Your Independent Grocer Employee Reviews

A place to stock shelves and meet new people
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON22 April 2018
A typical day consists of unloading order and filling up the shelves while assisting customers. This can be a fun place to work if you get along with your coworkers.
Pros
AC in the summer
Cons
Inconsistent scheduling
Not enough hours
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BC17 April 2018
The work I did was fun and enjoyable but the working hours were unpredictable. I didn't appreciate the way my department manager treated and ended up quitting because he wouldn't give me a minimum set of hours each week.
Pros
Like the customers and my co-workers
Cons
Dept. Manager created a hostile work atmosphere. Low pay.
Monotonous
Stock Person (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 April 2018
Minimal training, boring work. Fine if you're looking for a job to pay the bills, but don't expect any mental stimulation. Hardest thing you will face is memorizing where products are.
Okay as a part time job
Produce member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 March 2018
Working at independent grocer really taught me acouple things. Learning how to put out fresh produce and recycling old produce and if they are going bad to toss them out. The hardest part of the job would be the lack of communication and working by yourself most of the time. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be that it is relatively close to where I live which makes walking to work would not take too long. overall it was a decent place to work for the first time
Basic job best suited for students but available to all.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carleton Place, ON2 February 2018
Very very basic work, simple and repetitive but kind of nice once you get in the groove of it. Do not expect much more than a dime over minimum wage but really it's minimum wage work so what can you do?
Pros
Simple, relaxing
Cons
Low pay
Horrible Experience
Salad Bar, Deli & Beauty Associate (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB1 February 2018
A typical day at work depending on which department I was working in would either have me on the run the entire time I was there, or be way more relaxing and go at your own pace. Beauty was more laid back whereas Deli and Salad bar were go go go. I learned to keep my head down where management was concerned because if you caught their attention at all it was usually for something negative, like you weren't moving fast enough, no matter how much you increased your efficiency. Their expectations were exceedingly high for a low income, low reward environment. The hardest part of the job was keeping calm and pressing your lips together when talked down to or yelled at by management when you'd done nothing to warrant such treatment. The most enjoyable part of the job was switching departments to Beauty where I could work alone and get my job done with minimum intrusion. I hope that with the change in store owners that the environment has changed significantly because as it stands it was my worst job experience and I would never go back or recommend working there.
Pros
Working solo most of the time
Cons
Unreliable and doesn't provide enough hours
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 January 2018
Over hired constantly then provided with each employee roughly 10 hours of work a week. Was not a sustainable source of income and was hard to get more hours.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Lack of hours
Good people, bad managers
Salad Bar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Somewhere5 January 2018
I worked at the salad bar for a few months before quitting. It was my student job. The people I worked with were, for the most part, very fun to work with, and we had some good times together. However, the managers (or at least, my managers) treat you as if you were a machine that is available to work 24/7. They gave me a ridiculous amount of hours from the moment I started working, when the other employees that had worked there longer than me, had shorter hours than me. And when I told my manager that I wasn't content with those hours, because I had school work and sports activities to tend to, he got mad at me and started telling me that I should be able to always work on the weekday evenings and on the weekends, because it said so on my resumé. What it also said on my resumé, however, was that I'd like about 5 to 16 hours a week. I got 30 hours a week. Also, some of the other people I worked with really got on my nerves with how much of control freaks they were. In conclusion, It's an easy job, and you can make good friends, but don't expect to be treated as a valued employee, especially if you're a student or working part-time.
Pros
Easy job, Good co-workers
Cons
Ridiculously long hours, doesn't accomodate you, some co-workers are rude
Great store
HMR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, ON29 November 2017
Flexible hours. Co workers are friendly and are willing to help. Some departments may need you to be bilingual. No benefits. Some of the employees acted immature.
A great place for first time jobs
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sechelt, BC10 July 2017
It was awesome to get to work with amazing people and gain more knowledge of customer service , however after years of doing the same thing over and over again I've finally decided to find something new
Pros
Great people, flexible work hours
Cons
Low salaries not benefits or discounts
Welcoming work environment.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 June 2017
Working for Y.I.G was an amazing experience and allowed me to learn many new things and meet new people. Everyone working their is very kind and welcoming. I gained communication skills having to help customers.
Great team friendly owners.
CUSTOMER SERVICE COUNTER ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Rockland, ON24 April 2017
Very good place to work. Made a lot of friends, had a good time working there. They gave really good hours during the summer and were very flexible when taking time off.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
only part time
Very good atmosphere for the sincere employers
Clerk specialist (Current Employee) –  Edson, AB23 April 2017
I would suggest people to join YIG as it supports and encourages the employers to learn new things. I always enjoyed learning new things here and if you are sincere enough to work then you really love the work atmosphere here.
Pros
One hour break for lunch
Good first job
Baker (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC31 March 2017
Good first job not long term.
Management is not professional at times
benefits there is none but some for higher ups but you pay to much
labour is hard in some areas and dangerous
good and friendly workers
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON12 March 2017
Pros
Very nice owners
Cons
A lot of standing as a cashier
management was horrible
Deli/HMR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prescott, ON21 February 2017
The management made working there not pleasant. The work place was full of gossip and everything spread to everyone very fast. I would not suggest working here at all.
Good work, terrible environment.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 February 2017
The job in itself is very easy and repetitive, which is perfectly fine. However, management has a tendency to treat you like a machine.
After a crippling work injury I took a single day off, but my return was unwelcome and I was ridiculed as a bad example (by management), up until they bullied me into quitting.

Also reluctant to give you their mandatory pay increase
Pros
Easy work, friendly co-workers
Cons
No benefits, unfair management, low hours
Used to be great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON14 February 2017
when i worked there it was pretty good. the manager was willing to do anything within her power to help you out. a few years ago she began to retreat however, spending more time in her office and less time with employees. at the end i left because they required a doctors note every day i was out after severely injuring my ankle. this was not indicative of my total experience. after revisiting later on i noticed many employees seem more stressed and less happy to be there.
Fun place to work
Assistant Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2017
Super cheep franchise only follow the CBA. Great place for high school students as that is pretty much all they hire. They don't ask for more then minimum.
Productive and Enjoyable
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC21 January 2017
A typical day at work would be organizing shelves and checking expiration dates

I learned about what it was like being a store clerk. It was a very enjoyable experience
Pros
Work in a grocery store
Cons
Didn't have the opportunity to work other positions being a volunteer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Your Independent Grocer. Our community is ready to answer.