York Region logo
York Region

York Region Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Productive and Collaborative with a dedicated team of professionals

The days were busy working in the office and directly with clients. Being able to manage your time was very important! There is opportunity for advancement.

Pros

Individual case loads and great team members to share collaboration and ideas!

Cons

Long hours some days!

Management Top Heavy

The salary and benefits are industry leaders but there is a reason for that. The organization has to many managers that spend to much time trying to justify their positions. The end result is that the average employee suffers. The commissioner came from the private sector and new Director the same, result? Neanderthal thinking, ie; operations switched to 24/7 schedule. 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. They think there is a cost savings, trust me, no cost savings, 40 hour work week spread out into 168 hour work week with 40 hours of work. Other municipalities have tried it but found that it wasn't feasible. Unfortunately management is more concerned about there own vertical movement in the organization to voice a dissenting opinion, the end result is the workers affected by this decision have there lives turned upside down. I have seen management scramble to clean up operations centre, spending tens of thousands of dollars to impress the local councillors on there visit during public works day. Council is being hoodwinked by the current management team, too much waste and stupid new initiatives that do nothing but pump up managements ego. One more thing, if management doesn't like you, they will find a way to get rid of you. I have seen this done too many times to some very talented employees.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Poor management

Wonderful learning and supportive enviroment.

The team I worked with during my Co-op was dedicated to providing excellent services to the residence of York Region. My day included maintaining the communication devices for all intersections around York Region while providing support to the team.

Great work environment

It was an exceptional working experience and I enjoyed the team atmosphere. The work was challenged, provided great opportunities to learn and had a great deal of daily variety in tasks.

fun and supportive work place

I have worked there for 10 years, salary and benefits are good. Enjoy the job, training opportunities and challenges I can apply for to further develop my skills.

great working relationships

great co-workers and excellent environmnet....monthly bbq to reminesce....yearly golf tournament... learned respect towards cliental management has open door policy being aware of our surrounding at all times

Outstanding employer with amazing workforce

It was a pleasure to work with York Region and I look forward to future opportunities to go back. They had flexible work weeks but also offered set hours. They provided us with the necessary tools that we needed to get our job completed. Staff were friendly and facilitated a learning environment.

A good and supportive staff

 Motivated clients in their daily job search  Prepared youth Employment Centre by actively preparing literature/job board and brochures  Assisted in resume, letter writing and distribution of monthly workshops with surrounding agencies  Promoted ongoing training programs  Attended to clients needs and awareness of community programs  Attended resume workshops at Job skill, York Works and other agencies within the community  Assisted clients with computers, access to job postings and computer templates  Organized Employment Services Room for clients easy access  Excelled in confidentiality of clients notes on SDMT  Arranged appointment dialog with clients according to their needs

Pros

great people

Cons

Excellent salary and benefits package

Large employer with excellent salary and benefits package.

Good work environment with a great group of people

Learned many transportation study methods to help with future designs. Great group of people who were always available when I had questions or needed help. Gave me experience working in the public sector environment and dealing with public inquiries. Given overtime hours in order to perform traffic studies.

Jobs at York Region

See more jobs

Awesome Place to Work!

Everyday was well organized and everyone was well prepared. Management and co-workers all had great relationships and made for a very comfortable work place.

Learning Experience in Corporate Setting

Ability to learn as part of a team and contribute to a variety of communications projects.

Great Benefits

Excellent benefits and salary, not much room for advancement. Typical day started in office for 1 hour then out in the field for the remainder of the day, interacting with the public. Little management required, a lot of independence to complete your tasks and assignments. Co-workers were excellent. Top 100 employers in province.

Pros

Freedom to set your own day's assignments

Cons

little to no advancement

Offered some of my best opportunities in any of my jobs

I mostly carried out my assigned research projects independently. The projects turned out to be among my greatest professional achievements in my young career. The products developed in those projects continue to be used and referred to today.I learned about key trends in my profession, and how to plan out projects.My supervisors provide strong guidance on projects. They are also very personable and I enjoyed their hospitality in house parties.Co-workers are friendly and helpful. It is very easy to ask for help.Hardest Part - Long commute (I spent 2 hours by bus each way),Enjoyable Part - Working on important projects.

Pros

working on some of my most memorable projects, attending house parties hosted by staff

Cons

long commute

A typical day as a case worker

A typical day at work involved interview new clients everyday and following up with ongoing clients; working side by side with managers, supervisors and other co-workers to ensure the perfect outcome for the agency. Most enjoyable part of my job was when I helped people everyday and got positive feed backs from them.

Rewarding with room for advancement

Structured Day with emphasis on work/ life balanceFrequent staff position changes with opportunity to work in other departments

Pros

8:30-4:30

Cons

commute distance

A job that I looked forward to performing

I enjoyed the opportunity to gain experience working for a municipal government.Unfortunately this position was temporary as the incumbent was seconded to a temporary opportunity.

Pros

working with professional staff

productive work place

overall fun work place, learnt a lot. people are nice and they are willing to train. clean environment.

An enjoyable job.

It is a great company to work for, they are fair and treat people with respect. I would suggest anyone to work for this company, I only wish to leave because I want to move to a different province.

Pros

pay is good.

Cons

want to move to quebec