Yukon Hospital Corporation

Yukon Hospital Corporation Reviews: Working at Yukon Hospital Corporation

Canada12 reviews

3.6Pay & benefits

Top Heavy with outdated ideas

Top heavy management structure.Always looking to blame someone for poorly executed decisions.Lack of respect for workers in general.You are a number to management.Management wants you to work but makes you grovel for overtime pay. Management always looking to hold back monies owing.

Stay as far away as you can.

YHC is a terrible place to work. Save yourself the work of relocating because you’ll just have to pay it all back when you decide to escape. The turn over rate is extremely high and the powers at be refuse to question why or who could be causing this cycle. Senior management team is toxic and has created an environment driven by fear. Moral at YHC is terrible, nothing but negativity. Pay, pension and benefits aren’t terrible but don’t be fooled. Avoid this place at all costs.

Insights into Yukon Hospital Corporation

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Not recommended

I'd have to say I was extremely disappointed in YHC. The interview and recruitment process was very promising, but I quickly felt misled and lied to once I started. They seemed to want the opposite out of me than what ghe job interview suggested, and the work culture was very unnecessarily stressful. YHC is not genuinely open to new and more efficient ways of doing things, top heavy, and promotes a culture of blame and shame. Staff are so terrified of getting blamed or fired that it's hard to motivate them, upper managers feel threatened by new ideas, and very rigid and inflexible rules (often to the detriment of patients, and staff). Success seems to be based on being a "yes man", never questioning things, blaming others. Your performance is evaluated by anonymous surveys sent to your colleagues without your knowledge. One of the oddest places I have worked.

Pros

High tech facilities and equipment, reasonable compensation, adequate supplies, generally quick response time for HR, etc.

Cons

Lack of support for new ideas, judgemental management, needlessly stressful "freak out" culture.

Great experience, different than other jobs and faced paced.

I loved the job fast paced and time flew by. The hours were reasonable and and pay rate great. There was a couple people there that treated you with respect and genuinely good people who did their job and didn't gossip or talk rudely to you. But other staff I seen speak rudely to others especially when training or new staff .The manager however was great at her job and always looking to improve workplace and morale....actually the best manager I ever worked with....oh well worked out for the best as now I'm making way more and chaulk it up to another experience in life and worked out for the best.

Pros

Good pay, good hours

Difficult place to make true change

While the experience began promising, there is a great amount of negative culture underlying true action and transformation. The intention of leaders and agreements of board / sr team are difficult to enact based on work culture and interpreted entitlement. Yukon is no longer a ‘you’re lucky to have me’ culture, yet frontline teams believe that, crushing new hire ideas and innovation. Senior leaders are at battle with their teams, including at highest levels, resulting in more politicking than action toward client/patient/resident needs. Strategic plan is a pipe dream until relationships are healed within what is a hopeful overall opportunity for this team. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

Pros

Access, intial openness, resources.

Cons

Incongruity, fear from leadership, doubt in leadership.

Not a great place to work

Absolutely horrendous management who try to micromanage everything.Nice co workers but morale is very low. Strongly recommend finding a job anywhere else.

Different than the usual

This hospital is run differently than any I have ever worked at. The nurses live down to the low expectations and management doesn't protect them from bullying physicians.

Pros

free parking, good wages

Cons

low standard of care

Caution

My coworkers were outstanding - knowledgeable, educated. The manager, not so much. When you have to explain the most basic of concepts and the manager is too lazy to use google, that's a serious problem. I will say your level of happiness and job fulfillment will depend on what department you work in. Nothing is ever as advertised, so before choosing to work here, do some research and investigate who is hiring you - YES INVESTIGATE. You don't know what you are buying into when working here.

Pros

Standard work hours

Cons

Everything else - slow to change, lack of progress in technology, afraid of change

My first adult job ;)

A hard working staff with commitment to providing quality care under difficult logistical restrains and limitations. Friendly staff and positive work culture.

Nice environment due to positive staff snd team work attitudes.

Dietary aide is extremely busy and tasks are based on designated times. More tasks are added on a continuous basis without adding any time. Creates stress and this will only get worse once the new continuing care unit comes on .

Pros

Great team work

Cons

Workload, no time added when tasks are added

Changing environment.

Staff moral deteriorating over the past 6 years. No flexibility in work schedules. Trying to remove self scheduling from RN's and not open to job sharing.

Poorly managed and an unhappy environment

The job itself was great, not just a job but a career. Unfortunately, the work environment was toxic which included unhappy staff, sub-optimal leadership and gossip related to small-town syndrome. - frequently encountered staff who were unhappy with decisions made by management or leadership - many staff with negative attitudes - poor and inadequate management with little or no experience - a no change environment where being proactive is meaningless - a facility where I observed certain standards to be lower compared to other facilities - limited services

Pros

location / surrounding environment

Cons

toxic work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yukon Hospital Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement