York University Employee Reviews

Aramark does not promote from within
Food Prep/Serving/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Glendon College, Toronto16 April 2018
Aramark hires people who are lost in space as managers/supervisors and I was very qualified and started at minimum wage and 8 years later was still at minimum wage---only stayed because I liked being around students and University close by.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Brain Damaged Managers
Fun workplace and easy to communicate with customers
Residence Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2018
My job at the university was a demanding and challenging job but my colleagues made it a fun and bearable experience. During the event of an emergency, we had to call the securities and paramedics and be able to handle it from there while also making sure no one unauthorized entered the building. Time management was a must and we had to keep our work space clean and organized.
Pros
Live in residence
Cons
demanding
Laid Back Office Environment
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2018
A typical day of work consists of coming into the office and getting the work from my supervisor. Afterward, we pick a computer and complete the work that was given. Questions were typically self-answered as there a manual, and independence was encouraged. However, the supervisors were very willing to help when needed.
Productive and fun place to work at
Residence Head Night Porter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2018
Amazing place to work in. You can study at this job, not too time consuming. It is perfect for a student trying to manage their time well. The pay is not too high because the work is divided amongst a lot of people but that is why it is an easily manageable job.
Productive and fun work place with communication exercises
Annual Fund Ambassador (Former Employee) –  North York, ON2 April 2018
the work day starts off with a fun, team building exercise including games/questions. I learned a crucial skill of communicating with people, building rapport, and handling objections. The culture of the workplace is competitive which keeps everyone on their toes and work hard towards getting a donation from alumni. A difficult aspect of the job is handling various alumni's objections and negative reactions during the calls, however it did help me to become more professional in handling tough situations with confidence.
Unstable work; lovely students
Section Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2018
I enjoy teaching, but my classes are suspended; due to York University's inability to offer a living wage, proper benefits, and at this point, even protect us from violence and internal sabotage on the picket line from their hired thugs.
Productive and fun work environment
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2018
Very productive, collaborative work environment. Great colleagues who created a sense of community in the Math department. The Salary is not fair considering the workload
Mixing and Mastering
music (Former Employee) –  North York, ON22 March 2018
For an non profit organization, i mixed and mastered a music with my ability to create unique beats, and also did touches and edits to make the music more better to hear.
A Diverse Workplace
Senior Copyright Clearance Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2018
Many opportunities at York University. Great for transitioning students into the workplace with flexibility for future schooling. Great accessibility with the new subway as well.
Optimal workplace with lots of opportunity
Lead Rink Convenor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2018
A great environment to work in, with lots of opportunity for community involvement. There's always room for improvement and learning, which helps to develop a great work ethic and good character.
Very relaxed
Data Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 February 2018
Not competitive like other universities. Grad students are getting incompetent with every year.
Hopefully, now that the university is connected to the subway, it wouldn't take hours to escape this remote and boring place.
productive and fun
CONSTRUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2018
i learned a lot of new chores
they have the typical working hours
there was nothing really hard about this job
the workplace culture was diverse
the most enjoyable part of my job was finishing on time
Experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2018
This job was awesome it offered flex work with school and life. Great team, great experience and lots of exposure with professors. Highly recommend this position.
nice university
Vice-President (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2018
York University is a good place to study. People are nice here, professors are knowledgeable. I learned a lot in York, not only from the book, but also life experience
York Universit
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2018
Great Benefits,
Room for Internal job move
very structured payroll department, you cannot multitask, so less room for learning new skills,
not much communication between management and lower staff
Frosh Review
Frosh Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  North York, ON7 February 2018
Being a Frosh Orientation leader developed my leadership skills and my ability to work collaboratively in a team. As an Orientation I was for integrating new students into the community,
Fun and enjoyable experience
Annual Fund Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2018
It is a very supportive community, the staff members are very friendly and open-minded. You can gain many valuable skills such as communication, rapport building, and being able to handle a variety of objections. It is an overall great experience.
Exam Supervisor
Postal Services Mailing Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2018
Maintained the role of frontline operating authority; responsible for the operation of all on-
Site activity provide supervision and direction to all invigilators on sight. Ensure that all
operations/schedules required are met 100% of the time.
 Responsible for supervising various examination throughout the semesters
 Ensure compliance with York University Senate policies.
 Liaise with departments and professors to get clarification and additional materials
 Ensure that the integrity of exams are upheld at all times
 Assist with the transporting of official exams from various departments
 Act as lead hand for invigilators
 Preparing scholarships and bursary letters for incoming students
 Oversee course evaluation process at the end of each academic
An organization with many challenges
Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2018
While upper level educational institutions should be places of exploring and in depth learning, unfortunately when faculty and staff are focused on themselves and take an entitlement mentality, only the students suffer.
If you want stability and little challenge, work there
PROJECT MANAGER / LEAD SOFTWARE DEVELOPER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2018
There are great people, there are good people there, and there are many, many people who just want to do the work, get paid and be left alone.

Management has no power to do much so you are stuck in limbo.