York University Employee Reviews

Good job benefits
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 August 2018
Great job money wise. But lack of management. Many strikes. Peers can be rude and competitive at times. Depends which department you work it. Great health benefits.
Not worth the time
Course Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2018
Was good for experience, but I got paid a TA's salary for course director work. In the end it took a lot of time away from my graduate research, and caused a lot of stress. I'd only do it again if I were being paid more.
Very Inclusive workplace
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2018
Very productive workplace with lots of opportunities to develop skills and grow personally. I truly enjoyed my experience working with York University, the pay rates are incredible and the workplace culture inclusive.
Pros
Great pay
Senior Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2018
The classes I was a teaching assistant for I really enjoyed. There can be a lot of work in terms of marking or making sure your tutorials useful and informative for students
Pros
serious students
Very good
Marketing Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2018
Amazing learning experience and for time lots of work but it pays off. Will highly recommended. Was lucky to work with so many amazing & like minded professors & staff
Pros
amazing
Cons
unionize so growth might be limited
York University
Administrative Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON7 August 2018
If I see an opportunity at York University, I would go there i without giving a second thought. The staff at York is amazing and I am not saying it as an alumini. York University definitely knows how to treat their employees.
Course Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to study at York University and to work with committed colleagues, staff and students for the past fifteen years.
Benefits
Cons
Strikes
friendly and productive workplace
Scholarships and Bursaries Assistant (Former Employee) –  York Lanes8 July 2018
Learned how to use Office, amazing workplace culture with many friendly faces, understanding management, manual filing was the hardest part but I loved it.
Pros
independent work
Cons
unpaid lunch
Amazing environment
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 July 2018
Such an amazing work place, with great environment. The administrative staff are very helpful. The workplace is mostly calm and organized, graduate students have private desks in a shared office space.
Pros
good facilities
A lot of strikes
student (Former Employee) –  North York, ON7 July 2018
The campus is very big. Programs are great. If you are looking for more of an intimate setting, college is the avenue for you. Overall, good profs and great programs.
Pros
good criminology programs
Cons
strikes
Productive and creative workplace
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 July 2018
Developed investment portfolio with workmates and satisfied over 300 clients through coordination and communicating.
Proactively connected with clients and built strong relationships with strong personal ethics and desire to success.
productive experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 June 2018
it was a learning experience, I really enjoyed working there with fellow students. The staff support is great and you are in an environment that is fast-paced
Relaxed with Great people
Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 June 2018
Great people, relaxed space. Pick your hours. whats not to like about that.

If you are working a show there tends to be a lot of work at the beginning and end of the shift with a lot of downtime in the middle.
Dream job!
Teaching Assistant & Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 June 2018
A great place to work, Excellent corporate benefits, lots of fun activities, People are friendly and follow very high standard of work ethics. Recommend others to join!
Fun place to work at
PASS Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 June 2018
While the position of a PASS leader is a rewarding, one, the salary is on the low end of what you should expect. The positive side is that you can get creative with your sessions to help students understand the subject better.
Fun environment, Great co-workers
Residence Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2018
Overall, I really enjoyed my time as a night porter at York University. The job was very easy and a great experience. The hours given were very minimal. 3-hour shifts maybe 3 times a week with a minimum wage pay. It was a great experience, but pocket change in terms of pay. I would do it again!

The only negative part about the job is that I worked at the Calumet Residence. So late at night after my shift, I had to leave the porter station alone to walk to my room. I was often confronted by stragglers.
Pros
experience
Cons
short shifts, Calumet Residence layout
Teacher Assistant & Invigilator
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
Easy going staff, great benefits/insurance, well prepared and organized facility, good communication skills from management and supervisors, and very accommodating regarding sick days and other requests (religious or otherwise). Opportunity to pick up extra hours through optional invigilation
Pros
Amazing benefits, flexible hours
Cons
Strike, quality of working conditions vary from supervisor to supervisor
A good place to work
Assist and provide client services at front desk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
York University's UIT (university IT) department was an amazing place to work. The educational and inspiring surroundings and setting allows one to keep up with the knowledge regarding IT upgrades and updates. Not only this but also allows to enhance technical, client dealing services.

The environment of work place was very friendly. The management was friendly, helpful and provide their support where ever needed.
Pros
Educational settings
Cons
limited hours
Productive and fun workplace
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2018
Great environment to work in, training is given to well prepare you for the job. Always have others to help when needed, great place to learn more about information technology while on the job.
My work ethics
Lab Monitor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
The work I have been doing is modify and update the data banks in in the labs. I learned how to code using Unix to input data into student profile. I report to the Lab Supervisor should there be any changes student profile. I also see the students progression and time login as part of record. We work together as a team with many different backgrounds from all over the world.

The toughest about the job is not be able to debug correctly at first until I figure where the error was. I believe to forget to log out.

The most enjoyable part is to help students sign out laptops and tablets for their courses. Also , I update student profile using the Unix Shell.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
computers