York University Employee Reviews

Peaceful workplace
Data collector (Current Employee) –  Ontario11 January 2019
Working at the Institute for social research at York university as a telephone data collector and a student is very productive.

A typical working day at the ISR has a very subtle atmosphere. Very quiet until employees start conducting interviews, supervisors are very friendly and allow for short breaks in order for employees to take some time off their desks.
Very positive & conducive environment to work in.
The hardest part of the job is the lack of flexibility due to employees being assigned to focus on completing one survey which is done over time.
Working at ISR has its fun times especially when your shifts are very short ( 3 hours) a day.
Pros
Short working hours
Cons
Boredom
Yes it is productive in many ways !
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2019
It is a great to work and grow ! plus its service areas are excellent ! Example, the various Cafe and Coffee places ! transportation, such as Subway,, TTC buses , York Region and Brampton and Go buses services are excellent !

It has great diversity in every level , or work places ! Anyways it is a great place to work !
Pros
it has great people to work with
Cons
everything is okay
Friendly and Productive Work Environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2018
Some days were spent holding focus group sessions or interviews with individual students and others were going through results and finally coming up with solutions.

The interviews were the most enjoyable and most challenging part of this as it was very interesting to learn different students perception however getting them to open up and talk freely was difficult at times.
Pros
Getting to know my community and working with people across all engineering fields.
Experience with York
RN Student (Current Employee) –  North York, ON1 December 2018
I have a great deal of issues with them regarding scheduling class especially exams which does not suit a mature students with kids. The exam is at Sunday night while leaving family’s with children with no day care option. The class are run late not enough help from professors.
Pros
Free give away
Cons
Too much populated and bad scheduling
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 November 2018
Working with the department of Humanities at York University was a very good experience which enhanced my organisational and professional skills. The working ours are flexible and management very friendly as well as being clear on job roles and responsibilities.
Pros
Flexibility, Organised and Understanding Management
Working for a specific professor is rewarding
Environmental Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2018
I cannot speak to the entire institution. I was a research assistant under a professor in the Geography department. He was an excellent employer, always tried to make sure I had access to all opportunities which could accelerate my career.
Professional, self-directed research with a good look into the world of academia
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2018
Professors are willing to engage and look specifically for assistants whose field of research, specialties, or skills match up with theirs. A good mentoring system that helps to build professional academic skills in students of the Masters level or beyond.
Excellent environment
GradConnect Wellness Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2018
Excellent environment, very friendly co-workers, lots of cake and other free food, I had a non-stressful student job.Would recommend this to fellow students as a great place to work (Faculty of Graduate Studies)
research lab
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2018
research labs lack resources or funding and are unable to advance students to grow more than the boundaries of what is available at the university. Not much resources available for international or national involvement.
ETL Developer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2018
Nice work environment, flex working hours, nice kitchen, team member are nice to work with. Desktop is a bit slow, printer needs to be set by help desk.
Pros
Free coffee, tea
Cons
With strike, it will take a long time to get to work
Good place to work as a student
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  North York, ON19 November 2018
Working as a student at York has been awesome. The staff there is always accommodating especially during exam period. Learned a lot working in different departments and expanded my network
Fun environment, Great co-workers
Residence Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2018
Overall, I really enjoyed my time as a night porter at York University. The job was very easy and a great experience. The hours given were very minimal. 3-hour shifts maybe 3 times a week with a minimum wage pay. It was a great experience, but pocket change in terms of pay. I would do it again!

The only negative part about the job is that I worked at the Calumet Residence. So late at night after my shift, I had to leave the porter station alone to walk to my room. I was often confronted by stragglers.
Pros
experience
Cons
short shifts, Calumet Residence layout
Very Inclusive workplace
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2018
Very productive workplace with lots of opportunities to develop skills and grow personally. I truly enjoyed my experience working with York University, the pay rates are incredible and the workplace culture inclusive.
Pros
Great pay
A good place to work
Assist and provide client services at front desk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
York University's UIT (university IT) department was an amazing place to work. The educational and inspiring surroundings and setting allows one to keep up with the knowledge regarding IT upgrades and updates. Not only this but also allows to enhance technical, client dealing services.

The environment of work place was very friendly. The management was friendly, helpful and provide their support where ever needed.
Pros
Educational settings
Cons
limited hours
Teacher Assistant & Invigilator
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
Easy going staff, great benefits/insurance, well prepared and organized facility, good communication skills from management and supervisors, and very accommodating regarding sick days and other requests (religious or otherwise). Opportunity to pick up extra hours through optional invigilation
Pros
Amazing benefits, flexible hours
Cons
Strike, quality of working conditions vary from supervisor to supervisor
Enjoyable, fun
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2019
Working at york gave a good balance between job and life, salary benefits are better than most of the universities in canada. however the only problem is strike occurring almost every 3 years
Held at the Toronto public library
Coop at Wynford Salon and Spa- Required (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 October 2018
Ask a series of questions related to stereotypes teens faced. Suck as peer pressure, drug influences, skipping classes. As I am a teenager I was able to give my input.
Great workplace
Research And Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON9 January 2019
The campus is big with separate buildings and place to cool mind -making good work life balance. The staff are very friendly and eager to help.
One downside: Strikes happen here
Great Hours, Great Pace
DATA PROCESSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Schulich School of Business5 November 2018
Love Working here. Has the perfect Work-Life Balance. The hours are great and the benefits are great too. Good place to meet people. Not as easy to move from a temp position.
Cons
Can be a bit slow
Fun place
Help Desk Technician (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2019
The working space is pretty much an integration between an IT place and a education space. Typical day to day tasks include providing students with level 1 support.