Your Independent Grocer

Your Independent Grocer Employee Reviews

Canada69 reviews
Fun people, enjoyable job
Your Independent Grocer was one of the best job experiences of my life. I learned so much from so many people, and I'll use that for the rest of my life. There can be times where management can get on your nerves as you're getting mixed messages from different managers (that may have just been me though being in a secondary managerial position myself), but don't let that deter you from the fact that it is a great environment to work in!
Bad ownership, good company
I had never been a produce colleague but expected my previous success as a manager would work along with training from the owner, however I did not receive any training at all in the entire time I was employed, after begging for it for month and not getting anywhere I left for a different YIG which provided a month of training as well as weekly check-ins, would not recommend this location.
Deli Clerk at Independent Grocer
The "team" was not friendly and that alone made it not a good environment to be around. The worst part of the job was working in the deep fryer section. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers.
Enjoyable Experience
I really enjoyed my time at the store. People were really friendly and took me in. It was a fast moving work place but still very enjoyable. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a job.
My Review
If this is your first job, I think Your Independent Grocer would be a good place to start. Personally, I would suggest to go for the merchandise Department as it seems like a calm and valuable department than others.
Good first job
Highly recommended for someone who is just beginning in the work place. Hours may not be the best for an adult who is living on their own however, perhaps a 2nd job is required for that.
Productive, busy and lots to do.
The management at the Your Independent Grocer that I worked at slacked. There was a lot of things that could of been done and handled a lot differently. For myself I stepped and went out of my way to do more then what a cashier was required to do so credibility was not there but it was a great learning experience that's for sure.
Productive. The employees are so accomodating
The company is offering medical benefits and salary increase every year to their workers. It is really a productive and fun work place, I was cleaning or repairing everyday.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Your Independent Grocer?
It will suck your soul out
Kids put in management position who have know clue what the word food safety. By far the worst managed business I have worked at in my life! Schedules were never right, and it is always the workers fault. Children in management positions. Kids acting like kids
I got a very good experience on my department.
*When I first got into my work i start breaking down pallates
*If the floor needs to be worked on, i start putting out stuff.

*My manager leave a task list if he is not around.

* I scrap out bad stuff before i end my shift
Good first job
It was a good initial step into the work field. The best part of the job was experiencing a development in friendly relationships with the people in the job environment.
Relatively easy, non-stressful environment for a casual job
Was usually busiest from noon until dinner time. I learned to be punctual and relaxed. Management was strict at times and scheduling often became confusing and some employees lost hours or had odd shifts. The hardest part was dealing with hard to please customers, but a select few extremely polite customers would always make up for them by cracking a joke or giving you compliments on your work. Good part time job that anyone can handle.
Pros
Sometimes there were food and drink in the break room for the staff to enjoy
Cons
Some strict management
Independent is a fun place to work at
My typical day of work was a busy day. What I learned from my workplace is that I know how to understand customers better and how to make my shifts fun.
customer service
Provided premier customer service, including greeting customers and responding to their questions. Followed all food safety and sanitation procedures established by the company and regulatory agencies. Selected and packaged products ordered by customers. Filled, maintained and rotated products and displays. Assisted in other duties as assigned.
Working at independent was a fun, but very strict workplace
Working at Independent was a fun experience, but it got a little bit to repetative and eventually got unsafe for me because of certain coworkers there.
Pros
multiple coffee breaks
Cons
poor management and co-workers
Temporary employment is for the best
There is some people employed there who make the workload very stressful. Management is constantly changing and are not very understanding. It is also owned by the co-op, I don't ever recommend working for them. They do not care about their employees when it comes to workplace harassment.
Pros
Some of the regular customers are awesome
Cons
Owned by the co-op
A great start
While working for Your Independent Grocer, i learned so much in terms of customer relations and retail work. Genuinely, a day's work is around 4 to 6 hours, which is perfect for a part time position. Great for those looking for a first job.
Good experience for a part-time job
The most important thing I have learned from this job is to be patient with not only customers, but with any aspect of a job. The environment is perfect for someone looking for a part-time job with a few hours a week, but I would not recommend it for someone looking for a fun environment.
Job itself was fun, work environment wasn't
Making sure the counter of cakes is full checking the dates. Then check if there is cake orders for that day. If none fill in the freezer any cakes missing.

I learned how to manage my time doing certain tasks, handle unsatisfied customers and making them happy, how to work the oven and freezer, how to check freezer, fridge, floor freezer temperature, know off the top of my head the names of many different pastries and breads.

Management switched around a lot, I had one who was fair and that I liked and the next wasn't too pleasant.

The environment wasn't too pleasant, it was toxic for me, a lot of negative over positive. I would do tasks for the owner and not get thanked for it.

the job wasn't hard, just had to make sure to keep busy and that you keep customers happy.

Most enjoyable was packaging breads and decorating cakes.
Pros
Decorating cakes
Cons
boring employee room
It is a grocery store
The work was fine and management was fine. I did not particularly enjoy working there, nor did I hate it.I did gain some valuable experience in the management and stock ordering department.
Great
Good People
knowledgeable staff

great environment

everyone is hands on

great location

hardest part is waking up for a 5am shift, but it feels great leaving at 2pm
Pros
welcoming staff
Cons
older building so A/C isn't to powerful in the summer time
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Your Independent Grocer. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5