York University
Happiness score is 75 out of 100

York University Employee Reviews

Loved working for the university I graduated from 😃

I loved working in the campus I studied at as a university graduate and loved helping students, marketing the university and working with faculty. However due to seniority being a unionized environment, I found it very difficult to move up and or stay in a permanent position in the area I loved at the time which was student recruitment.

Pros

Benefits and student/campus environment

Cons

Unionized environment seniority creates so many obstacles for progression in a career.

Terrible upper management at Tait McKenzie

If you want to be under appreciated and treated poorly, this lifeguard job is for you. They only recently raise the pay and I still don't think it is worth it. The lifeguards were great but the managers are terrible. They are the definition of a dictatorship work environment. Before them there was flexible working hours but I would argue that it's not going to be like that now. The upper management is friends with lower so you can't even approach anyone about the mistreatment. The water levels would be off and the lifeguards would get the push back on them for it not working. You would loose hours constant because of the pool closures. if I could give 0 stars I would.

Pros

fellow lifeguards

Cons

everything else

Such a great place to work, and learn at the same time

Managers were great, the environment was relaxing and friendly. You need to be willing to figure things out, sometimes communication is not too clear, so try to seek out information.They had a day every week dedicated to our professional development and would gladly write you recommendation letters. I enjoyed my entire experience

Pros

Free lunches

A very liveable place to work

This is a family place to work. You will never be isolated. York is a very ideal place to work and gain experience. The students are great and have maximum respect for everyone.

Pros

Great pay.

Cons

Short hours

New job and new experiences

Hi I was chosen for the Library Assistant job at geography resource centre by a supervisor who was retiring. It was good experience in terms of work hours were assigned according to my studies schedule. I was a receptionist as well other than library assistant. I learned time management by signing readings finding in the computer data base and giving them to student as well as to Professors.

York university

Is a good place if you just doing it you stuff management is corrupted as well the union president he’s the one who decided the decrease of contract.&

Productive work place

Working daily with highly professional people and academicians.Learned how to navigate special research systems, to use paper filing systems as well as donors' systems. My manager was very helpful, explained tasks well and gave me the opportunities to learn.The place culture is sensitive and politically correct with high attention to details, creativity and out of the box thinking is welcomed but not always needed because there are systems in place.The hardest part was the commute which is now solved with a subway station on campus.The most enjoyable part was the people.

Pros

Union benefits

Cons

Limited part time work

Collaborative Work Environment

York offers many different job opportunities in many different fields. My overall experience was ok. Upper level management and administration are very disconnected from lower level employees and students. This prevents them from seeing what is actually occurring on the campus. This includes possible issues or the needs of the community. This also causes them to prevent non student members of York from connecting with students and student leaders. As weird of an experience I had though if I was offered a job at York I would return immediately. it is truly an amazing community and even with its issues there are so many fantastic people on campus. Including students, staff and faculty.

Pros

Collaborattion

Cons

Confusing Workplace Culture

Very bias. I was discriminated against by the supervisor.

Very bias and discriminatory. Social and religious discrimination by the interviewer. A terrible place to work in. I was discriminated against by the supervisor of the English Language center.

Pros

High pay

Cons

unfairness, lack of transparency and professionalism

Friendly environment with good benefits

The environment is fun and exciting. But, because it is a quasi government organization, there are some restrictions to implement productivity and do performance review on unionized employees. Therefore, restrictions to coach and mentor unionized employees

Pros

Unionized environment with restrictions to implement productivity

Cons

Wor life balance is good

Jobs at York University

See more jobs

Good people to talk about your job.

It's about simulation in 3d using unity and I love to do that! The hardest most you have to do by your self but is ok in this case. Management is good.

Terrible management and false impressions

In the department where I work, I see that the University is focused on appearances and illusions rather than following logic. I saw first hand terrible management in high up positions (e.g. yelling at staff, flat out lying and making up things or 'facts' that make the University *sound good, cancelling meetings last minute to go on vacation and then blame it on an 'emergency,' etc). I found it to be an unethical environment with little accountability. Contracts would not be extended until last minute. Mine was not extended until literally a couple of days until it was done but I was still expected to take on work past the deadline. In fact, I was criticized because I declined to do further until I had a formal contract in writing. (My manager contacted me at 8:30 am to say that's not 'in line' with what people do or 'for' the University to refuse to work unless they provide a contract. I was shocked that she was suggesting that I was acting unprofessionally by *insisting that the University give me an actual written contract or else I would not continue to work after my contract ended. Often I see students get taken advantage of because they cannot stand up for themselves in this way). On another occasion, my own boss contacted me to say that she wanted to resign and didn't like her boss--very unprofessional. Furthermore, the University is very slow moving. I have heard it from colleagues and see it myself firsthand that if you have a good idea to improve the university things or your department then things are unlikely to change unless there is a protest or fear of a protest. -

Pros

Good benefits if you have a union

Cons

Bad management, little change, no accountability for management, no transparency of how high up decisions are made

Zero employee engagement

In all my job experience, this was my worst experience No one will be there for you to be with or work along side by side Everyone is selfish and always try to put on one another Even parking is not even free

Pros

Only the name York University

Cons

Good pay, but terrible management

Your salary is quite good, depending on your role. Benefits are somewhat okay, $500/year for massage is better than nothing, I suppose. Limited coverage in terms of mental health, yet they preach mental healthcare all the time. Maybe not all managers are like this, but this one is by far the worst. One of the managers literally was so awful to me (and in general) that in a meeting with HR and the union, my union rep had to tell her to stop being rude, stop rolling her eyes and that her attitude was hostile and aggressive. My union rep said he had never seen behaviour like this before and was utterly appalled and shocked. She literally blamed me for having IT issues when we started working at home during the start of COVID19. Meanwhile, I was doing everything I could to correct these problems with IT; which I figured out by myself. Specifically, she attempted to discipline me for not being able to receive emails and not being able to access the system due to my IT issues. I won that dispute and I was not disciplined, but who does that? Not to mention the vicious, hostile and horribly aggressive attitude she has. She claims I lack an attention to detail, but I have been at my second job for a long period of time and never had any issues (and I have been working with no issues for the last 15 years until this). It is beyond my control if I cannot access our awful remote system, but ultimately, she should be supportive and try to help me if that is the case, rather than discipline me. She never provided any positive feedback, was constantly sighing and saying, "oh my god," whenever -

Pros

Good salary, easy work

Cons

Benefits could be better, poor working culture, bureaucratic, slow and archaic practices

Productive and rewarding career.

My experience working at York was excellent. Great work / life balance. Meaningful/ rewarding career. I got to combine my passion for nursing with teaching in one role as clinical Educator.

Pros

Interesting, rewarding, well paid

Cons

Contract position- could not afford this type of employment in the long run

Prodcutive and helpful to others

A typical day at work is walking in and being able to help individuals or customers to the best of my abilities. Learning how to cater to the needs to individuals and adjust my own schedule and work style according tot he requirements of my job. Time management would be an asset to succeed at any job.

Pros

Networking

A good university to study.

A good university to study. I didn't work in this company. However, I gained lots of experience while studying there. York is a good university to gain hands on experience while studying.

Nice place to work with life balance

From the first day of my joining i enjoyed lot during my work. I can say the management and the whole staff is very helpful to each other. Nice place to have fun during work.

I like the diversity of work environment. If you are ready to work in a fast paced and challenging environment with great growth opportunities, then you are in the right direction. You can leverage your curiosity, with a desire to excel in a challenging environment.

awesome environment and very friendly

i was a student at YorkU when I worked there and its the best job I have done so far. I truly appreciate the respect my co-workers had for each other. this always reinforced a positive work environment. I worked a bilingual job and therefore it required me to be able to converse in French. I was paid more than a lot of my friends at their jobs, well above minimum wage and it allowed me save a lot. i really miss working there

It is good experience

Its is really good experience to work at York University, you can interact with other people and its really friendly environment, no stress what's so ever. Someone will enjoy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at York University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2