York University Employee Reviews

Amazing environment
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 July 2018
Such an amazing work place, with great environment. The administrative staff are very helpful. The workplace is mostly calm and organized, graduate students have private desks in a shared office space.
Pros
good facilities
A lot of strikes
student (Former Employee) –  North York, ON7 July 2018
The campus is very big. Programs are great. If you are looking for more of an intimate setting, college is the avenue for you. Overall, good profs and great programs.
Pros
good criminology programs
Cons
strikes
Productive and creative workplace
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 July 2018
Developed investment portfolio with workmates and satisfied over 300 clients through coordination and communicating.
Proactively connected with clients and built strong relationships with strong personal ethics and desire to success.
productive experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 June 2018
it was a learning experience, I really enjoyed working there with fellow students. The staff support is great and you are in an environment that is fast-paced
Relaxed with Great people
Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 June 2018
Great people, relaxed space. Pick your hours. whats not to like about that.

If you are working a show there tends to be a lot of work at the beginning and end of the shift with a lot of downtime in the middle.
Dream job!
Teaching Assistant & Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 June 2018
A great place to work, Excellent corporate benefits, lots of fun activities, People are friendly and follow very high standard of work ethics. Recommend others to join!
Fun place to work at
PASS Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 June 2018
While the position of a PASS leader is a rewarding, one, the salary is on the low end of what you should expect. The positive side is that you can get creative with your sessions to help students understand the subject better.
Fun environment, Great co-workers
Residence Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2018
Overall, I really enjoyed my time as a night porter at York University. The job was very easy and a great experience. The hours given were very minimal. 3-hour shifts maybe 3 times a week with a minimum wage pay. It was a great experience, but pocket change in terms of pay. I would do it again!

The only negative part about the job is that I worked at the Calumet Residence. So late at night after my shift, I had to leave the porter station alone to walk to my room. I was often confronted by stragglers.
Pros
experience
Cons
short shifts, Calumet Residence layout
Teacher Assistant & Invigilator
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
Easy going staff, great benefits/insurance, well prepared and organized facility, good communication skills from management and supervisors, and very accommodating regarding sick days and other requests (religious or otherwise). Opportunity to pick up extra hours through optional invigilation
Pros
Amazing benefits, flexible hours
Cons
Strike, quality of working conditions vary from supervisor to supervisor
A good place to work
Assist and provide client services at front desk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
York University's UIT (university IT) department was an amazing place to work. The educational and inspiring surroundings and setting allows one to keep up with the knowledge regarding IT upgrades and updates. Not only this but also allows to enhance technical, client dealing services.

The environment of work place was very friendly. The management was friendly, helpful and provide their support where ever needed.
Pros
Educational settings
Cons
limited hours
Productive and fun workplace
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2018
Great environment to work in, training is given to well prepare you for the job. Always have others to help when needed, great place to learn more about information technology while on the job.
My work ethics
Lab Monitor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
The work I have been doing is modify and update the data banks in in the labs. I learned how to code using Unix to input data into student profile. I report to the Lab Supervisor should there be any changes student profile. I also see the students progression and time login as part of record. We work together as a team with many different backgrounds from all over the world.

The toughest about the job is not be able to debug correctly at first until I figure where the error was. I believe to forget to log out.

The most enjoyable part is to help students sign out laptops and tablets for their courses. Also , I update student profile using the Unix Shell.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
computers
Attend Lectures
Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2018
Attend classes on a daily basis and listen to lectures, do group work example presentations, group discussios and debates, hand in assignments example written essays.
Good
Circulation and Reserves Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2018
Good to work on campus while studying. I learned how to guide students. Management was understanding. Workplace culture was fair. The hardest part was dealing with high volume.
Fun working environment
EVENTS COORDINATOR• NSA (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2018
I learnt and developed great communication skills. It was a very flexible and comfortable work environment. Co-workers were friendly and very respectful.
Flexible
Student Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2018
Able to work around class schedule, make your own time table depending on your roll and availability, various different job postions, good for on campus students
Run as fast as you can!
Instructor (Former Employee) –  York, ON4 May 2018
This organisation has outdated teaching practices, poorly skilled & incompetent management; team building and caring for employees are foreign terms;
zero benefits, no sick leave or sick pay, no paid holidays,
morale is low,
favouritism is common: teaching hours and development opportunities are distributed based on favouritism unfairly,
very limited opportunities for professional development.
Seniority is worshipped and there is a complete disregard of teachers' real teaching skills and abilities.
Some senior teachers are IT illiterate but have been working as a full time faculty without the need to upgrade their skills.

Overall, this is not a professional working environment suitable for degree qualified educators.
Pros
hours of work
Cons
favouritism
Meh
Room Attendant (Maintenance) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2018
- Some days will be very busy, some won't be.
- Heavy and intensive workload plus the added heat during the summer will test your patience.
- The supervisor is really nice if you do your work. The main boss however....
York University
Student Housing Department Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 April 2018
It was a great experience working at York university I would highly recommended this organization to people looking for employment. There was a high culture of team work and it fostered a healthy work environment.
Fun.
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2018
New experience in teaching field. Dealing with many inexperience students would allow me to understand their concern for projects and future work tasks.