York Search Group Employee Reviews

Nice people, but disorganized and sketchy clients
HD Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Baffinland5 January 2019
York approached me to work as a mechanic with one of their clients in the Far North. Everything sounded good when I spoke to them at first.......but.

They are horribly disorganized at the office(Toronto) and you need to call and bug them for paperwork and explanations of the paperwork and anything else they should be providing up front. They don't really take care of you as employee. They also tend to bend the truth about compensation. As an example, when they give you an hourly rate it includes your 2% vacation pay, but they make it seem like it's on top of your rate....which seems a little underhanded

They also have a bad habit of not telling you the truth about where you are going and what the place is like. But I guess if your client is sketchy why tell the truth about them. All in all, probably not the worst place to work, but you want to press them for the truth.
Pros
Pretty decent pay, people are "nice" to deal with
Cons
Rather disorganized truth benders
Official response from York Search Group
21 January 2019

Hello, we are disappointed to hear about your experience working for us. It's hard for us to comment on your sense that we were disorganized - if you felt this, we apologize. We try our best, and have had a good track-record or successfully helping people get good, full-time jobs, as well as managing all the documents required including criminal checks, medicals, safety certifications, and travel assistance.

However, with regard to "bending the truth", we can unequivocally state that we disclose our pay package and all of the pros and cons about working for our clients up front, numerous times, and in writing, numerous times, before we offer anyone a job and before you accept. There is no fine print with us. It does not exist. We have no interest in hiring people who do not want to work for us or our clients.

Good Experience
Truck and Transport Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Baffinland Iron Mines3 November 2018
Worked through YSG until getting hired on full time. Was nice to communicate one on one with the people who run the company when I needed info. They are flexible and will work with you around your available times. Would recommend working through them.
Pros
Expenses paid for
Excellent group of people
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Nunavut30 October 2018
York search group was more than helpful in all aspects from the moment I submitted a resume to the moment I became a full time employee at my new job. David, jenna, suja and megan were very friendly, professional and readily available for all inquiries I had. I hadn't walked into my new position un educated and in some instances they had went above and beyond to help me with travel. I cant say enough about how amazing it was to work for such a friendly and helpful company
Pros
Extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgable
Cons
No benefits but was made aware before being hired
productive
Operator (Former Employee) –  Nunavut9 October 2018
while working for york search group i was tossed from one job to another, this was a typical day. it was an eye opening experience working in a camp for the first time, management was unaware what if any action other parts of the company were exciting. the workplace culture was grate the diversity made every encounter a learning moment. the hardest part of the job was no knowing what job i would be doing from day to day. the most enjoyable part of the job was working in a newly opened mine where my experience was so valued.
Pros
fun people
Cons
mismanagement
very bad experience
operator trainer (Former Employee) –  Baffin Bay, NU7 September 2018
hired me to travel, had me incur more than a thousand dollars in expenses..then canceled trip with less than 24hrs notice. Don't waste your time with these disreputable people!
Pros
Cons
disreputable
Official response from York Search Group
10 September 2018

We are sorry to hear of your experience. Unfortunately, in order to get a position with one of our clients we require a complete medical and references; in addition, some clients also require a criminal record check. If any of these criteria are not met, then we may be unable to place you with one of our clients.

We never ask anyone to pay any up front fees. Typically, our mining clients require drug and alcohol testing and fit-for-work medical assessments. Any D+A test are paid by us, and the costs of the medical are reimbursed in full if we are not able to start you for work. If you incurred any travel costs related to fulfilling your start date with us and this was cancelled, we always reimburse this cost.

Journeyman Carpenter
Journeyman Carpenter (Current Employee) –  york search group20 April 2018
Loved the work environment with , we worked together. i learned how to adapted my skills to different work sites. the hardest part was adapting to extreme cold. In any employment there are difficulties that you need to work through. The most enjoyable part ia accomplishing and finishing task of the day.
Very interactive and friendly
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2018
It is a always a friendly and positive atmosphere. The company is small and quant, which allows everyone to really connect and get to know one another.
If you’re looking for placement please use them!
Placement (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON16 November 2017
Such great people to work with! Dave and Kim were absolutely amazing to deal with. They helped me find a job within a week! Great attitudes and such nice people! I highly recommend them if you are looking for some assistance with finding a job.
Great Company!
Operator (Current Employee) –  Nunavut5 October 2017
YSG is an awesome company to work for. All the workers of YSG took much of their time to make sure all my questions were answered. Thanks for helping me work my way to receiving a full time position at my current job location.
Pros
Awesome team!
Great owner
Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2017
We were a small team with a great leader who is a great visionary as well as willing to roll up his sleeves and lead by example. I learned a lot from this company and team.
Pros
Great Team, Great Location, Great Leadership

Want to know more about York Search Group?

Ask a question
Questionable northern client
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Baffinland26 May 2017
Jobs in Nunavut questionable the people they actually require seems to be a in the door out find another. When it comes to promises of northern jobs for northern qualifiers parent mining group takes it as a joke robbing minerals for QIA and giving very little back. Hiring group is more a front company for Minings excuse. Many a mechanic had been burnt by its job hire. Suggest either company unionists its members or comes clean with policy
Pros
A job
Cons
Sad excuses
I wish I had Foubd York Search Group sooner
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 August 2016
York Search Group provided an excellent experience, very professional staff and great service. I recommend thier services with confidence and am very pleased.
I honestly wish I had found York Search Group sooner.
Pros
Friendly and very efficient staff
Serious Company
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2016
serious business .
Work fast, efficient and transparent
pleasant working environment
Appears solidity and security of the information and knowledge presented
A small firm with some refreshing ideas
Business Manager, Mining Operations (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2014
An enjoyable experience thus far, with senior staff that has been extremely supportive of both my professional and personal life. A group that has come together to help each other both inside and outside the office as life extends beyond your job title. York Search Group is a small firm located in the heart of the Distillery Historic District in Toronto, ON with a focus on Engineer and Construction recruitment and although the firm is small the group works well together and strives to continue to improve, learn and assist in each others progression.