York University

York University Employee Reviews

Canada530 reviews
My experience working at York was excellent. Great work / life balance. Meaningful/ rewarding career.
I got to combine my passion for nursing with teaching in one role as clinical Educator.
Pros
Interesting, rewarding, well paid
Cons
Contract position- could not afford this type of employment in the long run
A typical day at work is walking in and being able to help individuals or customers to the best of my abilities. Learning how to cater to the needs to individuals and adjust my own schedule and work style according tot he requirements of my job.
Time management would be an asset to succeed at any job.
Pros
Networking
A good university to study. I didn't work in this company. However, I gained lots of experience while studying there. York is a good university to gain hands on experience while studying.
From the first day of my joining i enjoyed lot during my work. I can say the management and the whole staff is very helpful to each other. Nice place to have fun during work.
I like the diversity of work environment. If you are ready to work in a fast paced and challenging environment with great growth opportunities, then you are in the right direction.
You can leverage your curiosity, with a desire to excel in a challenging environment.
i was a student at YorkU when I worked there and its the best job I have done so far. I truly appreciate the respect my co-workers had for each other. this always reinforced a positive work environment. I worked a bilingual job and therefore it required me to be able to converse in French. I was paid more than a lot of my friends at their jobs, well above minimum wage and it allowed me save a lot.
i really miss working there
Its is really good experience to work at York University, you can interact with other people and its really friendly environment, no stress what's so ever. Someone will enjoy.
Great place to work, fun environment, good management. Very relaxed, high job security, great benefits. .
Amazing experience. Got to learn a lot about how user research works as well as Human Computer Interaction. The faculty is very supportive and helpful. Loved spending my summer working here!
Typically your managers will regulate as much of your time as they possibly can.

I didn't really learn anything

Management does not want you to progress out of doing whatever they say.

Most people are uptight, closed off and boring

Hardest part of the job is staying at work and pretending you love your job for the full shift

The most enjoyable part of the job is and always will be clocking out
Working at York University is overall a good experience. Lots of opportunities to collaborate between and within departments. Overall ratings are highly dependent on individual experiences with immediate supervisors and departments.
Fast paced work environment for the beginning of each semester, but fairly relaxed in the interim. A good position for anyone who can be organized while juggling a few different tasks.
I enjoyed teaching at the York University; classroom technologies are well structured, and employees are helpful. I would definitely consider a full-time career here.
I found this job while I was still at university at York. It was pretty decent considering I was a student and it provided me with the experience that I needed when I was first starting out.
We start working very early in the morning and sometimes our co-workers are a bit off, or not in a conversational mood. Sometimes this makes the working experience a bit rough. The people from the offices are very polite and friendly which makes a difference and they make us feel welcomed.
Overall, decent experience as Data entry operator. University provided paid training.Work schedule was generally 3- 4 hours a week. Pay rate is ok and commute is easy.
Great work environment. Gained valuable experience, particularly working with others in an effective manner to ensure that the best interests of the company are at the forefront of everything that we do.
The University experience it's different for everyone. Though I enjoyed my time at York the degree didn't aid directly to my career. All the jobs I acquired were a result of my skills accumulated previous to my degree.
Marking is tough but you get used to it. Fantastic professors I worked for.
My time at York University was very positive, I am glad to have had a chance to work there. The atmosphere was often intense, and often required to be innovative and problem solve, but it gave me a great amount of experience which I will carry on to future jobs as well. Working at York University required collaboration, which was made easy by the friendly environment.
Very good environment where I learned a lot about working with kids and how to teach them new skills related to basketball. Great experience as I got to do this with my teammates and the staff were very helpful in ensuring I was putting my best foot forward to help these kids develop their basketball games.