Youth Empowerment & Support Services Employee Reviews

Love this place
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 October 2018
I had to leave because work and school were too much but I really miss it. Favorite job ever, I love my team and we were so supported by our supervisor, I grew so much here. I really hope to come back when I'm done school and grow in the organization.
More concern for the bottom line than the youth
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 October 2018
Lots of unwanted overtime paid as banked time. Always understaffed, not much concern for employees self care especially in such a difficult career. I wwould not recommend working here.
Pros
Great youth
Cons
Awful management
Good job
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2017
Awake nights
Trusted to work independently
Cool to be part of the youths story
Pays way better than my last youth work job (minimum wage is not cool for the work we do!!!)
Affordable staff meal program - food is so good
Minimal cleaning by youth workers because theres a daily cleaning crew
Documentation program took some getting used to (ETO)
Pros
food, team, youth
Cons
long nights, stressful sometimes
Engaging Environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 December 2017
This is an extremely fulfilling place of work.

I have a great team that is supportive of one another. We are encouraged to grow and develop our skills.

Staff are trained to tackle issues with youth with compassion, understanding their history of trauma. The focus is on helping the youth reach their goals and assessing what each youth requires to achieve that - supporting them in their journey rather than pushing them down a path we think is best for them.

Lots of opportunity for movement and new challenges. However, there is not too many higher positions so upper management opportunities are limited if that is your direction.

That said, the new Executive Director is bringing fresh perspectives and an essential business acumen to the agency - a fantastic choice.

Love it here!
Pros
Amazing and resilient youth, Great food, Supportive teams and supervisors
Cons
Pay is average for non-profits
Genuinely caring and thoughtful team
Residential Youth Worker/Houseparent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2017
They treat you like family. The support from management and coworkers is amazing. The go out of their way to offer training and skill building activities.
But that's because they hire people with little or unrelated experience and pay them accordingly. They don't give raises, just "cost of living" increases. So you can go and learn and work super hard, but you're never getting a raise or a promotion unless you have fancy education.
Pros
the cook lunch for staff during the week
Cons
The quality of service to the population served is not amazing
Good career starter
Community Engagement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 November 2017
YESS is a good place to work if you're just starting your career. There is little-to-no advancement, though, so if you're looking to take the next step in your career YESS isn't going to afford you that opportunity. Also, management is constantly in flux and changing, so you are never certain about job security and which direction the organization is heading.
A really meaningful organization
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2017
The best part of working front line at YESS is obviously the youth! Experience with high risk youth is definitely needed to thrive here. Despite the hard days, the relationships that you can build with the youth, and helping them as they make huge life changes, is really amazing.

YESS management seem to have been making some big changes over the last year or so. A lot of the issues that others have addressed in reviews on here have been cleaned up. Like theres some complaints over supervisors but my supervisor is really great and I always feel supported. Ive also been give a ton of training opportunities, so some of the reviews just dont seem to fit with my experience. This may be a less popular opinion, but I also really like that they arent afraid to fire people that are toxic to the work environment, sorry but when you're working with high risk youth its draining enough without drama or worrying that someone is going to provoke a youth instead of deescalate... you need a healthy team to avoid burnout.

Pay is average for the non-profit field.

Food is great.
productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 May 2017
typical work day is stocking the shelves and cleaning up the donation room. Enjoyable part was knowing that you are helping others less fortunate. The management is very good and the workers are there to help you.
Very Poorly Managed
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2017
Unqualified Supervisors- No experience or education in department that they are supervising.
Very unlikely to move up, even after years of service
Tight clique in Management- Staff are disposable/replaceable
Pros
Great Cause, great youth
Cons
Stressful, Unsupported enviroment
Great Cause; Very Poorly Managed
Revenue Development & Communications Department (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2016
Cons
- no job security; always talks of layoffs, and "restructuring"
- double standard from leaders and supervisors; rules only apply to some people
- mismanaged funds
- mistrust of management, many staff regularly question management's decisions
- no accountability; management often create new positions for their friends and family members.
- no teambuilding; managers put very little effort into making YESS a positive and happy work environment.
- poor communication between departments
- all staff are overworked, under appreciated
- high turnover, because people burn out
- low pay, no raises
- very little opportunity to advance or learn
- job training opportunities are not provided for admin/fundraising/HR/communications staff
- management doesn't value staff
- Revenue Department manager lives in Kamloops, BC so communication and getting support is tough

Pros
- some staff have the opportunity to work from home
- great coworkers
- daily staff lunch for $10/week
- access to agency vehicles for personal use when needed
- employer paid health benefits
- staff sale after Christmas where you can buy donated items, like toiletries, that the agency doesn't have room to store, for extremely cheap
Pros
Being part of making a difference, paid benefits
Cons
Low pay, employees are not valued

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Empowerment & Support Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Youth Empowerment & Support Services Reviews by Location