Your Independent Grocer Employee Reviews

great environment
everyone is hands on
great location
hardest part is waking up for a 5am shift, but it feels great leaving at 2pm
Pros
welcoming staff
Cons
older building so A/C isn't to powerful in the summer time
Family Atmsophere
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Prescott, ON1 March 2019
A great place to work as a student, the management team cares about the employees and wants to see them succeed both in and out of the workplace. Very flexible with sports and school scedules.
Great staff
Customer Service and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hanmer, ON3 January 2019
This store is great to work for , staff is very friendly and family like. management is flexible with hours and considers when time off is needed. just need a new change (:
Honestly a fun place to work
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 December 2018
The Staff is amazing here, with exceptions here and there, mostly I worked with cutting and packaging meat, sometimes cleaning and putting the meat out onto the sales floor. Customers are generally nice and the management is understanding and adapts to your needs regarding your schedule. The hardest part of the job is potentially getting up for a 7 am shift but that's pretty much the same everywhere, overall a nice experience and a good place to work.
Pros
Nice staff, holiday parties
Cons
Not too many hours
Awesome place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Marys, ON11 December 2018
When starting out at the Independent at just 14 I was an ordinary cashier. In my 3 years there I was the youngest to become a customer service associate in the amount of time I was there and the youngest to advance to supervisor as well. I worked there for a total of 3 years and still know the job inside and out as it was one of my first enjoyable jobs as well as the first to provide me with daily customer service practices . I loved the job and the only reason I resigned from my position was I found a better opportunity in my small town to serve and make tips with longer work hours.
Pros
Many life long friends
Cons
Repetitive
Would recommend working at Your Independant Grocer to anyone
Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Prescott, ON10 December 2018
I would recommend working at this store to anyone. Unfortunately, I had to leave my job there to work a job with more hours. Overall, it was a very fun work place and an enjoyable job.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Early hours as a single mother
Great Job if you are in school
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 November 2018
Very fair and flexible management. Work goes by fast. Managers are very understanding of school and will provide what they can. Big range of hours to accommodate all schedules.
Pros
Close to skytrain
Cons
Some customers are rude
Grocery store job
Attendant/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 September 2018
The location I worked at has now gone corporate so you might actually get some benefits and hopefully they fired the payroll staff who could never get your paycheck right or on time (that being the only major grievance)
A good first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Westlock, AB17 September 2018
This job was enjoyable and I got along well with everyone that worked there. The hours were the only thing I didn't like as much, as I was often working evenings and weekends.
Pros
Great team, loved everyone I worked with
Cons
inconvenient hours
Great first Job
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON13 September 2018
This place is a great first job for teenagers. Easy place to work. Great staff. Even though I wasn't there long it was still a fantastic place to work and will definitely go back.
Great First Job
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Westlock, AB23 July 2018
Working at Your Independent Grocer was a great first job for me. I learned how important it is to be committed to your job and how to work hard every shift that I had.
Pros
Two 15 minute breaks and one 1 hour long break
Cons
Too many hours worked
High pressure environment
BAKER/BAKERY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Westlock, AB15 July 2018
Very difficult place to work with the rise of minimum wage - hours being cut to fit the rise of minimum wage into the store budget, and lots of pressure on individuals to do the work of more people.
Pros
Quick Employment
Cons
No benefits, Not paid for overtime, No full-time hours except for Managers and Supervisors, hours continuously being cut to fit minimum wage raise into budget
Great part or workplace for when your inbetween jobs
Associate (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT24 June 2018
First the potives, good coworkers and most mangers are friendly enough, flexible hours good job for students. cons the owner is absent from the store most of the time allowing for mangment to slack and give you all the work, departments are either kept over or under staffed low chance of advance ment and no ensetive to work hard aftter probation as you do not recieve raises for work but rathe te time you have worked their with pre determend amounts.
Pros
learn how shi@#y life can realy be
Cons
low pay, expectations
Fun workplace but not for too long
PART-TIME CUSTOMER SERVICE / CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 June 2018
It's a great job for people like high school students who are not paying for rent or have important bills to pay. They provide flexible hours and I work with great people. However, I've worked there for three years now and I haven't seen an increase in wages and you do not get benefits until 3 years of working there.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
wages does not increase
A place to stock shelves and meet new people
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON22 April 2018
A typical day consists of unloading order and filling up the shelves while assisting customers. This can be a fun place to work if you get along with your coworkers.
Pros
AC in the summer
Cons
Inconsistent scheduling
Not enough hours
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BC17 April 2018
The work I did was fun and enjoyable but the working hours were unpredictable. I didn't appreciate the way my department manager treated and ended up quitting because he wouldn't give me a minimum set of hours each week.
Pros
Like the customers and my co-workers
Cons
Dept. Manager created a hostile work atmosphere. Low pay.
Monotonous
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 April 2018
Minimal training, boring work. Fine if you're looking for a job to pay the bills, but don't expect any mental stimulation. Hardest thing you will face is memorizing where products are.
Okay as a part time job
Produce member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 March 2018
Working at independent grocer really taught me acouple things. Learning how to put out fresh produce and recycling old produce and if they are going bad to toss them out. The hardest part of the job would be the lack of communication and working by yourself most of the time. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be that it is relatively close to where I live which makes walking to work would not take too long. overall it was a decent place to work for the first time
Basic job best suited for students but available to all.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carleton Place, ON2 February 2018
Very very basic work, simple and repetitive but kind of nice once you get in the groove of it. Do not expect much more than a dime over minimum wage but really it's minimum wage work so what can you do?
Pros
Simple, relaxing
Cons
Low pay
Horrible Experience
Salad Bar, Deli & Beauty Associate (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB1 February 2018
A typical day at work depending on which department I was working in would either have me on the run the entire time I was there, or be way more relaxing and go at your own pace. Beauty was more laid back whereas Deli and Salad bar were go go go. I learned to keep my head down where management was concerned because if you caught their attention at all it was usually for something negative, like you weren't moving fast enough, no matter how much you increased your efficiency. Their expectations were exceedingly high for a low income, low reward environment. The hardest part of the job was keeping calm and pressing your lips together when talked down to or yelled at by management when you'd done nothing to warrant such treatment. The most enjoyable part of the job was switching departments to Beauty where I could work alone and get my job done with minimum intrusion. I hope that with the change in store owners that the environment has changed significantly because as it stands it was my worst job experience and I would never go back or recommend working there.
Pros
Working solo most of the time
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Your Independent Grocer. Our community is ready to answer.