayo is taking much better care of employees than the last iteration of Allstream did.
Pros
Great training, learning and salary
Cons
Poor management and leadership
Company has potential, but current employees and management are sinking it
NCC (IP/ETH) - Telecommunication Technician CT2B (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 August 2017
Union is a very bad choice in any company, in this one it's even worse, everyone is equal but no one works the same, or I should say no-one works at all. There is a small percentage of employees that take care of business, and keep the place afloat, everyone else works only on one platform because he does not know how to work on the other 60 of them, even though they have 15 plus years experience in the same position. Constant complaining about things not being done, and not doing anything about it does not help .. management does absolutely nothing to get the bad apples from spoiling the bunch. Those that work, try to do their best on a daily basis, believing that the company will eventually go from Surviving to Thriving, and it would be a great place to work .. but at this time, as of right now ... this is a depressing place to be in, a lot of negative energy as soon as you walk through the door, and no one seems to be worried that if the department sinks, they will all go down with it ... again, except for those that perform above expectations, which is a very small percent of employees.
Pros
If there is time, you can learn a lot of different technologies
Cons
Management is unable to handle a team, only 5% of the staff works, the rest is minding their own business
See Resume
Router and Firewall configuration specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2017
This company provides a harsh environment to for due to massive staff reductions that leave employees work very hard in comparison with other companies in same industry.
Work with knowledgeable co-workers
Senior Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my co-workers as there is a family-like atmosphere. I have learned different technologies over the years.
Pros
Benefit package/bonuses
management does as they please
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2017
prefer not to say anything as I have nothing good to say about this company

management does as they please and any issues raised fall onto deaf ears
Old Fashion company
Senior Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto13 December 2016
MTS Allstream had a lot good technology and competent people. But very slow motion and not marketing focused. After purchased by Zayo, they only focused on layer 1 and 2 networking. Most the people are gone and are thinking about going.
glad to leave
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2016
Numerous reorganizations in the last year made it a depressing place to work. Stressful work environment. However, great people and supportive managers
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 November 2016
Zayo is not a company with a future. The current leadership are just transitioning the work to the United States. The work is fine but very disorganised. Management is more interested in politics than running a successful business. The people are excellent and do the best they can in a bad situation. Hardest part of the job was constantly redoing work you had completed because the management changed their mind. The people were the most enjoyable part of Zayo. It's just a sad situation filled with Chaos
Cons
jobs leaving for the US
Friendly environment to work in. Very productive and challenging. Management very supportive.
US/Intl Quotes Specialist (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON15 September 2016
Busy day at work. Request for quotes would be in my inbox. Complete as efficiently as possible. Always learning new things from colleagues. The job at times was challenging and I would complete the task at hand to the best of my knowledge. Seek assistance when required. Upper Management was very supportive. My colleagues were very friendly and we worked and supported each other well. Always looking out for each other.

Enjoyable part of my job - Negotiating with vendors to obtain the best pricing on quotes and forwarding the lower costs to Sales for the opportunity to win the bid. Sales and Marketing would appreciate my efforts in securing lower costs in order to potentially win the business. Communicating with people and offering my knowledge and assistance where ever possible.

Hardest part of my job - when Sales would request something that was different and out of the ordinary. Then I would speak to Sales to clarify their request and seek assistance from Management or colleagues....in the end you learn something new that you can apply to future requests.
Pros
working from home; flexible hours
Cons
In general - when you get no Management support