York University
Happiness score is 73 out of 100

York University: 580 Employee Reviews

Canada580 reviews

universitystudentprofessorstudyacademiccampusfacultyskill

I enjoyed working at the York Bookstore a lot. Management was great and they provided ample training before sending us out into the sales floor. Great PT job

Academia can be challenging and rewarding, but also draining

As a researcher at York University, I felt compelled to work in excess of 60 hours per week. This is not necessarily a problem that is specific to York, but that was my experience at York. Other than the major challenge posed by work-life balance, I found the work to be challenging and rewarding. I don't know if academia is for me, however, so your mileage may vary.

Pros

Research is rewarding and challenging

Cons

Poor work-life balance

Insights into York University

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose

Productive, fun, awesome

Loved mingling with other staff members at break times! The salary was amazing! Our supervisor and boss were the best! I got treated well by supervisor and boss! The environment is friendly and collaborative with lots of people from different cultures. I learned a lot as well.

Pros

Staff brought in snacks

Cons

Must be on time to return from breaks

Fast paced environment.

Fast paced environment. Unfortunately, silly rules are implemented which makes working there difficult. For instance, not allowed to have water on the person during a shift. As someone working line control for 8 hours, this was very difficult. I would have to go downstairs to the break room, get someone to cover me, just so I can have a sip of water.

Good Experience

It’s great for student experience and exposure to York University’s logistics. Amazing people, fast pace and learned so much from a lot of people. Would recommend.

Great place to work. A very positive environment. A very engaging and collaborative work culture (especially while working remotely). There was no sense of isolation

Easy if you are a student at York

Some days were fast, some were slow. On fast-paced days, you will be required to help multiple students find book for their courses. Operating the computer database is easy if you are a student at York as you will most likely already know the course codes. Hard part is dealing with customers when you have to tell them you are out of stock

Pros

Easy if you are a student

Cons

Rude customers

It’s a unionized job

There’s free food and you need your smart serve for events but overall it’s a great job people are very friendly and you will definitely fit in regardless of your previous work experience

Amazing team and job opportunities

The team is what made working here so much more fun. I was a work/study student and I was given many opportunity to learn from many parts of the department. You just need to put yourself out there

Fun workplace

I really enjoy this workplace. People are nice and supportive, salary is high. Workload is good, no need to work longer hours. I recommend this workplace

Review

Great place with a friendly environment. You learn a lot and become knowledgeable in empirical research and analysis. The only issue is the parking as it is hard to find them at times.

Pros

great community

Cons

Parking

Productive and Fun Enviroment

My experience working with York University has been great. I was able to meet a lot of great people and develop new skills as a progressed through my work. The culture is great; the manager is friendly and worker centric person. In my work there was no political problems.

Pros

Flexible Schedule and Shifts

Cons

Low Income

It was okay

It was alright but very stressful and the managers weren’t very understanding which is why i left. but it was easy money i guess. i learned to talk to customers though

Union Job, Outdated and Archaic Union

I used to enjoy the company and environment, as compensation was very fair, benefits were great.. that’s to offset the bad management tactics and horrible HR practices. The collective agreement ended in July 2021, the union is holding on the new agreement to protect the workers that, in turn, play the union to their own benefit. Interviewed internally for three roles after being in a position for a year+. Assisted with the implementation of a new booking system, tested and aided in the release (out of my agreement). Aided and assisted within frequent absences by my team members, one being away 1/3 of their contract, to be told I was not adequate for the position via email, twice, for the role I had been working within. This is a toxic work environment. If you want to be lead down a road of useless assurances, over worked and under appreciated, apply. If not, look elsewhere. They do not give credit to the merit of your work, just the tenure of your union membership. The team worked great during the Covid lockdown with Work From Home available, however, they are looking to move back to full 5 days in office, a step back in the wrong direction.

Pros

Good pay, benefits and paid vacation

Cons

Bad management tactics, no transparency, no respect

Good

Good pay and good working environment. Overall good experience and would it again. Everything was very easy and i could speak to professor and they were very responsive.

Great for Students

Great place to work, flexible schedule. Ideal for students. Management is extremely accommodating and understanding. Could get busy but overall I enjoyed working there.

Productive and fun place to work in

Managers were good and teammates were helpful. Overall, good place to work in since it was not much of a stress and workplace was good since there were lots of places to chill in due to the huge campus(keele campus).

York University Libraries is a great place to work.

Working as a Stacker (Shelving Assistant) at York University Libraries was great. I felt like I was contributing to the operations of patrons interacting with the library.

It is a fun place to be.

Overall good place to be, supportive team members, challenging work environment, great benefits and work life balance. The only downside is less growth opportunities internally.

Not welcome new ideas; bad management

Bad managers and non-collaborative colleagues(treat you differently when you are the contractor). The culture may vary team by team, but overall, the University is not welcome new ideas or changes. The supervisor can decide everything and can have a strong personal attitude toward you. No career growth at all.

Pleasant environment, co-workers cooperative and supportive

Conducted QA ResponsibilitiesGained knowledge of JIRA, Confluence and several modules of Enterprise Academic Application Services app.Management QA manager has strong leadership and teamwork skills, builder positive relationships with QA team.It took time and effort to learn application and integration points between modules.It was pleasure to work with friendly team.

Pros

Ability to communicate on different levels, to have learning sessions to understand better product

Cons

To improve process of using qa management tool between development and QA

Ask a question about working or interviewing at York University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement