YORK REGIONAL POLICE

YORK REGIONAL POLICE Employee Reviews

Canada14 reviews
York Regional Police was my premier choice of agencies to work for when I applied 25 years ago (retired now). In my former career as a television news journalist, I had the many opportunities to deal with provincial and municipal agencies from Burk’s Falls to Toronto, Brampton to Kingston. There was no doubt where I wanted to go.

There was always an extra edge of pride and professionalism at YRP that others never quite seemed to match. This was borne out in my 22+ years on the force. The people I worked with were, almost without exception bright, dedicated, talented, diverse. The brother/sisterhood teamwork was almost always alive and well. Sure there were differences, but there was not one person I ever worked with who I felt bad about going with into the worst possible situation. And in York Region you will have the potential to be exposed to *every* policing situation from cows on the road in rural areas to daylight gang murders in restaurant parking lots And everything in between.

The opportunities in YRP are virtually limitless; if it’s a part of policing, YRP has it from General Patrol duties to Criminal Investigations, School Resource Officers, Recruiting, Emergency Response Unit and Canine Units, Forensic Identification and my favourite, as I spent my last 5 years there, the Air Support Unit.

Yes, there are pitfalls such as supervisors who should never have been promoted to their positions. There is politics, just like any large organization. If you learn to navigate those issues, the job on the ground is incredibly rewarding.
Pros
Constant challenges; self-directed; teamwork; public contact; high-stress; endless career choices
Cons
Night shifts; some corporate policies; difficult supervisors
I had a fantastic career working with great people. At York Regional Police you have the ability to make a difference in our community and make it a safe place to live.
The organization strives for excellence and in many cases succeeds. There are many avenues of policing where you can work so boredom should never become an issue. There are ample opportunities for advancement if you are a go getter.
Great management, opportunities to develop, great overall culture. Lots of collaboration and if you're willing to learn, folks are willing to teach you.
The summer program was extremely informative, useful, and an overall fun learning experience.
As a police officer, there is no such thing as a typical day. They are very fluent and constantly changing which is one of the most enjoyable parts of the job. Every unit I worked in was unique, requiring its own set of job skills and training. Everyday there was something new to learn, which meant no two days were the same.

The job culture was very good, as was security and advancement. York Regional Police is an excellent policing organization.

The hardest part of the job was seeing sad things, helping people whose lives were changed forever and sometimes the uncertainty of what was going to happen next. However, these things could also be the best parts because it is very rewarding to help people and be effective at doing so.
Pros
Pride
Cons
Sad things
When I was in the yipi program it was a real eye opener for young people interested in policing or first responding. The tours and other career opportunities we explored had a major impact on helping me decide on what I would like to do in the future. I wish more people knew about this amazing opportunity
Pros
Once in a lifetime opportunity, great opportunities to network, enjoyable
Cons
Only a summer position, I would have loved to continue
York Regional Police provides countless opportunities for their employees to grow both professionally and personally. I loved every moment of my employment with York Regional Police. I had the opportunity to hold several positions within the organization during my tenure.
Pros
Ability for job development
The people i met and were able to work along side were fantastic. The experience i gained will greatly assist me in my future career. The hours were great and pay was never an issue
They claim best employer - however the treatment of the employees is very poor in many areas (lots of bullying, harassment and duty allocation inequality). An extremely poor human resources department. There are great benefits and if you have a University education you will have access to apply to some good paying positions.
It was a life changing experience, would definitely love to work here again, hours, pay, and management were thoroughly organized. Too bad their not always hiring.
The police association which acts like a union is amazing and extremely supportive of its members.
The actual job is very rewarding and I absolutely loved it.
Pros
Job security
Cons
managements lack of empathy for the employees
i worked there as a temporary worker too learn more about police officers. it was never a boring day at the job, there was always something new to do. I learned a lot about the Human Resources department and what police officers do in the office. The hardest job of the part was getting around from place to place, it was a very grand HQ, and having to organize everything for when they were moving out, was difficult. The most enjoyable was being able to work with the officers, and get to know their work environment.
Pros
Great coworkers, great compensation, very friendly staff
Cons
can be very demanding and being a quick learner is a must
Working with YRP was great. It was a good workplace and gave young students the chance to see the criminal justice side of the world. It was great being able to help out in the community and work with kids. The hours were great and didn't interfere with our school life.