YWCA Employee Reviews

Found 163 reviews matching the search See all 1,086 reviews
Women's building
Volunteer Resident Assistant - Mary Dover House (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2019
Answering crisis calls and completing the necessaruy paperwork for a low-income building in Calgary, Alberta. As the first point of contact it is important to remain calm and give resources where appropriate.
Fun, nonprofitable workplace
Finance and Payroll Clerk (Volunteer, Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 January 2019
I did my volunteer work at YWCA. I would track the working hours of the employees, and the vacationing and sick days of employees. I learned about the software QuickBooks. YWCA is a non-profitable organization.
Good and flexible work environment.
Domestic Violence Outreach Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2019
Interview went really well and was offered the job right away. I learned a lot about domestic violence and the effects on the entire family dynamics. The management was terrific and the workplace culture was very pleasant and friendly. The hardest part of the job was dealing with women who were too afraid to leave their partners for various reasons, including financial dependence and children. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the women succeeded in leaving their damaging situations and moving on with their lives.
Great place situated in the heart of the city easy accessible to TTC
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2019
Amazing team and a great place to work. The team is filled with great enthusiasm, happy vibes and learnt a lot about not for profit. Team meetings happen every week that gives a chance to share new ideas.
Good place to work.
LINC Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2019
I worked at YW for ten years. I recently got laid off due to budget cuts.

I worked part-time, which was mornings from Monday to Friday. I taught CLB 4, but have taught every level from CLB 1 to 6.
The workplace culture was supportive . The teacher helped each other with ideas and feedback. The supervisor always supported us.
Pros
Team worked well together
Cons
Lost my job.
Supervisors and management used intimidation and fear and the person hired as HR was no help to front line staff.
Relief Crisis Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2018
Relief workers had no set schedule, had to compete for shifts and could work at the YWCA Sheriff King or Mary Dover shelter locations. Management poor.
Pros
getting to know and help women and their children escape the cycle of Domestic Violence
Cons
poor salary and Managment
It's ighhht
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK30 December 2018
I loved those children there, they were all amazing kids. Miss my little buddies. Staff was great but not enough steady hours and favourtism was real there.
A job with a lot of responsibility
CLEANER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 February 2019
A typical day is cleaning gyms, change rooms, residents floors and the list goes on. It was a great place to work as the supervisors are friendly and easy to get along with.
Management is a mess
Educator (Former Employee) –  Toronto27 December 2018
When I was hired, upper management lost all my prepared paper work. I had to resubmit everything. No direction or training was given to me. I was thrown into a classroom with 14 unruly kids not knowing how to manage them.
Constant fear of governing bodies coming to audit and not having the training to meet ministry standards. Quit after two months.
Pros
Cons
Very disorganized
The YW does not care about its employees
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2018
Terrible management, unfilled positions, staff punished for bringing forward concerns, bullying, aggressive interviews, favouritism, ageism, and ignoring safety concerns brought forward, no recognition of staff who work hard, raises only for management's favourites.
Pros
Decent starting wage
Cons
No raises, bad management, unsafe work environment
good culture and great people to work with
HR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2019
It is a nice place to work with many new initiatives on the go. Lots of interesting programs. Staff really invested in helping the Calgary Community!
Pros
great people
Cons
Supervisor's role
Productive and a fun work place
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON16 October 2018
I loved working at YWCA because of the work environment. I got to meet some talented and welcoming people there. They are doing a great things for the newcomers. They teach English, Canadian style of cooking and all kind of activity to make them feel like home. I am really happy that I had the opportunity to work with these amazing people.
Productive and fun workplace.
Lead Placement Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC7 September 2018
ne of Metro Vancouver's largest and most diversified non-profit organizations. Our holistic, integrated programs and services help lift women and families out of poverty, provide the best start for children and create new opportunities for education, employment and leadership.
Productive and fun workplace
Junior Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Parry Sound, ON8 September 2018
Working with the YWCA was an amazing opportunity and I highly suggest working there, to everyone. Not only is everyone kind, funny, and hard-working, but they also created such a safe and inclusive space for us working there.
Pros
Room and board given to us for free
Cons
Young girls can be difficult sometimes
a learningl, caring & giving place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 August 2018
I enjoyed working with people who all came from different walks of life and many of which seemed to be in need of daily living needs. I love working with clothing and was fortunate to see the various styles of clothing and baby stuff too.
Pros
location
Cons
short time there
Great environment
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2018
The best place to work. Caring Managers. lovely environment. friendly colleagues. we all here to help people. good pension plan. good benefits. so calm and you can improve your skills
great place to work !
Key holder and assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 July 2018
great place to work everyone works to support each tea member you are never alone. very flexible with the hours, they advocate for their employees in so many ways.
Pros
fun
Cons
N/a
Mental Health and Housing Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 June 2018
I have been involved with YWCA for many years in different capacities and have learned so much about how various services and supports assist women. Great place to practice skills
Keeping Community Healthy
Cultural Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, BM1 June 2018
Keep you Healthy.Their swimming pool is very clean and always supervised.If you Don't know swimming Don't worry you can take swimming Lesson from Expert Swimmers.Gym Equipment are Unique and a Gym trainer is always there.If you can't afford the Monthly Fee you may ask for Discounts.If you are going away You can put a stop on your membership temporarily.Professional child care is available .Please check their monthly programmed as well.They also offers program for all ages in summer, winter, spring and fall. I Loved working for them and they are my Life Long friend!!
Pros
Healthy Place to Be
Cons
Can't go very often since I work full time and have a famliy to take care.
Fun place to volunteer with amazing people and lots of experience
GIRLS MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON18 May 2018
A typical day would be teaching a lesson, along with an activity and becoming great friends with other mentors and mentees. I learn many skills, such as leadership skills, engaging with a group of people, helping kids and other people. The atmosphere of this job is very relaxed and flexible.
Pros
Free dinner
Cons
School nights