YWCA Employee Reviews

Canada224 reviews
I was hired as a Curriculum Developer through the Summer Jobs program (aimed towards students or younger Canadian citizens) for a two-month term. This was a newer position, with a newly developed department, so I had a very small team of two co-workers. They were absolutely great and really treated this as a learning opportunity while also giving me lots of independence over my projects. My position was 100% remote due to COVID but during my time in the office, the staff were incredibly nice and I could tell it was a very collaborative environment. Overall it was a very useful learning experience and the staff were very supportive when I needed assistance or just to get an extra pair of eyes on my work. I would strongly recommend getting a position here!
Pros
Amazing work environment, friendly and helpful co-workers, very collaborative
Cons
Remote work due to COVID
Everyone was so awesome at YWCA. Management was awesome and helped so much.
I learned so much from YWCA .

I felt it was my second home when I was working.
I appreciate the job at my building downstairs so I don’t need to travel and just buy the materials that’s all and the children appreciate me and remember me.
I was a youth education facilitator and I volunteered once a week. The staff were super welcoming at the interview/training and throughout the weeks I was facilitating. It was a good experience to learn how to lead discussions and be a role model for grade 7s transitioning into highschool. A meaningful program I was happy to be apart of.
I only did my student placement here, cannot do a fair overall review due to the fact that I have never done a paid job here. I do not know the salary range and job security.
There is a disconnect between management and staff. This makes the work culture feel toxic. I think there is a lot of good work being done here with a lot of good people .
Very nice place to work at, I have used my educational skills and gained new skills working at the YWCA as it is a great place to work at.

Workplace culture is amazing.
YWCA was a nice place for I to complete my fieldwork. Everyone seems nice and welcoming. I really love what this organization represents and all the services they offer.
Good place to work with bad managment, coworkers are great, but there is no real leaders in the organization, management position are fulfill by inexperience people.
Pros
A lot of free time
Cons
Bad managment direction
I was scraping the bottom of the bucket for hours with YWCA, even after putting extensive work into a position that was wanted.

If it's full-time, the benefits and everything are great.
Pros
Quiet office space
Cons
Office Gossip, Shortage of hours
Worked for 6 months and was told that I was being released. I found the job overall great but very disappointed in the way I was let go was really looking forward to continuing the job. As I found out they continue to keep the people in place and only bring in people on a short term basis only to let you go before coverages begin. Which really hurt myself as I was looking forward to that as I have kids to take care of.
Pros
Great working experience
Cons
Don't keep you informed
Great opportunity to make a difference and see how your day to day interactions with the participants and clients makes a difference. If you are just looking for a paycheck, go somewhere else. If you want to make a difference in peoples lives, then this is the place for you
Very good staff. Treated well paid a good amount for the work that needs to be done. Management is great very understanding and treats staff well. I would recommend working for this company.
To work with teen mothers would require support and guidance. It seems only the manager of the home is able to provide that guidance and all other staff members guidance does not matter.
The YWCA is a very positive place to work opportunity to do many types of courses if you want to do them .Staff is very friendly and helpful room for advancement .
I loved being a summer camp counsellor for the YWCA. The staff are all great to work with and the management is fantastic during the summer. It is a stressful job considering you are with kids all day
Pros
Friendly Enviroment
Cons
Long days
Educators ensure the curriculum is interest-based and fun with a variety of development being practiced. Includes access to the swimming pool and indoor gym and playground for when the weather does not permit them to go outside. Would love to work here again.
I started in the check room. I was lucky enough to have a great boss who believed in me. I started too learn the locker office, ran a boutique for sportswear. became in charge of messages. The YWCA was the best job I had.
Pros
In summer you had a four day week
Cons
Sometimes having to work double shift.
I did this as a placement for College and I am really thankful for everything they taught me. I was studying to be a Social Service Worker and this really opened my eyes to what I could expect.
Was an amazing experience and learned so much about youth development positions and what they entail. Great place to start with for working with school age children:)
Managers and upper direction are corrupt. They do not care about staff safety or client care. Not trauma informed whatsoever. Toxic work environment, bullying and clients with high needs above reasonable capacity.