Yukon Government

Yukon Government Employee Reviews

Working with the Yukon Government taught me a lot of things. How to work in a fast-paced, exciting environment as well as new skills from computer work to work in the field.
Working in the Mining Recorders office provides learning opportunity in the mining industry and advancement from entry level to management. As well as working in the field with industry leaders.
Yukon Government is a wonderful place to work, they offer unlimited potential, growth and an excellent work life balance. These reviews are not the best for a small town confidentiality are easily broken with the job description.
Yukon Government has offered me unlimited growth and potential, excellent work life balance and highly desired benefit package. The hardest part of the job is accepting the inherited bureaucracy that comes with public service.
Most days were unfulfilling. Management kept changing the job description. Although it was indicated by management that they were looking for collaboration and innovation, this is the opposite to what I experienced. Management was not transparent. The team was micromanaged. It is my opinion that they are looking for puppets to carry out a "secret agenda"
I have worked a variety of jobs with the Yukon government and continue to work for them in Whitehorse. I have had the opportunity to take many courses and work with a variety of people from all walks of life. The work is fast paced and exciting at times.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Sometimes long hours
Field work consisted of working in remote areas of Yukon Territory conducted data collection for Timber Harvest Management Plans. Data base management and data entry was also conducted on the collected data.
Pros
Long days in the field.
Cons
Remote locations
I am in the office at 8:00 AM, greet my peers then start my computer. I like to check for any voice mails or emails before I get started. Once these have been checked I deal with them accordingly then start my customized software programs. There is always papers that needs to be scanned, filed and sent to other departments. If the guys are in the field I enter their inspections then send out as required depending on the file. Numerous systems are checked for updates throughout the day. Office is kept clean and supplied with materials as needed. Clients are helped either in person or over the phone in a helpful and courteous manner. Most days during the operating season I am in the office by myself, decisions need to be made. Management is helpful but does not know the workload that is generated from this position, systems are old. There is not a lot of opportunity for advancement but overall, I love my job and the people I work with.
Hands down the best managerial job I've ever held, hoping to return to the Yukon and get a job again with the Yukon Government. Much support and respect from this position.
Great organization to work for. Very good benefits package. The Yukon is a great place to live and work. Highly recommend relocating to the Yukon to work for the government.
-running equipment, patching highway, cleaning shop, moving heavy items with loader or forklift, organizing shop yard, setting road signs up, ferry deckhand (ferry safety checks, directing traffic), fixing ferry landings (dirt) with a wheel loader -workplace safety, quick thinking, equipment general maintenance
A typical day would see me receive eight classes of gym. I learned that a teacher must be patient and attentive to the needs of the students. One must communicate regularly with other teachers. The hardest part of the job requires one to be everywhere all the time. Seeing the students gain confidence was one of the most enjoyable parts of the job.
I am an elementary school Principal. I lead by example. I take great pride in my work. I love working with children. I have a great sense of humor and managed to turn the school around in 1 year. With my support, my Grade 7 teacher received the Amgen Science Excellence Award. Only one person in Canada received this award. I am well-liked by the School Council, Parents, Teachers and children. We do well academically and in sport. I believe in educating the whole child. My parents, teachers and students will be devastated when I leave!
Pros
Work with people, (children and adults). We work hard and play hard
This was a STEP position. Great program.A little bit Bureaucratic. To be expected.
Pros
job
Cons
pay