Your Independent Grocer Employee Reviews

A great place for first time jobs
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sechelt, BC10 July 2017
It was awesome to get to work with amazing people and gain more knowledge of customer service , however after years of doing the same thing over and over again I've finally decided to find something new
Pros
Great people, flexible work hours
Cons
Low salaries not benefits or discounts
Welcoming work environment.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 June 2017
Working for Y.I.G was an amazing experience and allowed me to learn many new things and meet new people. Everyone working their is very kind and welcoming. I gained communication skills having to help customers.
Great team friendly owners.
CUSTOMER SERVICE COUNTER ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Rockland, ON24 April 2017
Very good place to work. Made a lot of friends, had a good time working there. They gave really good hours during the summer and were very flexible when taking time off.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
only part time
Very good atmosphere for the sincere employers
Clerk specialist (Current Employee) –  Edson, AB23 April 2017
I would suggest people to join YIG as it supports and encourages the employers to learn new things. I always enjoyed learning new things here and if you are sincere enough to work then you really love the work atmosphere here.
Pros
One hour break for lunch
Good first job
Baker (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC31 March 2017
Good first job not long term.
Management is not professional at times
benefits there is none but some for higher ups but you pay to much
labour is hard in some areas and dangerous
good and friendly workers
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON12 March 2017
Pros
Very nice owners
Cons
A lot of standing as a cashier
management was horrible
Deli/HMR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prescott, ON21 February 2017
The management made working there not pleasant. The work place was full of gossip and everything spread to everyone very fast. I would not suggest working here at all.
Good work, terrible environment.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 February 2017
The job in itself is very easy and repetitive, which is perfectly fine. However, management has a tendency to treat you like a machine.
After a crippling work injury I took a single day off, but my return was unwelcome and I was ridiculed as a bad example (by management), up until they bullied me into quitting.

Also reluctant to give you their mandatory pay increase
Pros
Easy work, friendly co-workers
Cons
No benefits, unfair management, low hours
Used to be great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON14 February 2017
when i worked there it was pretty good. the manager was willing to do anything within her power to help you out. a few years ago she began to retreat however, spending more time in her office and less time with employees. at the end i left because they required a doctors note every day i was out after severely injuring my ankle. this was not indicative of my total experience. after revisiting later on i noticed many employees seem more stressed and less happy to be there.
Fun place to work
Assistant Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2017
Super cheep franchise only follow the CBA. Great place for high school students as that is pretty much all they hire. They don't ask for more then minimum.
Productive and Enjoyable
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC21 January 2017
A typical day at work would be organizing shelves and checking expiration dates

I learned about what it was like being a store clerk. It was a very enjoyable experience
Pros
Work in a grocery store
Cons
Didn't have the opportunity to work other positions being a volunteer
Friendly staff
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 November 2016
staff are very friendly. All nationalities were welcome. They allowed staff to take on more responsibility to grow. I really enjoyed my time working there
Pros
dynamic workplace
Cons
work/life balance
Extrafoods/ yig
General Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC7 November 2016
It was like highschool all over again. Dirty work environment. In the first few months everyone in my department quit so I got ONLY full time hours until we hired more staff to help me out which I had to beg for. Then when I got another staff moved to my department they cut my hours from 38-40 to 12-20 hors a week. The woman that stole my position suggested I work at a bar...I decided to go to school instead. I quit because of how unprofessional it was and how they hire you and don't give you enough hours to live.
Pros
Sometimes free food
Cons
Dirty, unprofessional
Summary
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Delhi, ON30 October 2016
Go to work and serve customers in a fast pace environment. From cooking to preparing meals for the public. Making sandwiches/subs,chicken,salads and operating slicer for select deli meats.
Storefront Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON1 April 2016
Was a great place and company to work for. Fast paced . Co workers were great,. very well organised . Management was great to work with
Review Summary
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chipman, NB3 March 2016
While working at Your Independent Grocer I have learned how to approach people pleasantly, address issues within the work field, become more independent, organize responsibilities, and become a more professional person overall.
idk.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BC29 February 2016
i already wrote my review for this job application, it was fun the people were great but i had to quit because i was moving.
Organzied, productive
Deli & HMR Clerk (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ON3 February 2016
typical work atmosphere. good workmates. Department managers are very fair, and not too demanding. The hardest part of the job is not getting enough hours sometimes. The co workers are very friendly. The store manager is very involved with the staff, and is often on the floor working.
Very good atmosphere
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON13 January 2016
I enjoyed working in retail as i enjoy being with people,at a point now where no longr wnat management therefore looking for a different career,i enjoy a challenge as well as merchandising .
benefits
Cons
long travelling
Enjoyed the people, especially the customers!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC2 December 2015
A typical day at work was very similar in some ways as for duties, but you really never knew what to expect though regarding customers.So many different personalities, so many different head spaces..some very rushed and impatient, others passive and understanding no matter what. Most things we could not help and had nothing to do with us but it is our job to fix it or call someone who could..speedily and with a smile.
My management was very understanding if you talked to her and let her know your status. Yet she was a very good teacher and on the ball. Some of the management in training where just that and sometimes we just had to bite our tongue..
The hardest part of the job for me was standing in one spot pretty much even though I only had 4 or 5 hour shifts.. and when we were slow..The most enjoyable part of the job was making the customers day a little happier if possible.
Pros
Nice staff to work with! I was able to get important dates off most of the time.
Cons
Five days at 4 hr rather than 3*8 hr days, Minimum wage with no raises for 3 yrs in the union contract for newbys

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Your Independent Grocer. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4