YORK REGIONAL POLICE

YORK REGIONAL POLICE Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews

Same as many police services in Ontario. There are pros and cons, but overall (aside from some negative culture) it is a good workplace.

Dynamic and growing police service. Salary and benefits are great. There are cultural issues at play and that provides for some negative interactions. You must be associated to the "in" group in order to succeed.

Pros

Technology, salary, benefits

Cons

Poor working culture

It was a youth program and I got paid LOL. It was fun.

Since it was a youth program, we didn't do much "heavy duty" stuff. It was more going to different places and helping companies out, like the SPCA and Clarico Place etc. Fun if you have the opportunity to do this in High School. Let me have a bunch of new experiences that I would never have somewhere else.

Insights into YORK REGIONAL POLICE

What people like
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Officers and civilians alike had access to cafeteria. Workout facilities provided free of charge.

- Switchboard was Monday to Friday, shift work.- Records (RIB) based on continental shifts. Assigned to a platoon, and worked 12 hour shifts, two days and two nights. Direct voice reporting by officers from the districts, before, after, and during shifts.- Administrative Assistant, Monday to Friday, day shifts only.There was the usual workplace politics, but once appreciated could be navigated and work ethic was good. Chain of command was adhered to, and while management was not always available, supervisors were.It was a challenge at times to keep pace with changes in policy.From a personal perspective, I most enjoyed the report taking and one on one interaction with officers in the field. It was then I felt most useful. However, all phases undergo change and adjustment, and I could find enjoyable features in every work assignment.There was a facility provided where staff from all departments could mingle and relax, complete with a bar, some fast food/snacks, pool table, soccer field, and baseball diamond.

Pros

Excellent benefits, very good wages, friendly and helpful co-workers. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Personality conflicts could be difficult to cope with, but no job is perfect.

Excellent learning opportunity

Outstanding opportunity for self development in skills and team work. We learn family and relational dynamics as well as investigative and interviewing skills.

Pros

Amazing learning opportunity and skill set development

Cons

Shift work/occupational stress injury potential

A career that I miss

Loved being a police officer for York Regional Police. many opportunities and paths you can follow. Room for promotion if its something you are interested in. All facilities have a gym for keeping in shape. Reired after 30 years due to an injury which was causing too much pain.

Pros

Great group of people

Cons

can be very stressful

Possibly one of the best policing choices in Canada

York Regional Police was my premier choice of agencies to work for when I applied 25 years ago (retired now). In my former career as a television news journalist, I had the many opportunities to deal with provincial and municipal agencies from Burk’s Falls to Toronto, Brampton to Kingston. There was no doubt where I wanted to go. There was always an extra edge of pride and professionalism at YRP that others never quite seemed to match. This was borne out in my 22+ years on the force. The people I worked with were, almost without exception bright, dedicated, talented, diverse. The brother/sisterhood teamwork was almost always alive and well. Sure there were differences, but there was not one person I ever worked with who I felt bad about going with into the worst possible situation. And in York Region you will have the potential to be exposed to *every* policing situation from cows on the road in rural areas to daylight gang murders in restaurant parking lots And everything in between. The opportunities in YRP are virtually limitless; if it’s a part of policing, YRP has it from General Patrol duties to Criminal Investigations, School Resource Officers, Recruiting, Emergency Response Unit and Canine Units, Forensic Identification and my favourite, as I spent my last 5 years there, the Air Support Unit. Yes, there are pitfalls such as supervisors who should never have been promoted to their positions. There is politics, just like any large organization. If you learn to navigate those issues, the job on the ground is incredibly rewarding.

Pros

Constant challenges; self-directed; teamwork; public contact; high-stress; endless career choices

Cons

Night shifts; some corporate policies; difficult supervisors

Excellent place to work

I had a fantastic career working with great people. At York Regional Police you have the ability to make a difference in our community and make it a safe place to live.

A good stable place to work with a completive work environment

The organization strives for excellence and in many cases succeeds. There are many avenues of policing where you can work so boredom should never become an issue. There are ample opportunities for advancement if you are a go getter.

Great leadership

Great management, opportunities to develop, great overall culture. Lots of collaboration and if you're willing to learn, folks are willing to teach you.

Productive, informative, fun work experience

The summer program was extremely informative, useful, and an overall fun learning experience.

Excellent workplace

As a police officer, there is no such thing as a typical day. They are very fluent and constantly changing which is one of the most enjoyable parts of the job. Every unit I worked in was unique, requiring its own set of job skills and training. Everyday there was something new to learn, which meant no two days were the same. The job culture was very good, as was security and advancement. York Regional Police is an excellent policing organization. The hardest part of the job was seeing sad things, helping people whose lives were changed forever and sometimes the uncertainty of what was going to happen next. However, these things could also be the best parts because it is very rewarding to help people and be effective at doing so.

Pros

Pride

Cons

Sad things

Very good work environment!

When I was in the yipi program it was a real eye opener for young people interested in policing or first responding. The tours and other career opportunities we explored had a major impact on helping me decide on what I would like to do in the future. I wish more people knew about this amazing opportunity

Pros

Once in a lifetime opportunity, great opportunities to network, enjoyable

Cons

Only a summer position, I would have loved to continue

Fun workplace with incredible opportunities for professional and personal growth

York Regional Police provides countless opportunities for their employees to grow both professionally and personally. I loved every moment of my employment with York Regional Police. I had the opportunity to hold several positions within the organization during my tenure.

Pros

Ability for job development

Great work environment

The people i met and were able to work along side were fantastic. The experience i gained will greatly assist me in my future career. The hours were great and pay was never an issue

Very poor management

They claim best employer - however the treatment of the employees is very poor in many areas (lots of bullying, harassment and duty allocation inequality). An extremely poor human resources department. There are great benefits and if you have a University education you will have access to apply to some good paying positions.

Would do it again

It was a life changing experience, would definitely love to work here again, hours, pay, and management were thoroughly organized. Too bad their not always hiring.

Great Career

The police association which acts like a union is amazing and extremely supportive of its members. The actual job is very rewarding and I absolutely loved it.

Pros

Job security

Cons

managements lack of empathy for the employees

Amazing Job Placement

i worked there as a temporary worker too learn more about police officers. it was never a boring day at the job, there was always something new to do. I learned a lot about the Human Resources department and what police officers do in the office. The hardest job of the part was getting around from place to place, it was a very grand HQ, and having to organize everything for when they were moving out, was difficult. The most enjoyable was being able to work with the officers, and get to know their work environment.

Pros

Great coworkers, great compensation, very friendly staff

Cons

can be very demanding and being a quick learner is a must

Great place to work!

Working with YRP was great. It was a good workplace and gave young students the chance to see the criminal justice side of the world. It was great being able to help out in the community and work with kids. The hours were great and didn't interfere with our school life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YORK REGIONAL POLICE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement