Your Independent Grocer
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

Working at Your Independent Grocer: Latest Your Independent Grocer Reviews

Canada373 reviews

independentgrocerystorecashiercustomerminimumshelfhour

Difficult management and poor work environment.

I was very unhappy working at YIG. Management was difficult and did a lot of micromanaging. Management did not want any cashiers or other staff talking to one another while on the floor and rarely believed employees when they were actually sick.

Pros

Non management staff often got along well together, and friendships were easy to build and sustain

Cons

No flexibility for what shifts you had to work. Management was toxic.

good first job

great first job or second job, not much room for advancement. store its self is great but being a loblaws run franchise pay and hours are bad no fault to management they have to follow specifics set by corporate

Insights into Your Independent Grocer

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Individual

Because stores are individually owned it’s hard to speak to the company when the store you worked at was an awful experience. I was treated poorly and when I quit it was the happiest day ever

Pros

Hot food

Cons

Decent work environment, though nothing exceptional

PROS:-Dental/vision/prescription benefits if your store is unionized -Stat pay for statutory holidays -Booking off time is usually easy for part-time employees-Workload during non-holiday periods is fairly manageableCONS-Inconsistent management (some managers are very helpful/supportive, others are extremely rude/incompetent)-Limited vacation time for full-time employees-Workload can be overwhelming if several shipments show up in a short period of time-Boring (stocking shelves can feel quite monotonous on some days)

Ok

Great place to work if you like minimum wage. I enjoyed working with the customers and colleagues. Management/ownership changed a couple years ago. people who worked 5+ years are now leaving. Myself included

Horrible work place

Work environment was messy, cluttered, and under maintained would not recommend for anyone, staff did not communicate at all over time became a problem.

Pros

5 hour shift

Cons

Under paid

It isn’t the greatest place to work.

I have been working at Your Independent Grocer for over 3 years now and they initially give you a job suiting your pay. As time progressed they expect me to do and know everything in my department and if I were to forget one thing they would yell at me. I had started as a part-time student with around 20-26 hours a week but then they increased my hours to 40 a week while I was in school without even consulting me. They also expected me to learn everything in the department even the full timers jobs and pay be lower than minimum wage. I had only wanted the job to be a meat clerk and clean but now they expect me to do the jobs of a full timer, I’m only getting around 14/h while they are getting minimum triple my pay.

Fun job

worked there for 2 years never had any problems. coworkers and managers are super nice. Great place to work loved it! I would recommend this place to anyone!

Quiet and busy makes the time go by quickly.

I’d recommend working at this grocery. As an overnight stocking shelves person, once you learn where everything goes you can work under your own supervision. You can play your music in your ear buds if you like. The night time goes by quickly. You need to be able to lift boxes off pallets onto carts then to the appropriate aisles for shelving.

The store I worked at shut down for a reason, your milage may vary.

The environment I entered into was very suboptimal. As a service clerk, my duties were often easy, quick to get through, but they provided little direction for what to do after.

Pros

Co workers

Cons

Wierd hours

Inclusive family environment

I have cerebral palsy for 15 years i applied for job after job , only being hired by friends and family . In October of 2020 i decided to apply at Hansen's. Not only did they hire me on the spot , they were excited to do so and learn more to expand their abilities . Not only am i treated as a valued member of the team . I am told as such . Working at Hansen's , though it can be a stressful job the people you work with and for are amazing so glad i got this opportunity. The 15 years of difficulty has led me to a place i love

Pros

Family environment, employee events

Cons

Varying hours

Not a friendly work place poor management and poor communication never listen staff

Not good place to work there poor management the management never about their staff they never communicate with their employees staffs scared to lose their jobs

Fun place to work with good people but low pay; you may get fired before you're done probation

Got fired at the end of a shift, a week before being off probation. The only complaint was incorrect weights but it happened a couple times and I was assured it wasn't a big deal. Fired with absolutely no indication that there was any issue.They paged me to and fired me at customer service, and followed me to the break room and then out the front door, despite a coworker being fired in the break room weeks prior.

Often Stressful and Understaffed

Particularly front end is often understaffed due to unreliable workers who call in sick weekly, resulting in increased workload for those who do arrive. This creates stress, poor work-quality, and a poor mindset. Most staff who DOES show up is actually quite nice, but it doesn't make up for the stress. Work here at your own risk, I suppose. Schedule-wise, its fantastic. I get the hours I need to be able to attend school and make money.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Stressful and understaffed

A fun environment

It was a valuable opportunity to provide the local customers with the best produce options that we could order. The owners have their heads up their bleep, they always want managers to cut hourly employees hours when sales go down, but then expect you to out perform yourself to increase sales.

Good first job, work atmosphere not the best

It was good for a first job and had great coworkers. However ownership became difficult to work under at times. The work itself was relatively easy and enjoyable

Culture, people and work are all awesome

I love working here so far. Especially the co-workers, I made some nice friends. Also, it isn’t so busy and workers are allowed to relax until customers come. Manager is super friendly. There is a little bit of favouritism but meh. I love working here.

Pros

Good breaks, nice workers, flexibility

Cons

Hours can feel long, shifts can be unstable.

Great management and co-workers

Worked as a cashier. It is a minimum wage job in a smaller local store and I took the position just to supplement my income. This is not a job where you will make a living wage. Most co-workers were either still young and living at home or they had spouses that brought a decent income into the household already. The staff was all very friendly and management practiced as much flexibility in their scheduling as possible.

Pros

Free snacks often in the break room, Staff is friendly, Management tries to accommodate with scheduling

Cons

Pays minimum wage - is not sufficient as a sole income/independent living wage

Chaotic

Extremely underpaid for the amount of work expected. Stairs stairs stairs to put coat away, to get coat, to use bathroom facilities. Heavy lifting.Customers Bathrooms are deplorable. Not enough space for staff in break area and locker area.

Pros

Christmas live bands play at checkout

Cons

Stairs stairs stairs just to have a bathroom break!!!

Good work environment

Work is straightforward and there are hours to be grabbed if you show initiative. Unfortunately turnover can be high due to low pay but great job for students.

An interesting place to work at

I worked at independent for a month and a bit while I was working another job. I was offered more hours at my other job so I quit. Management can be a bit harsh. There was not enough hours but I did love my coworkers that I met and talked with.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Your Independent Grocer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement