Your Independent Grocer Management reviews

Family Atmsophere
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Prescott, ON1 March 2019
A great place to work as a student, the management team cares about the employees and wants to see them succeed both in and out of the workplace. Very flexible with sports and school scedules.
Great staff
Customer Service and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hanmer, ON3 January 2019
This store is great to work for , staff is very friendly and family like. management is flexible with hours and considers when time off is needed. just need a new change (:
Honestly a fun place to work
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 December 2018
The Staff is amazing here, with exceptions here and there, mostly I worked with cutting and packaging meat, sometimes cleaning and putting the meat out onto the sales floor. Customers are generally nice and the management is understanding and adapts to your needs regarding your schedule. The hardest part of the job is potentially getting up for a 7 am shift but that's pretty much the same everywhere, overall a nice experience and a good place to work.
Pros
Nice staff, holiday parties
Cons
Not too many hours
Great Job if you are in school
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 November 2018
Very fair and flexible management. Work goes by fast. Managers are very understanding of school and will provide what they can. Big range of hours to accommodate all schedules.
Pros
Close to skytrain
Cons
Some customers are rude
Grocery store job
Attendant/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 September 2018
The location I worked at has now gone corporate so you might actually get some benefits and hopefully they fired the payroll staff who could never get your paycheck right or on time (that being the only major grievance)
Horrible Experience
Salad Bar, Deli & Beauty Associate (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB1 February 2018
A typical day at work depending on which department I was working in would either have me on the run the entire time I was there, or be way more relaxing and go at your own pace. Beauty was more laid back whereas Deli and Salad bar were go go go. I learned to keep my head down where management was concerned because if you caught their attention at all it was usually for something negative, like you weren't moving fast enough, no matter how much you increased your efficiency. Their expectations were exceedingly high for a low income, low reward environment. The hardest part of the job was keeping calm and pressing your lips together when talked down to or yelled at by management when you'd done nothing to warrant such treatment. The most enjoyable part of the job was switching departments to Beauty where I could work alone and get my job done with minimum intrusion. I hope that with the change in store owners that the environment has changed significantly because as it stands it was my worst job experience and I would never go back or recommend working there.
Pros
Working solo most of the time
Good first job
Baker (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC31 March 2017
Good first job not long term.
Management is not professional at times
benefits there is none but some for higher ups but you pay to much
labour is hard in some areas and dangerous
good and friendly workers
management was horrible
Deli/HMR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prescott, ON21 February 2017
The management made working there not pleasant. The work place was full of gossip and everything spread to everyone very fast. I would not suggest working here at all.
Good work, terrible environment.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 February 2017
The job in itself is very easy and repetitive, which is perfectly fine. However, management has a tendency to treat you like a machine.
After a crippling work injury I took a single day off, but my return was unwelcome and I was ridiculed as a bad example (by management), up until they bullied me into quitting.

Also reluctant to give you their mandatory pay increase
Pros
Easy work, friendly co-workers
Cons
No benefits, unfair management, low hours
Extrafoods/ yig
General Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC7 November 2016
It was like highschool all over again. Dirty work environment. In the first few months everyone in my department quit so I got ONLY full time hours until we hired more staff to help me out which I had to beg for. Then when I got another staff moved to my department they cut my hours from 38-40 to 12-20 hors a week. The woman that stole my position suggested I work at a bar...I decided to go to school instead. I quit because of how unprofessional it was and how they hire you and don't give you enough hours to live.
Pros
Sometimes free food
Cons
Dirty, unprofessional
Storefront Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON1 April 2016
Was a great place and company to work for. Fast paced . Co workers were great,. very well organised . Management was great to work with
Very good atmosphere
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON13 January 2016
I enjoyed working in retail as i enjoy being with people,at a point now where no longr wnat management therefore looking for a different career,i enjoy a challenge as well as merchandising .
benefits
Cons
long travelling
Enjoyed the people, especially the customers!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC2 December 2015
A typical day at work was very similar in some ways as for duties, but you really never knew what to expect though regarding customers.So many different personalities, so many different head spaces..some very rushed and impatient, others passive and understanding no matter what. Most things we could not help and had nothing to do with us but it is our job to fix it or call someone who could..speedily and with a smile.
My management was very understanding if you talked to her and let her know your status. Yet she was a very good teacher and on the ball. Some of the management in training where just that and sometimes we just had to bite our tongue..
The hardest part of the job for me was standing in one spot pretty much even though I only had 4 or 5 hour shifts.. and when we were slow..The most enjoyable part of the job was making the customers day a little happier if possible.
Pros
Nice staff to work with! I was able to get important dates off most of the time.
Cons
Five days at 4 hr rather than 3*8 hr days, Minimum wage with no raises for 3 yrs in the union contract for newbys
Fun workplace to gain experience in the workforce as well as meet new people
Grocer (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC12 October 2015
Fun place with kind and helpful management. Learned to use a manual and electric pallet jack, deal with all types of customers and properly stock/face shelves. My co-workers are all supportive and friendly. The hardest part of my job is dealing with all types of people on the floor. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping customers to be satisfied with my assistance.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enough hours
Fun place to work with good people!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Devon, alberta9 April 2015
The store is a great place to work. Everyone is friendly, jobs are well done, and is an overall good place to be. You see many people daily, so it is a constantly changing environment, great for those that enjoy working with people. Management is great, and are good to work with.
Poor place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver20 January 2015
poor management

was injured on job, WCB was never notified even when I went to the hospital

WCB tried to contact them for over a month with no response

enjoyed fellow co-workers