York Search Group

York Search Group Employee Reviews

Canada31 reviews
YSG pleasure to work with
Started with YSG in June of 2019 untill i secured a fulltime position with remote artic mine.
Everyone at YSG were very friendly and helpful any question or concern i had and were happy to help in anyway they could. Good pay and great work schedule.
Work
Never know if you are going back to work and long layoffs also having to travel on short notice or stay longer short notice does help and not work sometimes if you have personal obligations before 2 weeks are off
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work
Middle man company
York is contractor for Baffinland, so it is depends on the Mine if you get rotation or not. If there is not rotation you can wait even for months prior get another one.
Pros
Contractor for mine
Cons
if is there not rotation you will not get excact date for return....even for months
Friendly people, great atmosphere
Great group of friendly people and relaxed atmosphere making a wonderful workplace culture.
I learned how to use SAP Program and various other programs.

Management are friendly and appreciative.
Very relaxed
Great people to work for always up on top of changes willing to take the time to work with you on solutions into and out of the workplace all around awesome!
Great people
Great people atmosphere and job placement. They are very responsive to your questions and concerns. If they call you. You be disappointed. I know I am not. I have a great job now because of working with the team.
Excellent and professional team.
Had a great experience working with YorkSearchGroup.
Thank you Team!Got an offer in a very short time and was promoted to the permanent position!

Thanks for the professionalisms!
Productive place to work
I found that this was a busy and productive employer. There was always something to do. Safety was very important - big on safety. I enjoyed working for this company.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at York Search Group?
Very satisfied
This company kept me working steady until I was able to get signed on permanently. They helped me get my foot in the mining industry and I’m grateful for it! Thanks York
Good people and good atmosphere
Great people, very professional if you had any questions or problems they would always try there hardest to take care of it right away. I was lucky enough to be working for them and they led me to my dream job at Baffin Land Iron Ore Mine. I highly recommended to go threw York search Group to fine your dream job they did it for me.
Pros
Great camp
Cons
Lots of long hrs but worth it
Excellent Placement Agency
York worked very hard for me to get me into a position at a mine site. A few of the start dates didn't work out but they kept at it and soon got me up here. After a few rotations I was then hired full-time permanent. The people at York were always helpful and upfront. I have since recommended 2 people who have become employed through York and would highly recommend them to anyone.
Pros
Paid flights, helpful and attentive coordinators
Challenging Workplace with great rewards
A challenging career with great co-workers. Travel days can be frustrating and exhausting but the rotation of 2/2 is great. Management is very helpful with an open door policy.
Coming to work for York search group was the best decision I ever made!
The management and staff of this company were always friendly and would go out if their way to help you.They were always accommodating with any issue that you might have.i can honestly say that they put their employees first!
Will lie to you consistently. Just to make money off you. Not to b trusted
This place is a job mill. Don't trust them they will almost certainly lie to you to make money off you. And if you are thinking of quiting a full time job for the so called temporary to full time thing. It's a lie ESPECIALLY with baffinland. Any decent tradesmen will want to leave after the first day. Safety takes the back seat of the plane that takes way too long to get you there. The promise of overtime is a lie. The camp is in the middle of a construction zone and u will go without sleep.
Pros
Can't think of anything
Cons
Everything else
Official response from York Search Group
22 July 2019
We have placed many many satisfied people. We are very upfront with the challenges of working in the Arctic. It is NOT for everyone and we make sure people are well-informed about the challenges of working in the far North. We spent a lot of time with you about this opportunity and you committed to us for the start. Almost immediately, upon your arrival at Site, you sent me a very aggressive email and that "this would be your last email to me." I alerted the Super about your email and concerns, after which they seeked you out and had a good conversation. You sent me a note the next morning thanking me for linking you up with the management and that you were "Definitely going to give this a chance and thank you for getting them in touch with me there on the first day. Made all the difference. Settled in and on the tools tomorrow. Have a good weekend and I hope no hard feelings." Unfortunately, problems persisted and management let me know that they did not think you would be a good long-term fit for them and as such asked me to remove you from upcoming schedules. There is no sense wasting any more of their time or yours if the fit is not there. However, once I advised you about this you proceeded to send me several nasty emails accusing our company of everything under the sun. As mentioned, we have placed many happy people over the years and I regret hiring you. Again, I am sorry that this position did not work out for you despite our best attempts. Regarding your comment that camp is a Construction Zone, I appreciate your comments. There is for sure a lot of activity - more...
Good work place
Great company , easy to deal with answers all questions in a timely manner, no issues with payroll or booking flights. The team was always willing to help if needed adjustments in schedules.
Pros
Flights, good camp with gym and rec room
Great place to work,
Good place to work, people you work with are the best
Always willing to help,

Camp life is as good as any other, friendly people, good food,

Long travel , but all worth it at the end...
Pros
Great co- workers, good safety, excellent food.
Cons
Camp needs improvment, living quarters
Nice people, but disorganized and sketchy clients
York approached me to work as a mechanic with one of their clients in the Far North. Everything sounded good when I spoke to them at first.......but.

They are horribly disorganized at the office(Toronto) and you need to call and bug them for paperwork and explanations of the paperwork and anything else they should be providing up front. They don't really take care of you as employee. They also tend to bend the truth about compensation. As an example, when they give you an hourly rate it includes your 2% vacation pay, but they make it seem like it's on top of your rate....which seems a little underhanded

They also have a bad habit of not telling you the truth about where you are going and what the place is like. But I guess if your client is sketchy why tell the truth about them. All in all, probably not the worst place to work, but you want to press them for the truth.
Pros
Pretty decent pay, people are "nice" to deal with
Cons
Rather disorganized truth benders
Official response from York Search Group
21 January 2019
Hello, we are disappointed to hear about your experience working for us. It's hard for us to comment on your sense that we were disorganized - if you felt this, we apologize. We try our best, and have had a good track-record or successfully helping people get good, full-time jobs, as well as managing all the documents required including criminal checks, medicals, safety certifications, and travel assistance.

However, with regard to "bending the truth", we can unequivocally state that we disclose our pay package and all of the pros and cons about working for our clients up front, numerous times, and in writing, numerous times, before we offer anyone a job and before you accept. There is no fine print with us. It does not exist. We have no interest in hiring people who do not want to work for us or our clients.
Ysg
The York Search Group team Got me where I wanted to go. With great pay and aswesome ppl to work with. They sure do take care of there hard workers. Cheers!
Good Experience
Worked through YSG until getting hired on full time. Was nice to communicate one on one with the people who run the company when I needed info. They are flexible and will work with you around your available times. Would recommend working through them.
Pros
Expenses paid for
Excellent group of people
York search group was more than helpful in all aspects from the moment I submitted a resume to the moment I became a full time employee at my new job. David, jenna, suja and megan were very friendly, professional and readily available for all inquiries I had. I hadn't walked into my new position un educated and in some instances they had went above and beyond to help me with travel. I cant say enough about how amazing it was to work for such a friendly and helpful company
Pros
Extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgable
Cons
No benefits but was made aware before being hired
productive
while working for york search group i was tossed from one job to another, this was a typical day. it was an eye opening experience working in a camp for the first time, management was unaware what if any action other parts of the company were exciting. the workplace culture was grate the diversity made every encounter a learning moment. the hardest part of the job was no knowing what job i would be doing from day to day. the most enjoyable part of the job was working in a newly opened mine where my experience was so valued.
Pros
fun people
Cons
mismanagement
Ask a question about working or interviewing at York Search Group. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3