Young Drivers of Canada

Young Drivers of Canada Employee Reviews

Canada36 reviews
Very easy going atmosphere. You have your daily tasks and know what to do. Management is rarely in the office, and even when they are, they are very kind. The job itself becomes very tiresome. There is no room to grow and thus will bored with your job.
Young Driver's Of Canada was an in depth in -class in- car everyday but Saturday and Sunday situated at YD headquarters Hamilton Ontario. It was a very tough course. If you walked out of there the same day as in -car training you were more then likely saying self !!! Not a very good driver.. Training made the difference 100% If you want to become the best.. Train with YD .
Pros
Values. Tools for success Train your Brain .Emergency Manoeuvrs
Cons
Long hrs. Different MT0 test centres .
Typically a smooth day aside from the scheduling, that is why i started self Scheduling a long time ago. The people in Woodbridge, Ontario, Cannot speak for travel time in British Columbia.

I learned that in a time of Crisis, management will try to take advantage as much as they can. Without union consent. Management are friendly individuals, very helpful, kind of deceitful because Upper management tells them to lie to their employees :).

All the instructors are very supportive, but when the union is involved and seniority comes into play people go without work ... The Toughest part of the job is nothing really, I really do enjoy working with people giving them life skills, but without proper compensation its difficult to be content.

Most enjoyable part of the job is making a difference in peoples lives and helping them learn life skills.
Pros
Helping people, Company Car (GAS, Maintenance, before Carona anyway)
Cons
Upper Management, make sure the contract matches the job ad
When I started at Young Drivers Ottawa, my hourly wage was $17.00/hr – after a year of service it was bumped up to $18.00/hr. Unless you share an income with someone else, and considering the current economic climate, this is not adequate. Realistically, a base of $25.00/hr is needed to live with relative comfort in Ontario (aside from Toronto and parts of the GTA) – but, if you want to make a decent and honest wage, avoid Young Drivers!
Working as an instructor, you will be expected to commit 9 hours per day/5 days a week. This does not include commuting to your first lesson/home from your last lesson (so expect to spend 10-11 hours on the road each day). Nor does the company pay for travel time – which can account for 1.5-2 hours of your day. Thus, based on the full time hours expected by Young Drivers, maintaining a part-time job on top of this is not realistic. Keeping in mind that, unless you have another source of income, you will struggle to make ends meet working full time for YD. There is room for advancement/promotion, but you’ll need to provide the company with years of service before this emerges as long-term viable financial option.

Also, the owners of the company are fairly absent from the day-to-day operations. They are perfectly nice people, and, when available, always helped out and provided feedback on performance or answered ‘on the job’ questions. However, I question the office/scheduling staff, because, based on my experience, they’re predominately incompetent. Especially when communicating last minute scheduling changes OR adequately calculating
 - more...
This is a great job, if you plan to maintain at least another part-time job, or you are in a relationship where you share life expenses with someone. If you need full-time work, and you plan for this to be your only job, you are likely to be disappointed.

Don't be fooled by the fancy math they show you in your interview. The main thing you need to know is this job pays less than minimum wage. They are able to do this because they pay for service, so you are paid per 45 minute in-car lesson that you teach (@12.45 per lesson). Your travel time in between lessons, which can be 15-30 minutes is not paid. There are no paid breaks or lunches (good luck finding time to go to the bathroom!) They have bonuses for reaching 30, 40, 50 lessons in a week where you'd get $3, $4, $5, per lesson bonuses, respectively. But even the 30 lessons per week mark can be hard to hit. 50 is almost impossible when you factor in travel time. You would have to be on the road close to 60 hours per week, and don't forget the majority of your students are in high school, so those middle of the day hours they aren't available. You have to pay close attention to your schedule, and hope that all your students are willing to do a lesson. A couple cancellations (teenagers cancel all the time!) and you don't hit your 30 lesson mark, and your pay rate slides to $12.45. Also, there are times when there aren't enough students to spread amongst the instructors in your area, so you couldn't hit that 30 lesson/week mark if you wanted. 2 week paycheques can often be in the $400-$600 range.

Also, the 4
 - more...
Long hours for little pay. I was hired by the owner and he was not upfront with how little the pay would be for the long hours worked. You get a company car to teach in but then your pay is so low.
Do your homework before working here!
Very sad that new owners know little or nothing about the product offered only the associated $. It will be a very sad day when the current president and past owner retires. He is the passion.
Pros
Excellent Program/Product - top notch
Cons
Very cliquey (sic), tail wags the dog, everyone thinks theyre in charge, grapevine is rapant
Imagine you're with a novice driver who is on a main road for the first time, having to make a lane change with traffic. Imagine your with a novice driver making a left turn with oncoming traffic and judging how fast the pedestrians are moving in the crosswalk.

Now imagine your doing this with 4 novice drivers everyday. This is the life of an instructor. When you consider the number of drivers on the road increases every year while the number of streets barely increases, we can easily see the math problem here. Driving today is not like driving 20 years ago let alone 40 years ago. There are way more cyclists, motorcycles, pedestrians and distracted drivers on the road today than ever before.

This is why you come to Young Drivers of Canada. You trust that the in-car instructor is going to make sure you or your loved ones are going to be safe at all times and learn how to be safe themselves when they are on their own.

The training that instructors receive is unmatched and allow them to drive CollisionFree! They then teach the CollisionFree! approach to all their students, taking some of them from not knowing the gas pedal from the brake, to passing their road tests. Its then their real test begins. Driving with the other 8 million drivers in Ontario alone.

Working for Young Drivers of Canada is challenging in many ways. However you will not likely ever get bored. New students pose new challenges to overcome and you have a team of people supporting you. I know that as an instructor I changed many lives in a positive way. Helping students overcome anxiety, fear, lack
 - more...
Pros
Amazing driving system, teaching people of all ages, being outside not in an office
Cons
Long days, traffic
Flexibility with schedule up to a point, at the mercy of students schedules. Great Boss. Hard to balance work and social life during the winter. Could use more benefits such as medical.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Young Drivers of Canada?
The students are GREAT !!! The owner in the sault is horrible. Promise you the world and not come go for anything. I worked my first 7 weeks for free because she was too cheap to pay my wages. They did pay for the training course $750 lol but I had to bring my own laptop to do the course lmao. I loved the teaching part it was a blast. But the owner/management is the worst.

would
I've enjoyed working at YD since the day I started. The overall work environment is comfortable, supportive, collaborative and team oriented. Not to mention perks like company socials, team building events and free coffee! Management is easy to approach and it is obvious that they truly value their employees.
Great place to work - really supportive when first learning the job, as well as any time after you get started.

Lots of opportunities to do different things - new students in-car, experienced drivers, senior refreshers, classroom teaching and more!
Report to the manager and follow his instructions
Job assigned form the manager

Be a friend to the student

Time and job management

Feel comfortable inside the car

Instruction about the car driving function

Stay calm and not afraid

Happiness is the driver learn how to drive
Everyone there is really accommodating and kind. You will definitely learn a lot about inbound sales call and how to convert them into sales. Good training team
I have worked for several companies throughout my career and I can honestly say this place is great. The YD culture is amazing and people are great to work with. Employees are trusted to do their jobs and given the space to succeed while still receiving support and encouragement from management.
Joining this team has been one of the best decisions I've ever made in terms of my career.
Pros
Free coffee, tea, water cooler. Awesome people, great teams.
Disappointing experience with Young Driver’s Canada

I worked at Young Drivers of Canada full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a lot of good thinking and procedures about safe driving. They are trying but are limited in soooo many ways......

Cons

I was told “Anyone can do this job”, and if you think about it, anyone with clean drivers license can do this job.

Money wise, do not bother...unless you want to stay tooooo long time with them.

Management is good, but for the office, they do not care about you, as DI!

They are cheap!

They count on turnover of people (driving instructors).

Need more new, young people as management.

Is it a union job, or a contract job, or you are paid by piece...

Advice to Management

Copied!!

Pay your employees what they are worth.

Allow them to claim income tax refunds for the repairs and maintenance.

Better pay results in happier employees who want to come to work as opposed to feeling stuck and have to work for you.

Instructors need a living wage, and need to keep up with the ever-rising costs of living.

Instructors are not being paid enough for the amount and quality of work, and the risk we deal with every day.

It is disconcerting to see that a scheduler who is at a desk talking on the phone to parents all day is getting paid better than front line people who risk life and limb to do the job.

Working as a full time job, 50 hours a week, will get you T4 for 27k for the year.

If you want to work with them, ask questions. Know all you need before you buy a car to work for them.

They do not
 - more...
Pros
They have a lot of good thinking and procedures about safe driving.
Cons
Is it a union job, or a contract job, or you are paid by piece...
Would go to work and wait for inbound calls
Learned to adapt speech and ask discovery questions

Close techniques were learned

Great place to make friends, but there was hardly every any collaboration, as the pay scale was made to encourage an "Every man for themselves" attitude.
Great place to work if you're ok with a slightly higher than minimum wage pay
Great people and management staff

Very fun job culture

Office lunches and snacks occur frequently enough
Pros
Job Culture, staff, work life balance
Cons
Pay, no growth
I enjoyed teaching people how to drive but the pay was very low. This was a LONG time ago so cannot really submit a review. Not even the same owner anymore
The main focus of the work was to take calls, answer questions, and book customers into courses.This was pure sales. Learning materials for improving sales techniques were provided, and were very helpful. I learned a lot about sales in general.
the work was challenging at times and repetitive at times. Micromanaging was common. The work became overwhelming (it was found that I was answering 40% of the incoming calls out of the 3 salespeople
Pros
union
Cons
union