Your Neighbourhood Credit Union

Your Neighbourhood Credit Union Employee Reviews

Not much room for advancement for long term a good place to work full time for benefits, union and pay but part time isn't very good. Most of the staff is nice and team driven

Pros

A job that pays over minimal wage

Cons

Boring at times being teller

Friendly culture with coworkers genuinely interested in helping you

YNCU is a fabulous place to work! Right from the get go, the team welcomed me and brought me into the circle. Friendly, professional with sincere comradery. This is obvious at both the branches and corporate. Most of all, I have always felt that I had the freedom to speak up without retribution, that my ideas and suggestions were welcome and that it was easy to establish myself as a respected professional.

Pros

team lunches, flexible work-life balance, flexible work from home or office

Toxic from the top down

This place is toxic from the top down. The leadership is controlling and intimidates you to confirm to their ways. The direction is constantly changing so you never know what is expected of you. Leadership is living in the stone age and doesn't want anyone to challenge their ways. Egos everywhere. One mistake and you are done for. Take your expertise to a credit union that will appreciate you.

Pros

good benefits and pension

Cons

toxic leadership, no direction, all about sales

Stay away

You try to help by being entrepreneurial but they don't understand the concept. They are in the uncompetitive dark ages and don't want anyone to better their results. Better off at another credit union or financial institution.

Great company to prosper with

This company gave me opportunity to learn the financial industry and how to work with customers with patience and integrity. It was usually a fast-paced environment so with the support from my colleagues, it made my time there stress-free and comfortable.

YNCU is a great place to work. Excellent benefits, salary and vacation. Great experience, bonus structure and chance for promotion. Definitely a good Credit Union to work for.

Everyone's Abandoning the Sinking Ship

Senior Management is an absolute joke, They seem to pick up the management book du jour from the top seller list, and attempt to pass off the wisdom as their own. Prime example would be the costly Re-Branding for a Brand that has zero clout in the market. Several middle management leaders have left the organization in the last 2-3 months and this is clearly due to the lack of competency from higher up. Don't expect a promotion, the organization fails to invest in training and development, and would rather hire externally for Senior Positions. A strategy that has resulted in several exits from the organization for staff that fail to deliver. I could go on....

Customer Service and Productivity

Working with members with their day-to-day banking needs. I learned to build relationships with our members and the products we offer. My co-workers and managers were very helpful and courteous. The hardest part of my job was not being able to put in more hours than a 9 to 5. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping members and providing great service.

Not up to speed with current trends.

This place is not a fun place to work at.Lots of favouritism and not enough management who know what to do especially on the front line. Training is weak and short. The only that's decent is the pay. Not enough reason to stay.

Think twice

The leadership team of this company is very poor and operates from a position of control, centralization of decision making and self-interest. This company fails to embrace the values normally associated with success in the 21st century: customer service, a focus on excellence, empowerment of employees and rapid decision making. The compensation levels are above industry average and the job demands are below industry average. This company attracts and retains mediocrity and rewards obedience. I do not recommend this company to honest, ambitious individuals looking to build a career.

Pros

low expectations

Cons

lack of advancement, empowerment or any decision making

Stable work environment

Lots of opportunities to work with the public and develop mutually beneficial relationships between customers and co worker. Much opportunity for full time work and skill development.

Growing and Developing Credit Union

Growing credit union with changing and evolving values. Must be able to be aggressive in sales. Able to multi-task by running branch, service member appointments, provide support to front line staff, make cold calls, underwrite loans and meet with members who walk in.

Pros

Willing to look at people who have blemishes on credit history

Cons

Not enough capital to assume risk

Professional and positive work culture

The management and my co-workers form a positive work culture - backstabbing and negativity do not exist. The company doesn't just talk about work-life balance, they live it. The company runs employee contests throughout the year. They provide professional training in your area if you require it. There is also an opportunity to earn a bonus every year. I'm glad that I work here.

Pros

yearly bonus, excellent work-life balance, ethical management, excellent CEO

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind

A freindly environment

Great place to work and learn and grow with members. All aspects of a bank but community owned.

The nicest group of people that I have ever worked with

Setup Oracle environment for new banking platform I learned that you when a company treats employees with trust and respect, the employee is more productive, more willing to take initiatives and work hard to earn that trust. Coworkers are the nicest group of people to work with. Just like any other work place, the people define the environment. The hardest part of the job is to ensure that I exceed expectation but it is also the easy part because I wanted to do it. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people that surrounded me, who give me the space to think freely to find the best solution for the task at hand

Great coworkers

The Front line staff are wonderful and very supportive. I love working with the members and helping them with their day to day transactions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Your Neighbourhood Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement